So I have come to the realization, music is not only what I would love to do for the rest of my life, but so is business. I also realized that from just playing it you can not live off of it too well, or at least from what I have heard and somewhat experienced.

So my question:

How do I get into music business? Whether it be marketing, managing, booking, or anything of the sort. I believe creating a booking company may be the easiest way to get into the game seeing as I am already formulating a business plan and am very into the local music scene( i.e. knowing a lot of bands and almost all the venues very well), but I would like some advice/opinions from you all.

Thanks so much !
Last edited by bassplayer4444 at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Dude, it's getting harder and harder to live off of the music business, that's why I stay indie so the 4 hipsters that like me don't stop.
you're a stone fox
Yeah, booking companies tend to not work unless you're able to attract enough people to come and watch bands. Most people like that use a pay-to-play system that involves selling the tickets to the bands and them selling them on to whatever fans they have and turning a measly profit from it if it does happen. Unless you're willing to literally throw away money for a while until you end up getting a regular crowd and what not.

Covers and functions bands are where the money is at musician wise, however. A four-piece can earn atleast £300 doing a pub gig, weddings and parties are much more.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by bassplayer4444
Really, man?

Yeah, really. The guys over at UMB are great.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Reinvent Napster.
I wouldn't invest any money or college credits in music today. It changes every 5 minutes.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Thanks Niiko for having an intelligent and useful response. How large would these crowds have to be? A few hundred? Because a lot of these bands I am close with, draw crowds that large.
Quote by bassplayer4444
Thanks Niiko for having an intelligent and useful response. How large would these crowds have to be? A few hundred? Because a lot of these bands I am close with, draw crowds that large.

My post wasn't helpful?
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
My post wasn't helpful?

Overlooked your's sorry D:! I don't doubt it. Also I am not asking to be a part of some major label or something haha.
Music business? You are profit-minded while making music, instead of thinking of the arts and humanity? Capitalist prick.

/90% joking, but somewhat serious if you are indeed that kind of person.
Quote by Jackal58
Reinvent Napster.
I wouldn't invest any money or college credits in music today. It changes every 5 minutes.

And this. I want music to be apart of my life, but I'd rather just do it myself; I don't think I'm going after a music degree. Then again, I'm sort of in the mindset of the first part of my post. >.>

Also, it's not like I have any experience in the music business, so don't take me too seriously. I'm also biased because there are other things I wish to pursue.
Unghhhhh I knew it would come off as some money-hungry person. It's not about the money, I swear it isn't, but I would really like to just survive haha. Also, I am not even done with high school yet...I would prefer to start this stuff now though and see where it goes. Can a kid not dream :/?
^Relax I was kidding.

Edit: Also, I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'd like to release some of my own stuff. I'm just going to put it out for free though. That's what it's come to. If you don't, people will pirate it. I think this is a good thing. Of course, I will take a financial loss, but as I said earlier, I'm fine with it. That's why it's good to pursue other things as well as music.

Edit2: As far as shows go, you probably won't be very stable if you expect that to be your main source of income.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Dec 12, 2011,
Quote by bassplayer4444
Overlooked your's sorry D:! I don't doubt it. Also I am not asking to be a part of some major label or something haha.

That's good, that's what's failing, you're better off finding unsigned artists on Youtube and starting an online record label.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
That's good, that's what's failing, you're better off finding unsigned artists on Youtube and starting an online record label.

Like currently, sure it would take some time to get running, but I am positive I can get shows started that have large and reliable crowds and some great venues.
Quote by bassplayer4444
Like currently, sure it would take some time to get running, but I am positive I can get shows started that have large and reliable crowds and some great venues.

You can sign me first, I'm currently working on my first song, I'm gonna record guitars, bass, and drums soon, and I'm working on the vocal melody and lyrics currently.

EDIT: Also, I think pirating is what's keeping it the MUSIC business, the people in it for money are slowly getting weeded out.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Dec 12, 2011,
Tom Petty's response to a fan asking if he had any advice for his daughter who wants a career in music...

"Pick a different career."
Quote by bassplayer4444

Well commonly over here in the UK a gig night would run at least two or three bands. For them to turn some kind of profit each band is sold a set number of tickets. Now I'm not really great at maths but the way it works is that generally you're renting a venue for the night, let's say £400.

Now for the promoter to atleast break even, he/she sells the tickets to the bands for a fee (Say £100 per band, so 4 bands playing) so that once all the bands pay for their share of the tickets the promoter doesn't lose any money.

On top of that, the band sells their tickets (At £4 each, so at 25 tickets they break even), and after a certain amount will break even and then start to make a small profit, from which you take a percentage (Believe me, most of them do this) and whatever else you've worked out in the deal (Maybe a take on the bar's income or door sales or whatever). That's about the gist of it with a few varying aspects.

And very few times will a band turn a profit, and if the promoter isn't careful, they'll lose cash too. The pay-to-play system is really just a way to cover your ass in case it doesn't pan out. But I'd say if you're putting on 3 or 4 bands a night, at-least 50-ish people per band should be brought in so that everyone's happy. The bands can play to a sizable crowd and you make, or at least not lose, cash.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Ever think of getting into radio? I'm the night DJ on the biggest rock station in my area and it's a fantastic job for someone looking to work in the music industry. The station I work at organizes concerts normally 1-2 times a month, normally with national touring acts. It's great experience in promotions.

Some other tips for you:
-- Make sure you have solid connections with multiple venues and if possible start working as their exclusive booking manager. Or, play the field and work independently for all of them. Depending on the draw or budget the bar is paying you for the show, you can take a small, and most importantly fair (to the bands that is) cut.
Also, can you bring in established bands into those venues? The radio station I work for really kick-started the whole local scene by starting to bring in national acts to the area on a regular basis (we're a smaller market). Now five venues in the local area are booking national acts and because people are seeing local bands open up these shows, everybody is reaping the benefits.

--As far as managing goes, how well are your connections outside of your local area? Also, how ready for the road are those bands you could potentially be managing. If your connections are slim outside of local venues that bands could probably book anyway, then your services aren't really needed, unless you can really deliver promotion for those gigs that they couldn't obtain otherwise. On the other hand, if those bands aren't ready to expand then you don't have a product to manage. Do they have good material that fits into the venues' markets where your booking? Do they have a solid live show? Merch? Transportation?

--What kind of promotion and marketing can you provide? Can you expand web-presence? Can you help to get radio airplay or commercial advertisements running for gigs?

--The most important thing you can do is to keep making connections.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Get into recording and production. Learn about electronics and circuitry to repair amps, pedals and instrument electronics. You don't have to travel much.