So as I mentioned yesterday, I made an offer on some guys PRS on a local classifieds site. I got this wine red soapbar II and case for 400 bucks. Aside from a small nick on the bottom corner of the headstock, the guitar is mint.

Initially I was amazed at how good it feels and plays. The guy didn't have an amp at his house, so all i could do was pluck away at it acoustically. The neck on it fits perfectly in my hand, and i'd dare say it's even more comfortable than my les paul. Also it weighs about half as much as my LP.

When I got home and plugged it in, the first thing I noticed was the hum when using only the neck or only the bridge pickup. the center position cancels the hum. single coil P-90's. they produce an ok sound for stock pickups, but the hum drives me nuts. Also, when I switch back and forth between those and the active SD's i have on my les paul, it makes them seem muffled in comparison. I'm gonna give it a week to see if they grow on me, but right off the bat i think they might be out the door.

I love the look, I love the feel, I love the way it plays, but i'm going to have to work on the sound. I think I might use it for drop tuning...throw some heavy strings on there and learn to play some system of a down and limp bizkit. For a base model it's not too shabby at all. If it costs me another 100$ to get hotter pickups then i'd say i still came out on top.

Tomorrow I'll make a video comparing the P-90's to my Seymour Duncan humbuckers....i'd do it tonight but my daughter just fell asleep and when a teething monster sleeps you don't do anything that might wake her.
Sexey!!!!!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Also, I was really planning on getting one of the PRS models that had the bird inlays...and I almost passed this over because it looks like it has boring old dots. But they're actually crecent moons, and the blacked out part is just darker abalone/mother of pearl/whatever. Looks sorta like a partial lunar eclipse.

you could always put stacked p-90s in there to oust the hum.

or minibuckers.

HNGD!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I used to have one of those in sunburst. Pretty nice guitar, although I was never completely excited by the stock pickups.

HNGD.
Hi, I'm Peter
Sexy guitar man, very nice
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I LOVE the Soapbars! The neck pup in particular is just awesome! I've only played through a Lollar P90 in the bridge, so can't really comment on the stock one there.

They're fantastic guitars. Don't worry about the hum, just crank your amp and have at it!

Oh, and HNGD!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
You can try the stacked p90's seymour Duncan sells.

And other option is to shield the cavities with shielded paint, that will greatly reduce hum.
Nice, are you going to change the pickups?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
A stacked P90 probably won't fit in the neck position but it should definitely fit in the bridge. Give that a try if you can't live with the hum. P90 tone isn't really meant for high gain anyway, hum or not.

But HNGD, I do like PRS's take on the old dot inlay.
Oh yeah, and moons rock too!

I know plenty of PRS peeps that prefer moons over birds. I'd like to have some moons myself. Of my PRS, one is dots and the other is birds. Moons are the shizzle!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Just for grins, try turning off ALL lights close by to see if the buzzing is minimized - or in some cases will go away altogether. Different type of light bulbs can influence the noise you may or may not hear. Depends on many factors, including the amp, cable, effect pedals, etc. If you hear a difference, turn them back on one by one to see which light is the culprit. This is not a joke.

I've dealt with a very similar issue before and finally narrowed it down to crap Monster Cables and two different lamps. I know it may sound crazy at first.
the p-90's really aren't the best for drop tuning

I made a quick video right after putting the strings on...put it in C# tuning.

I've never actually played any dropped tuning songs, so this is me reading the tab and playing it for the first time. don't hate, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kGiBRzyAew

I'm gonna go look for more interesting dropped tuning songs, because in the 20 minutes it took to upload that video i mastered the song. the entire thing could be played with one finger. Kinda made me disappointed in the deftones.

also there's a lot of people unsure of what's in drop D and what's in drop C - or D tuning dropped down a step, for all you technical pricks. Just looking up "my own summer" i found many tabs with different tunings

at the end of the clip you can hear the hum i was talking about

these pickups gotta go. turning the lights out didn't help, although i've heard that electrical interference can cause that.
Quote by mike_oxbig
the p-90's really aren't the best for drop tuning

I made a quick video right after putting the strings on...put it in C# tuning.

I've never actually played any dropped tuning songs, so this is me reading the tab and playing it for the first time. don't hate, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kGiBRzyAew

I'm gonna go look for more interesting dropped tuning songs, because in the 20 minutes it took to upload that video i mastered the song. the entire thing could be played with one finger. Kinda made me disappointed in the deftones.

also there's a lot of people unsure of what's in drop D and what's in drop C - or D tuning dropped down a step, for all you technical pricks. Just looking up "my own summer" i found many tabs with different tunings

at the end of the clip you can hear the hum i was talking about

these pickups gotta go. turning the lights out didn't help, although i've heard that electrical interference can cause that.

Too bad. Same reason I never bonded with my McCarty with P90's. I never tried replacing them though. I'm sure you will find something, including new pups, to fix the problem. Enjoy!!
i'm just going to can this whole drop tuning idea. It sounded nicer in standard tuning, and I'm not even much of a fan of most songs in this low of tuning. At least not enough of a fan to have a guitar dedicated to the songs I would want to play.
You do realize they're single coils, right? I mean that's the beauty of a P90. They're super fat single coils, but when they're played they have a beefy (almost humbucking) sound.

Don't sweat the hum. You can't hear it when you're playing anyway. Just jam the hell out of them and roll of your volume between songs. Or get a noise gate and be done with it.

But the pickups sound fine to me when being played.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
bit of an update

whoever said the hum could be caused by electrical interference must have been right
turning the lights out didn't help, but i reorganized my basement to take a picture for the "guitar fever" thread i made, and in doing so moved my amp to the other side of the room. next time i plugged in the PRS there was almost no hum at all.

glad i figured that out before i dropped a couple hundred bucks on new pickups, lmao
Quote by mike_oxbig
bit of an update

whoever said the hum could be caused by electrical interference must have been right
turning the lights out didn't help, but i reorganized my basement to take a picture for the "guitar fever" thread i made, and in doing so moved my amp to the other side of the room. next time i plugged in the PRS there was almost no hum at all.

glad i figured that out before i dropped a couple hundred bucks on new pickups, lmao

That was me. It can have a huge impact, even with humbuckers. Glad you got it figured out!!
You still might want to get a noise gate.

It works great on my Mustang, and my humbucking guitars with "coil taps" but for my SSS Strat the hum works its way through the gate except in positions 2 & 4. That's one reason it's almost always in position 4.

BTW, the drop tunings might sound better on another amp and/or with the right EQ tweaking.

Anyway HNGD.
Thanks for the tip...if I find i'm limited to one corner of the room while I play i'll probably invest in one.

Also i restrung the guitar with light strings and put it in standard tuning...the way it was meant to be. Between the proper strings and the lack of a hum it sounds 10x better.