I'm kind of glancing over 7 string guitars, thinking about moving on up. But the ones I'm seriously interested in all have 25.5" scale lengths. I'd also be tuning down to Drop G, if I got one.

So, to you guys with regular scale 7 strings who downtune, what strings do you use?

All the sets I'm seeing are unacceptably low tension. I even se a set that had a 54 for the 7th string. I use a 54 for my lowest string right now, and I only play in Drop C. I would need my 6th string to be at the very least a 52, but most of the 6th strings I see in these sets are in the 40's.

So... what do?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If it helps you any, you MIGHT be able to pull off G with 54's (or 56's). I used to use 54's in Drop C (but then I took an arrow to the knee), but I've since started using 49's. Honestly it isn't that bad . Maybe that's comparable?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Nico the Great
If it helps you any, you MIGHT be able to pull off G with 54's (or 56's). I used to use 54's in Drop C (but then I took an arrow to the knee), but I've since started using 49's. Honestly it isn't that bad . Maybe that's comparable?

Thats unfortunate... Heres a link to a support group for you. http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20111209

Also I currently play drop c on my 6 string with 9 - 48's. and it works but the strings are just too loose. But I think at least 56's should work on a 7 but you should probably go up at least a little bit.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 12, 2011,
I have a 56 on my 7th string in Bb (half step down from standard) - it's quite loose, but that's my preference. That and it's an elixir which is also my preference. I also had a 60 from D'Addario on there at one point and that was still fairly loose.

So for a G I would recommend something close to 70 if you want a tight string.

(Note that my 7 string is a 25.5" scale)
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
A regular 7 string set has a .056 for the low B. Ernie Ball Power Slinkies are 11-58, but even that would be a little loose in Drop G. You can get custom sets from Just Strings (http://www.juststrings.com/), a lot of 7 string players use them because they use heavy gauges (65-70 for the low B) and you can specify what gauges you want for each string.
I just build my sets at local stores. I buy a normal 6 set, and then a separate 7th string. Actually, mine is in G right now, with a 62 on the 7th string. But I also have a 26.5" scale length. If you like it tight, a 64 will hold you well, other wise a 60-62 will be a little looser, but not too flubby.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I'd suggest getting strings from nakedstrings.com

I got 5 sets from them for $20 and you get to choose a bunch of different gauges. I got a .60-.115 which for my taste is just a bit too floppy for drop Ab, but I like really heavy strings.
I never buy sets for anything. I always choose individual gauges. A bit more expensive, but I'd rather get exactly what I want.

On my 25.5" scale six-string, I've done down to Ab with a .066. I think it was a bit too tight for my tastes, but it worked well. I'm not too fond of such thick gauges on a shorter neck.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Where do you guys buy your single strings? Do you all use nakedstrings?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use stringsandbeyond
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Darkdevil725
Also I currently play drop c on my 6 string with 9 - 48's. and it works but the strings are just too loose.

What the fuck. I use 11-49's in drop C on a 25" scale and they don't feel loose at all. The higher strings actually feel a bit too tight for me.
I have no sig
Last edited by Mr Winters at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Where do you guys buy your single strings? Do you all use nakedstrings?

I use StringsByMail, myself. Even with postage to Australia, it's faaar cheaper and faster than trying to buy single strings locally.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I have a 25.5" 7 that I play in drop G, and I buy .64s from juststrings.com and buy the rest in sets. Right now I have an 11-48 set for the top 6 but I might change that. It works fine for drop G, but I also like to **** around with open tunings, so I'm thinking about getting the Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom set.
Cool, you guys are awesome.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Mr Winters
What the fuck. I use 11-49's in drop C on a 25" scale and they don't feel loose at all. The higher strings actually feel a bit too tight for me.

I use a 24.75" scale.
I use a 13-56 set on my 25.5" for C standard, sometimes down to drop Bb, works fine, but down a whole other step, no way, way too flabby, get yourself a .62 at LEAST, for G, even that is smaller, look for like, .65/.70 if you want a tighter string.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Dec 13, 2011,