Poll: Who hears has owned or owns a spider amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who hears has owned or owns a spider amp?
I have one and love it
7 15%
I have one and don't like it
1 2%
I had one and didn't like it
9 19%
I don't want one
25 52%
I am planning to buy one
1 2%
I threw mine out the window
5 10%
Voters: 48.
It seems to be a pretty popular little amp, so I was just curious who hear owns or has owned one and what you think/thought about it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Dec 12, 2011,
Hmm......this reminds me of another thread I read quite a while ago......something to do with MGs

I owned a spider iv 15w. Is that all you need to know?

EDIT: Your poll doesn't have a "I had one and liked it" option. I was quite an amp noob back then so I liked it. Didn't know better but it was a nice, easy to use amp. Much easier and straightforward than the other modelers out there.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Dec 12, 2011,
cleans on the 30 were great.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
cleans on the 30 were great.
that's good to know.
I have a 15 watt one. I love the damn thing.

Loud enough, cheap as fuck, and surprisingly not shit. Good enough for me, as a practice, take anywhere and not give a shit what happens to it, amp.

Other than that, not a fan of them.
Thought it was cool when a friend got a Spider III 30W like 5 years ago. The cleans and the light overdrive sounded decent.
The verb was ok too.

The INSANE!!!!!! channel sounded like ass though.

I've never owned one myself.
its a good practise amp. i have the 75W spider 2 and its great. but i wouldnt gig with it
i have a vypyr and my friend has a spider III. they are pretty much the same but i like my vypyr more because it has more effect and the heavy gain doesnt sound as digital. if you can get a tube hybrid vypyr, go for that. nothing gets better than a tube modeling amp lol
Last edited by ciano16 at Dec 13, 2011,

But yeah I had a spider. It was okay
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I have the 30 watt Spider III. I'll tell you what, for all the hate they get, I rather like mine. When you compare it too good amps, of course it isn't the best. But when you take it for what it is, a versatile practice amp, it excels. I get damn good distortion out of it, the cleans are great of a SS amp, and the thing pumps out a good sound for what it is. Plus, the built in effects are great for anyone practicing, covering songs, or just messing about. The crunch channel is disappointing and the metal channel is underwhelming in my opinion as well, but the clean channel pulls off some great tones in my opinion, and dialing in the insane channel to a non-noobish amount of gain and without scooping the mids (admit it, we've all done it hahaha), I've gotten great metal tones out of it, especially when considering the fact that it sounds great a bedroom practice levels and, at the end of the day, that's what it's for. That said, I don't condone the Spider half-stacks (other than the exception that is the current Bogner MKII head which is excellent for what it is) because it's pretty much a giant practice amp and defeats the purpose, but hey, to each his own. For what it's worth, I love the smaller Spiders and I probably wouldn't buy a different small practice amp (other than something from Roland's Cube series) besides a Spider.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
My friend had one, I'd certainly take a Spider over an MG.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i hadnt used mine for a year, then joined UG and was like "i dont remember it being THAT bad" so i plugged it back in

it was that bad
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I had one for 6 month to a year. When I bought it I thought it was the greatest thing ever made. Later... not so much. I mean it's not a bad practice amp, and it has a good amount of decent effects for new players to try out, and tweak. Mine was the 75W spider III. It was loud enough to keep up with a drummer. You really need the shortboard controller with it, otherwise you're trying to turn knobs and push buttons on the front panel while playing to change anything. Plus the shotboard has a volume pedal.... which doesn't act like a volume pedal through a tube amp. Instead of acting like your guitars' volume knob, it acts like your amp's volume knob. In fact, when I got my first tube amp I bought a volume pedal thinking it would have the same effect. I was actually kinda disappointed. I was under the impression I could use it like an attenuator

The spiders get a lot of hate on here, but it's mainly because the other options in the price range are better. They aren't THAT bad if you go into it knowing it's not pro level gear. My first amp ever was some generic 10 or 15W peavey practice amp that came with my guitar... Now THAT amp sucked ass.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
I had one for 6 month to a year. When I bought it I thought it was the greatest thing ever made. Later... not so much. I mean it's not a bad practice amp, and it has a good amount of decent effects for new players to try out, and tweak. Mine was the 75W spider III. It was loud enough to keep up with a drummer. You really need the shortboard controller with it, otherwise you're trying to turn knobs and push buttons on the front panel while playing to change anything. Plus the shotboard has a volume pedal.... which doesn't act like a volume pedal through a tube amp. Instead of acting like your guitars' volume knob, it acts like your amp's volume knob. In fact, when I got my first tube amp I bought a volume pedal thinking it would have the same effect. I was actually kinda disappointed. I was under the impression I could use it like an attenuator

The spiders get a lot of hate on here, but it's mainly because the other options in the price range are better. They aren't THAT bad if you go into it knowing it's not pro level gear. My first amp ever was some generic 10 or 15W peavey practice amp that came with my guitar... Now THAT amp sucked ass.

I think you are using the volume pedal wrong...
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Solid state spiders are nice for what they are, lightweight bedroom-practice amps with effects. I owned a 30 watt one and it served it's purpose.

I also had a Spider Valve combo which sounded much better. I actually think I may get another one (or a Vetta combo) so I don't need to carry my entire rig to band practice.
Thanks for being honest guys.
the high wattage spiders are pointless, impractical and overpriced. but for bedroom practice the smaller ones do the job just fine.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Mopy
I think you are using the volume pedal wrong...

Not sure what you mean
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
You can use a volume pedal in two ways:

1.) Between the guitar and the amp to reduce the input signal before it hits the amp.

2.) In the amp's effects loop to control the signal (volume) between preamp and power amp. More or less just another volume control on your amp.

Yes, they attenuate your signal down but should not be confused with an actual guitar amplifier attenuator that is resister based or load based. Those have specific purposes that a volume pedal cannot accomplish.

PS: these threads are pointless
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 13, 2011,
I threw mine out the window and set it on fire
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Ghostmaker
Solid state spiders are nice for what they are, lightweight bedroom-practice amps with effects. I owned a 30 watt one and it served it's purpose.

I also had a Spider Valve combo which sounded much better. I actually think I may get another one (or a Vetta combo) so I don't need to carry my entire rig to band practice.

nice little practice amp! not for gigs or recording. i just used my POD for that, but if you dont wanna pay out the ass and bother people, the 30 w is more than enough
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
had a spidervalve hd100 for a bit, wasnt a bad amp for the price (bought it used, head, cab and floorboard for under $1000) buying it new is kind of a waste, for 1500 you can do better....but i always liked line 6's versatility and ease of use back then. kinda moved on from modeling amps in favor of what ive found to be my favorite type of tone. ive also got a little 15w practice amp. tough as nails and surprisingly doesnt sound terrible.....except for the insane channel, which as mentioned above sounds like garbage.
My thread is alive!