Page 1 of 2
For those of you that don't know, this is what I do. Art that is also a working amp.
I take classic amp circuits and build them into "cookie tins". I call this povtech art. Art that looks like something an ingenous poor person would make out of the cast-offs of society.

Well, it is ready at long last. All finished and working like a dream.
Once again it is the popular 18W Marshall in an old Jack Daniels tin.
This is a sneak preview for you UG guys, I haven't even added it to my site yet.

This time there was no gold on the tin so I went for a black and chrome look instead of the black and gold.
I think that makes it look less cyber-punk. I think I'm going to call this one Povtech Nouveau.

And the back:

Here's a nice arty shot from the side:

The circuit is the normal channel of a 1974X Marshall from the mid sixties, so no tremelo. The only diversion from the original is a slightly beefed up power supply.

The transformers are Classic Tones from Chicago again. I'm quite taken with them in the 18W'ers.
Filter caps are JJ. Mainly because they were black.
Signal caps are all sprague Orange Drop or Atom with the exception of the power amp cathode cap. That one is an unused side of one of the JJ filter caps.
CTS pots.
The two front valve sockets are gold plated ceramics. The back three are NOS Russian military Micalex sockets I scored off Min.
Currently wired up for 230/240V but can be converted to 110/120 with a quick bit of soldering. ie the tap is there.

So of course you want to see the guts don't you?

As you can see I've reinforced it all with 2mm aluminium. The reinforcing at the power plug is actually 6mm.

How does it sound? You know what an 18W Marshall sounds like don't you? I was faithful to the original circuit. Once you get above 1 o'clock this thing really gets that Plexi crunch going. On 10 it just roars.
The touch sensitivity on this is second to none. Pick gently and it cleans up with those lovely Plexi-like cleans. Pick harder and it starts to growl. When you hear about talkback, this is what they mean. It has a conversation with you and you never quite know what it's going to say.
I've been running it through my 1x12 open backed cab with the Aussie boutique greenback clone. Sounds divine. It makes everything in the house rattle. I love it. Somebody will be happy with this I'm thinking. Once again, I'll be sad to see it go.

Enjoy.

I forgot to say. All valves are JJ.
2 x ECC83S
2 x EL84
1 x EZ81
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 13, 2011,
That's pretty kick-ass, if I do say so myself. Got to play one of those Marshalls a couple of years back and I know how good it sounds (even in the hands of a crappy player like myself), and then that case looks great.
I've never heard one of them actually, someone needs to do a demo...

Looks great Cath
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Looks stunning once again! I was wondering how the tin was going to hold up the weight of the transformers and stuff, but it looks like you did a good job on that reinforcement work.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Thanks, guys.

I sign my initials on the bottom with an engraver pen, Ippon.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard these things really are beautiful. I'd love to buy one from you if I ever had the money/we were ever in the same continent. haha. The 18 watt marshall sound isn't something I'd go for usually, but for the few times that I would it would be awesome to have one of these little guys. I'd totally start a cover band. Playing in a cover band with a Jack Daniels amp = instant tips
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Postage to the States is $160.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Cathbard these things really are beautiful. I'd love to buy one from you if I ever had the money/we were ever in the same continent. haha. The 18 watt marshall sound isn't something I'd go for usually, but for the few times that I would it would be awesome to have one of these little guys. I'd totally start a cover band. Playing in a cover band with a Jack Daniels amp = instant tips

You should so do it!

Nice. I'd say more, but I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard.
I am a fake mountain.
My cat is mad because he was on my lap when I saw this. The immediacy of my erection startled him.

very nice Cath. I really like the 18 watt circuit, a buddy of mine has one. Whenever I go there to jam out, I plug into it and him into his very complex... thing
Great job again man. I love these JD tin amps. They ooze awesome. If I had money I'd buy that thing right nao.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Ok Cath... You're comin' close to gettin me in trouble with the wife here...

Seriously... Awesome work, Beautiful Job...

(if I wasn't looking at being laid off in a few months... )
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
+311
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
wow nice job Cath!

when do we get to hear is play some gary moore riffs?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Looking great as always Cath
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I need some recording gear. It does pull off a very convincing Gary Moore.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Is it sold yet?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
yeah dude, I'd love to hear some clips. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by tubetime86
Is it sold yet?

Not yet. I guess I can't expect them all to sell in 10 minutes like the last one.

Well, it's time for me to hit the sack. Whoever gets in first by either a pm here or via the contact button on my site will get it. I'll be checking times but for now I must get some sleep.

Goodnight.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 13, 2011,
I'm sure this one will go quick. I'd be buying it if the timing were a little better. Hopefully I'll get my hands on one eventually.

Goodnight!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
what are you going to build in the tin i sent you cath?

some sort of fender or vox?

good luck with the sale, i'm sure it will get claimed rather fast with the holidays rapidly approaching.

Beautiful! Looks totally bad ass ! Any other amp model you clone?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
just amazing what's possible in
the right hands.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks guys.

Still haven't decided, greg. Looks like I won't be able to do an AC15 like I planned, not enough room. I'm leaning heavily towards a 5E3 Fender Deluxe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Absolutely beautiful Cath. Positively beautiful.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Cathbard
Still haven't decided, greg. Looks like I won't be able to do an AC15 like I planned, not enough room. I'm leaning heavily towards a 5E3 Fender Deluxe.

do that. yes. do that.
Quote by gregs1020
do that. yes. do that.

Yeah that's probably for the best.

Just rebiased the amp and now it takes until about 2 o'clock to start getting crunchy instead of 1 o'clock. Not a lot of difference but it should make the tubes last a bit longer.
Still no bites. Oh well, I can't expect them all to sell in 10 minutes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Thanks guys.

Keep me up to date on this. I will very likely be a potential buyer for this build. What's the tin again?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
311: No

Quote by tubetime86
Keep me up to date on this. I will very likely be a potential buyer for this build. What's the tin again?

It's an actual cookie tin. Black with gold trim and a sort of D shape. Will be particularly tricky to reinforce but I think it will look pretty good and quite cyber-punkish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not into the cyber punk idea... But I love the 5E3 idea. My money won't be coming available until May, so I guess you'll have built a couple by then. Either way, if you start doing 5E3s then I will definitely be buying one.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Cyber punk is cool. It's hard not to look cyber punk with exposed valves. With all the gold trim I'll be using a lot of gold and brass on it. Hang on, I'll take a picture of the tin.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification