Poll: How many dimensions exist?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many dimensions exist?
Four
18 16%
Ten
16 15%
Some other number (specify in post)
15 14%
Dimension X, bitch
13 12%
48 44%
Voters: 110.
Page 1 of 2
Simple, pit. We have a jillion and one theories about how many dimensions exist, some models coming from the same source but requiring different numbers of dimensions for Planck unification, etc. blah blah blah. Which side do you back (how many dimensions do you think exist), and why?

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
41. Maybe even 42.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I said "some other number", but I don't feel like specifying it in my post.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I heard 10 from somewhere but don't know where
String theory maybe?
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by catursly
For some reason i have the last few lines of bohemian rhapsody stuck in my head right now.

Nothing really matters. Anyone can see.
Nothing really matters...
Nothing really matters... to... meeeee.

Any. way. the. wind. blows. *quiet whoosh*

Quote by lushacrous
I said "some other number", but I don't feel like specifying it in my post.

The power of Tsoukalos compels you.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Dec 13, 2011,
At the moment, I know of four. Space dimensions and time. A particle's position can be defined by these four.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
I'm into the multiverse theory, which, if I am correct, asserts that there is a different dimension for every possible outcome of every event/decision in history.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
You guys Jedis? Pontificationing the deep, unicorn dust qualities of the universe? Wanna gaze at the stars and cry in the arms of the sultry dude next to you?

There are 3 dimensions:
Be evil. Acquire wealth. Tap ass.
Be bad. Get bitches.
Quote by D. Vader
You guys Jedis? Pontificationing the deep, unicorn dust qualities of the universe? Wanna gaze at the stars and cry in the arms of the sultry dude next to you?

There are 3 dimensions:

Vader, you are celibate. Don't try to act like a pimp. We know the truth - you blew it with Padme.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Depends what your definition of a dimension is..

if you mean the 3 observable dimensions plus the 1 for time, then theres 10
if youre going into multiverse theory, an infinate number (not really dimensions though i guess)
if you talk about the several theories in quantum physics, 7
if you listen to ancient spiritual philosophy, an infinate number, with 7 diffenerent states for each dimension (as if were collumbs, there would be in infinate number of them to the left and right, with up to 7 rows going up and down)
if you talk about vibration theory etc (the shit about the nodes) its an infinate number, split up into 7 segments with a void inbetween each of the 7 segments.
yeah.

{ederp:} screw that, this;

Quote by D. Vader

There are 3 dimensions:
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Dec 13, 2011,
Well, John Myung has a portal to the 17th Dimension in his house...
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
I've heard 4, 10, and (I can't remember the exact, but either) 23, 24, or 26.

I vote 4.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
I believe Homer Simpson answered this in the "Tree House of Horror VI" episode.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
My definition of a dimension is as a scale for representing information. One dimension represents a point, two represent a curve, three, a sphere, and four, (at least what we see) a realtime rendering of information propagating and changing.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by D. Vader

There are 3 dimensions:

its either 10, 1 or ∞/0. (with 7 different states of observing each dimension)

when you think about it though, the true Source of the universe in its simplest form only exists within itself and at the exclusion of anything else, so itd be logical to say only 1 dimension really exists, and everything else formed is just our perception of the One.

im tired. what do we have in the fridge.
^@D.Vader I'm ok with that.

On a more serious note I don't really know there are a lot of theories right now and one of the main concerns seem to be the how to "stick together" quantum mechanics and general relativity; I haven't read much about it but it is something I'd like to tackle someday.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
More than three
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by hames jetfield
At the moment, I know of four. Space dimensions and time. A particle's position can be defined by these four.

These are the 4 that the pitiful human brain can comprehend on some level. We have a good grasp of the first 3, or the "spacial dimensions," but we lack the ability to properly understand the 4th as a whole, so we see it in shards, or "moments." When you understand that there is no difference between the first 3 and the 4th, then you can see that there are at least 10.

This will help.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Even if Kundalini Yoga can manifest the serpent fire to show you the light, you will not be able to describe it. What good is not being able to describe in this planet?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
My definition of a dimension is as a scale for representing information. One dimension represents a point, two represent a curve, three, a sphere, and four, (at least what we see) a realtime rendering of information propagating and changing.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by doomded
These are the 4 that the pitiful human brain can comprehend on some level. We have a good grasp of the first 3, or the "spacial dimensions," but we lack the ability to properly understand the 4th as a whole, so we see it in shards, or "moments." When you understand that there is no difference between the first 3 and the 4th, then you can see that there are at least 10.

This will help.

I meant 4 I can comprehend. Know there are more.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by darkstar2466
Even if Kundalini Yoga can manifest the serpent fire to show you the light, you will not be able to describe it. What good is not being able to describe in this planet?

fuck descriptions, describing something is just a method in which one person can communicate something to someone else. Raising your vibration and 'unleashing' the kundalini isnt something to be talked about or described, its something to be done and experienced. I could sit here and describe the Rot to you, but unless youve actually gone though it (which i presume you have, though most people dont know it) you wont know what im talking about. Do it for yourselves, stop expecting anything from the External.

Dimensions dont even exist really i suppose, its just another method for our mind to understand something untangable. Kether is all that there is, the source of all that can be, and the direction towards which everything ultimately returns.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
fuck descriptions, describing something is just a method in which one person can communicate something to someone else. Raising your vibration and 'unleashing' the kundalini isnt something to be talked about or described, its something to be done and experienced. I could sit here and describe the Rot to you, but unless youve actually gone though it (which i presume you have, though most people dont know it) you wont know what im talking about. Do it for yourselves, stop expecting anything from the External.

Dimensions dont even exist really i suppose, its just another method for our mind to understand something untangable. Kether is all that there is, the source of all that can be, and the direction towards which everything ultimately returns.

Can it be, that all can be revealed within the mind?

We're pretty complex thought creatures, and our general perception of four dimensional space time is huge because our scales are large - a human is a big, big construct compared to one water molecule. But at the nano scale of memory storage in our brain, strange permutations are being built and tossed, and built and tossed. Then if we can tap into all of these permutations and process them like a permutation tree, then we can see the nature of our sentience. That still doesn't tell us anything about the universe and beyond.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Dimension of what?

<R³,+,*,R> has 3 dimensions, <R²,+,*,R> has 2 dimensions, etc...

If you are asking how many dimensions has the simplest model that represents reality, then shouldn't you be asking what that model is first?

If we are going by the simple "space-model" and "time-model" as distinct models/structures, then the observable dimensions are 3 and 1 respectively. However, those could be higher and we can't know for sure.

Shit I guess this sounds pseudo-intelligent as shit, but really I just want to formalize a situation that is talked way too informally.
Carl Sagan many.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I think there's an infinite amount, but I don't think it's possible to know for sure how many dimensions there are. I believe there are some things the human brain can't comprehend. I don't know why we dismiss that idea so often. The brain is only so powerful and built in a way to be useful for us. Who know's what's out there?
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Last edited by StreetLight3989 at Dec 13, 2011,
Yeah gonzaw, I know it's mathematically vague to talk about dimensions without context, but I guess the question is to address exactly that: how many dimensions does the existence construct consist of? Time and space and everything else is all the same to me. One axis represents one scale of information magnitude. Period.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by catursly
For some reason i have the last few lines of bohemian rhapsody stuck in my head right now.

That is all very well but what does the direction of the wind have to do with this
Firstly, you all should stop differentiating between space dimensions and time dimensions. A dimension is a dimension.

The current most popular string theory specifies 11 dimensions if I remember correctly. I think 6 of those are so entangled so as to be practically nonexistant.

Then there are the three Euclidian dimensions we know, length, width, and depth. Then there is the spacetime dimension. And the 5th dimension, though tangled, is not as tangled as the other 6. I think this 5th dimension has something to do with gravity, but I don't particularly remember well.

I personally am not entirely sold on string theories yet, because, as far as I have seen and read, there is just a lot of mathematical proofs, and not very many physical proofs. Of course, this could be expected, since it does call for dimensions that are effectively unobservable. But this still makes me iffy on the practicality and usefulness of string theories.

I like the Quantum Mechanical model much better. If I had the money to do so, I'd love to go to school and eventually start trying to work to discover a quantum theory of gravity. But this has nothing to do with dimensions really. I digress.
I picked infinity because it looks like a sideways eight and eight is my favorite number. I also like saying "infinitely many".
Page 1 of 2