I'm looking at doing a few gigs next year and am now in the position of requiring a non-practice amp. I would rather a head/cab to a combo as it gives me a little more flexibility, particularly if I later decide to upgrade again. I was looking at a 4x10" cabinet, but after actually going into a store and looking at them, I'm not sure how transportable they will be, due to sheer size. I then looked at a 2x10" and thought that looked much easier to move. But will a 2x10" be as loud as a 4x10"? Also, does anyone have a suggestion for how many watts I should be looking at for a head? I'll be playing mostly in a small church, with 1 or 2 outdoor gigs. Mostly with a band of about 30 people, or about 50 at the outdoor ones.
Go for the 2x10.

A 4x10 will be a bit ballsier and fuller, but not to the extent that it's worth it if you haven't got good transport. The volume difference is minimal at best.
I vote the 2x10 as well. You can always get another and have a "4x10", but a 2x10 is a dream to transport for now.
Get an amp around 200 - 300W.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Honestly, a 2x10 is a superior cab generally to a 4x10. The speaker alignment in a 4x10 makes little practical sense at all. A 2x10 cab aligned in such a way that one speaker is above the other rather than side by side will be by far enough for one cab. Technology has improved a lot, you no longer need umpteen speakers to successfully reproduce the sound of your instrument at an adequate level... old habits simply prove hard to break, and 4x10/8x10 cabinets are still manufactured (can't blame them if people will still buy it though).

I've heard a 1x12 that knocked seven shades of shit out of every 4x10 I've ever heard/played through. Number of speakers or whatever doesn't just equal volume, and most people who would argue otherwise are simply regurgitating what the manufacturers have told them in order to sell them their products which are based on dated designs. There are so many other factors that influence how a cabinet sounds or how loud it is.
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by kyle62
Go for the 2x10.

A 4x10 will be a bit ballsier and fuller, but not to the extent that it's worth it if you haven't got good transport. The volume difference is minimal at best.

This. Believe me a 2x10 is enough to lug around, but doable. I've played with a drummer and 3 guitarists in gigs and managed with alot of head room with a 2x10.
Here's a question: What are the actual cabs you're looking at? The make and model. Also, what's your overall budget? A Behringer 210 is going to be a lot different to an Aguilar 210.
For small gigs and church, the 2x10 will be fine. For bigger gigs, and if you play loud rock, go with a 4x10.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Assuming you have a high powered head (500w+) and do not want to invest in another cabinet in the near-intermediate future, get the 4x10.

If either of those two things are false, get the 2x10 and...eventually...another 2x10
Quote by consecutive e
Here's a question: What are the actual cabs you're looking at? The make and model. Also, what's your overall budget? A Behringer 210 is going to be a lot different to an Aguilar 210.

I'm not really sure, I've been considering an Ampeg SVT-210AV for a 210 or a Ashdown MAG410T for a 410. My budget is probably about AU$700 or so, $800 if I can buy it here rather than online. And that's for a head as well. I am looking at used gear too, but I won't buy that online, maybe this one if it's still there once I have the money.

Quote by FatalGear41
For bigger gigs, and if you play loud rock, go with a 4x10.

I'm playing some metal at school, but most of my gigs are Jazz or Classical. what should I be looking at if my biggest gig will be ~1000 people but most will be about 100 - 200?
Quote by chatterbox272
I'm not really sure, I've been considering an Ampeg SVT-210AV for a 210 or a Ashdown MAG410T for a 410. My budget is probably about AU$700 or so, $800 if I can buy it here rather than online. And that's for a head as well. I am looking at used gear too, but I won't buy that online, maybe this one if it's still there once I have the money.

I'm playing some metal at school, but most of my gigs are Jazz or Classical. what should I be looking at if my biggest gig will be ~1000 people but most will be about 100 - 200?

Markbass 104HF - $600
Genz Benz 610 - $800
Aguliar GS212 - $700 - INSANELY CHEAP.

Oh, whoops, that's including a head? Get one of the new Warwick combos from Crazy Bass Guy

The Ampeg 210-AV is a piece of shit and the MAG410 is pretty "meh".
Last edited by consecutive e at Dec 15, 2011,
IF your going to be playing to a 1000 large audience then youll be DI'ed. Id get a 2x10 and then another 2x10 when you have the cash or feel you need it. Then stack then going vertically, as in 4 speakers in a line going up. It will work really well.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
IF your going to be playing to a 1000 large audience then youll be DI'ed.

Unless it's different next year then I doubt I will be, but it's a "Carols by Candlelight" kind of thing so they're not particularly loud anyway. I used a 1x15 speaker from school for that one and didn't pass half volume .

Quote by consecutive e
Markbass 104HF - $600
Genz Benz 610 - $800
Aguliar GS212 - $700 - INSANELY CHEAP.

Oh, whoops, that's including a head? Get one of the new Warwick combos from Crazy Bass Guy

The Ampeg 210-AV is a piece of shit and the MAG410 is pretty "meh".

Like i said, I'm not buying used online, so those ozbassforum links are no good to me (I'm in Perth). How reliable is crazybassguy.com.au? I've never heard of it before .
It's an off-shoot of Bass People in Sydney. Basically Bass People handle the expensive stuff like your USA Fenders upto your USA MTDs, Ritters, Foderas and Crazy Bass Guy is a front for the cheaper stuff, Squier, Ibanez, KSD, Wariwck Rockbass and etc.