Good day,

I am looking into getting one of these becuse I am on a budget and I cant really afford the space to keep an amp around so getting something like this seems like a good solution. I move around a lot and I could easily take this on a plane.

I would just like to know what your experiences with it have been like. Would you reccomend it? What sort of sound quality can you get? I understand that with the program it comes with has a boat load of effects and amps ect. But are they any good? I understand that they will never be as good as the real ones but are they decently close?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
This thing is great. I use it mostly for recording, but you can use it as a practice amp. Get a decent set of headphones and you're in there. As for the Podfarm, it's pretty good if you spend the time working on the tones. Line 6 has a website that people upload custom tones that you could also try out. It's what producer Joey Sturgis (The Devil Wears Prada, Asking Alexandria, Of Mice & Men, etc.) uses to record bands. But you can use any amp sim. I sometimes use the Peavey amp sim.

And if you setup the UX1 as your sound device in a DAW, you could import a song and practice to it. It is well worth the money especially if you want to do some home recording. They also boast that the UX line has very low latency and this is true. There's a lot of cool things that you can do with it, I've had mine for almost 6 months and still learning new things. Like the other night I was doing some recording with a friend. We ran the UX1 into my laptop and used the output of the UX1 into his mixer interface going into his Mac. So we could both record what was going on. It's not something someone would do a lot, but still cool nonetheless.

If you wanna get an idea of the tones check out any of the bands Sturgis has recorded. They're all metalcore or what not, but it still gives you an idea. And you can check out what we recorded the other night. It's just a minute or so long acoustic piece just getting everything setup, but I think the tone is good for the money we have put into it. It's the first one called Untitled by Lester Ford.

http://www.reverbnation.com/whendsasterstrikes

The other songs are ones I done a year or so ago through a Line 6 X3 Live. But you should definitely buy the UX1.
Right on, I have been browsing the web a little bit about some of the things you are talking about and this looks like a good choice. I talked to a friend with one as well and he says his band uses it for recording.

It mentions that you can use it with other instruments, if I wanted to record drums from an electronic drum kit with a brain and such could this do it?
The UX1 is just an interface. You connect it to your PC via a standard USB cable. It has an interface then for headphones, 3pin standard mic cable, 1/4" instrument cable etc. Think of it as an external sound card for guitarists. But yes, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it to record other stuff. If you want to record more than 1 thing at the same time you will want something different, like a UX-2 or maybe something completely different.

The beauty of the UX1/2 stuff is the fact that it ships with Pod Farm. That is the software you load on your PC. His a ton of amp/effects SIMs that you can literally drag and drop to get endless combinations of stuff. You can also buy Pod Farm seperately. From what I've heard from others, there are also add-on packs you can buy that are even better than the original stuff.

So, you can use the UX1 as just an interface for you microphone and plug your guitar into your amp - or (like what you are asking) you can also use it as a standalone PC based amp and plug your guitar and your headphones into it and use the SIMs.

Here is a quick clip I did of the JCM800 model (I think it was) using this direct model.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play753839

You'll need something different (like Audacity or Reaper) to record.

Edit: yeah - I see Ronhoward kind of covered it well.

Also MatrixClaw has a lot of experience with this and other interfaces as well. If you keep this more to an 'amp or gear' question it will be fine here. If it were to be more of a recording question, which it is isn't really, then it may be moved to the Recording Forum.
Ok. The big question now is do I need to pay for that software to record...
You brought up Record so your thread got moved. Pod Farm is not recording software. It is emulation software.

The fine folks in this Forum can help you further but I suggest reading some of the stickies of this Recordings Forum - they will really help you out. I don't spend any time in here unfortunately so if you want to ask me any more questions PM me.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 14, 2011,
Right on, thanks a lot for the help! I will take a look at the stickies, the recording is really just a bonus.
Reaper is great (and cheap) for recording. But it comes with Ableton for free. I've never really used it, but I know some others in the forum have. I'm not sure about how the e-kit would work, but you could use it in conjunction with Addictive Drums or EZDrummer (plugins) in your DAW. I use Addictive Drums, but I just write out the parts through the piano roll.
Podfarm is pretty good, it takes quite a bit of tweaky if your looking to get a decent distortion sound, you need to know how to eq (I learned how with the program). It gets the job done though, if you get a solid tone with it, most non recording engineers wont be able to tell the difference in a full mix whether its a real amp or podfarm. Also as far as the joey sturgis tones, he used a Line 6 addon called Metal Shop that comes with more amps, you can buy it at line6.com for about 40$.

When you do start recording songs, remember to double track your rythem guitar, it makes a world of a difference. Also, you have to buy podfarm, (it should however come free with the UX1 if buying new, double check though). Mine came with a program called RiffWorks aswell, its a cool progam, so damn easy to write songs on (again research to see what comes with your UX1). Id say go for it, but be sure to spend the time tweaking with podfarm. Id also say think about gettiing the UX2 if you plan on recording vocals in the future.
You can record vocals via the UX1. It has an instrument and XLR input. It comes with Pod Farm Standard for free. You can upgrade to Pod Farm Platinum (which includes Metal Shop among others) but I think it's about $199. The Sturgis tone is pretty much a tube screamer into the Cali Treadplate & 412 cab. But you're right it comes down to the eq more than anything else. And mastering is extremely important. You can take decent tones from PF and put them over the top if you can eq and master properly.

But for the money and what your needs sound like, this will do just fine. I know a lot of people are down on Line 6 products (with good reason), but this is one of their better ones. Plus you can use other amp sims, so you're not just limited to the Line 6 tones.
Quote by ronhoward
You can record vocals via the UX1. It has an instrument and XLR input. It comes with Pod Farm Standard for free. You can upgrade to Pod Farm Platinum (which includes Metal Shop among others) but I think it's about $199. The Sturgis tone is pretty much a tube screamer into the Cali Treadplate & 412 cab. But you're right it comes down to the eq more than anything else. And mastering is extremely important. You can take decent tones from PF and put them over the top if you can eq and master properly.

But for the money and what your needs sound like, this will do just fine. I know a lot of people are down on Line 6 products (with good reason), but this is one of their better ones. Plus you can use other amp sims, so you're not just limited to the Line 6 tones.

Bit of a mix up on my part. I have a pod studio GX, which doesn't have a xlr. my bad.
I have a UX1. It is what it is really, a £100 interface, but for the money it works really well, comes with great software and has worked for me reliably for a good while now, it's taken a beating too, as does most of my gear!
Don't expect tonnes of pre-amp gain and it obviously has the disadvantage of not having phantom power, but again, it's a budget interface.

I'm looking to upgrade now, but i've been recording for three years and this has powered me through. I would recommend to anyone looking to start recording on a budget!
Right on sounds good, Im hearing a lot of good things. I am really new to recording and I have only been playing for a couple years (also the first time I have been on this site). I will take a look into recording programs. Thanks a lot for all the help!
I see you can record vocals with it as well. But can you record vocals and guitar at the same time?
Not having phantom power is probably my biggest dislike with the UX1, but it's not a high dollar interface.

You can through the Pod Farm dual tone feature. You'll have to setup your recording software to have the sends go to two tracks. So 1-2 would go to the first track and 3-4 would go to the second. And in Pod Farm you'd set your sends as record tone a and the other record tone b. All of that may not be exactly how it's setup, but I don't have my equipment in front of me at the moment.

DTCousins - Reaper is definitely worth checking out. You can try out the full version for a month. After that you can purchase a license for $60. I've tried a few different DAW's and I really like this the best. Plus it is a lot cheaper than other programs you'll find.

I'd suggest looking through the forums here for some help with recording. There's a lot of useful information and probably an answer to most questions you'll have. You can message me with any questions too and I'll try to help the best that I can.