I know this track has plenty of flaws, but it's still a big step up from my past attempts at recording and mixing (I'm still a bit amateur with it, so bare that in mind.)

I recommend this be heard on headphones (it probably sounds best).

Eventually there will be lyrics for it but I won't be the one singing it. If somebody comes along who is good at singing/screaming, then we'll see.

http://youtu.be/oa5cJJan4a4

C4C
I thought It was good. Liked it. Keep it up. I like what you did with the clean guitar especially. Solid track. The drums could use some work though, they don't sound quite natural yet.
This sounds pretty solid to me. Quality is seriously impressive. Wouldn't really consider myself a metalhead but I could definitely see myself downloading this. But just so I don't leave without giving any sort of constructive criticism I will say that I think the kick drum was just the slightest bit too loud in the mix, but just baaaaaaarely. And thats just me being super critical, I mean maybe thats what you're going for (like I said I'm no metalhead) but its like such a minor thing. Overall super well put together though 5/5.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Thanks!

I had major trouble with the solo section. It's still not sounding the way I would like. The trouble was getting the lead guitar to cut through the clean guitars correctly. It just wouldn't happen, so I ended up making the lead stronger and I believe that it clips during the solo because of it. I also had trouble just getting the tone of the lead guitar down the right way at all. I feel it doesn't blend in the way I was trying to get it. It kind of stands too far apart to me, but it is probably because of a mistake I made in the first stages of setting up the guitars tone near the beginning of the process.

And now that you mention it, yes I think the snare might be a little too weak and the kick a little too strong, but I was intentionally going for that heavy but very tight (almost Fear Factory-like) sound out of it for the sake of fast intro/outro that is there.

Anyway, a lesson learned there for my next project that may have these kinds of elements in it.
Wow, when you said you were a bit of an amateur at recording and mixing I expected a really awful mix, but this is actually pretty decent. The only comment I will make as to the mix is that the kick is waaay too loud and the hats a tiny bit too quiet. Snare could maybe come down a little bit too, maybe bring that intro guitar up a bit as well.

As to the song itself, I actually really enjoyed it. Would I be right in saying I detect a lot of melodeath influences? It sounds very dark tranquillity-esque in some points. Loved the little lead up to the solo, the only thing I would say is maybe add a lead line or something to the outro, cause it gets a tiny bit repetitive. That or make the drums do some more interesting stuff, cymbal or tom fills, something like that.

Otherwise good job man, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Wow, when you said you were a bit of an amateur at recording and mixing I expected a really awful mix, but this is actually pretty decent. The only comment I will make as to the mix is that the kick is waaay too loud and the hats a tiny bit too quiet. Snare could maybe come down a little bit too, maybe bring that intro guitar up a bit as well.

As to the song itself, I actually really enjoyed it. Would I be right in saying I detect a lot of melodeath influences? It sounds very dark tranquillity-esque in some points. Loved the little lead up to the solo, the only thing I would say is maybe add a lead line or something to the outro, cause it gets a tiny bit repetitive. That or make the drums do some more interesting stuff, cymbal or tom fills, something like that.

Otherwise good job man, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks a alot!

I think somethiing could be up with how I manipulated the dynamics of the drums since some people say they sound too quiet and other say they sound too loud. I can agree that the kick probably does come out a little much though. And I agree fully about the outro and its cool that the thoughts I was having about the outro after I got it all wrapped up wasn't just me. That's very do-able.

As for influences, it started out as being influenced by Arch Enemy (if you listen to the song Nemesis, the intro/outro it's kind of derived from that), and from there I'm not sure where I pulled most of the rest of it from. I'm a big Megadeth and Metallica head and when I listen back through the solo, I kind of see some of those influences coming through there, Megadeth during the soft section, and Metallica during the hard.

Anyway, thanks again! And ya, this song is only my 4th actual recording/mixing attempt. I'm confident that my next projects may get even better.

These second opinions are great since I'm not working with any speaker monitors at the moment, just a pair of mixing-headphones, so it will be good to know how it sounds on everyone's systems.
Yeah, second time I heard the intro I did think Arch Enemy

If it's any help I listened through headphones and it sounded pretty tight apart from the issues I outlined previously.

Only your 4th mixing attempt? Wow, I've been mixing for 3 years and I've only just reached a standard I'm anywhere near happy with
🙈 🙉 🙊
marrs11,
Thank you for the reviews! Now listening to your tune. Distorted guitar tone is a bit ear-piercing for me (but I'm sensitive to that). Otherwise, the song has good audio quality. Intro has really fast playing! Timing on the playing is all good. Nice clean guitar sound (nice contrast to heavy guitar parts). Yes, this could use some vocals. The drums are good. Good songwriting!
Thanks for your comment in https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28729339#post28729339

I'd say the composition is quite nice in your piece! The solo is nice.
The distorted tone is not that much to my liking, though. To thin and bright. The clean tone is better. Things sound tight, but a bit "home studio" still. Midi drums are very hard to mix, but try to get them a bit more organic. Personal preference, maybe.
Keep up the work, you're getting there
Thank you all for the feedback! Since I've posted this, I've learned some great new tricks for better humanization of drums, deepening of my bass sound, and some new methods for getting a nicer metal guitar tone. Although my next project will likely be acoustic or just more mellow in nature, I'm really looking forward to the next metal project that I tackle afterward.
I love the riff to start the song, you successfully melted my face! The "clean" part after it is great, too, however, your clean guitar would GREATLY benefit from a little bit of delay, and the ever so slightest touch of bass. Drums sound great, too, did you record them yourself or use a program to make them?

I also think that you should get to recording vocals, because that's the only thing taking away from my listening experience. Of course, as you'd expect, the song drags on a little bit without vocals. Keep up the good work, I certainly look forward to more from you. Guitar solo was good, I might add... needs to be a bit louder in the mix though.

Also, drums are a little simple at parts (I.E. - 3:17) but that isn't a bad thing. The riff would get more justice with a few double kicks every 2nd and 8th beat.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504196
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
Vocals will eventually be a definite application in the future. You can probably tell that the layout of the song was kind of built around having vocals eventually put to it.

Thanks for the crit!
IMO the Dirty Guitars need a bit more mids to make them a tad fuller, but thats just how i like my dirty guitars so that might be more of a biased opinion. To Me this has a Nightwish feel to it...for vocals i'd recommend finding a female!!! Tarja kicked from Nightwish so ask her:P

Nice Job!

C4C ?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504704