Hi there forum goers!

I'm not entirely sure if the problem is with my technique or my gear, but i have a problem nonetheless.

Basically, i'm trying to get a cleaner, more distinct sound between strings when i'm using distortion. For example, i'm playing Aint talkin bout love with distortion. All is going well in the intro, perfect intonation, pinch harmonics where i want them, palm muting all the way though, brilliant. the problem comes when i come into the verse. In the recording, it sounds to me like the strings are being played 'open', letting them ring whilst using distortion, but the sound that is being created is clear, and you can make out each sound between each string.

When I play it... totally different matter. It just sounds like a mass of distorted crap...I can hear the string clearly for a fraction of a second before it just muddles back into the mix and everything turns muddy.

My kit-out is like this:
Ibanez RG350DX ->
Cry-baby wah ->
Boss DS-1 distortion ->
Line 6 Spider II 30 watt on clean channel.

Like i said, i'm not sure if there is a problem with my technique or my kit setup, so i'll try here first, and if i'm wrong, chuck me in the right place please!

Many thanks all!
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
use less distortion perhaps?
That usually result in cleaner sound.
As helpful as i'm sure that was intended to be... it really wasn't. do you honestly think i haven't tried that already?

I'm trying to get that distortion i have, but make it clearer with less of a 'muddy' sound, without having to turn the tone knob up on the distortion box so it sounds like i'm playing through a tin can. Besides, even if i turn it down, everything still sounds like mud.
Quote by Rocker007

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
alright... change strings, pickups, amp?
Reverb and delay can drown and make your playing muddy, but I don't know.
Kind of hard to know what to say to you when I don't know what it sounds like.
Last edited by JB95 at Dec 13, 2011,
I've got a pretty much brand new set of strings, and i can't afford my rent, so buying stuff is out of the question.

I'm playing the amp totally clean, no reverb, no delay. It is simply just the guitar, through the wah (that's off btw, and sometimes i just dont include it all together).

Basically, i'd imagine it'd be like placing the amp face down in a swimming pool and just playing random frets... that's probably the most extravagantly i can explain it!
Quote by Rocker007

Well maybe that Line 6 isn't helping your sound a lot. Never played it but I only heard bad stuff about Line 6 products. I also am not a fan of Ibanez guitars just because of that. Unless you spend 1500$ on them they sound muddy and weird. But that's my opinion.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
The only things I can think of are:

Bass set too high on the amp, bump up treble (though not too much) and give a bit more mid
Tone or volume knobs are set too low
Pickups have a generally muddy tone (I have this problem on my Schechter, Ibanez is fine and will be even better when I wham DiMarzio's on)
Using the wrong pickup - switch to bridge
Pickups are too low, try to raise them (though not too much)
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by llBlackenedll

Bass set too high on the amp, bump up treble (though not too much) and give a bit more mid
Pickups have a generally muddy tone (I have this problem on my Schechter, Ibanez is fine and will be even better when I wham DiMarzio's on)

Cheers for that mate, i'll have a gand at the settings and fiddle around with them. I thought i might have reset the pre-existing settings once, then turned the echo off and forgot about my tone settings altogether again... You know how line 6s are...

I never really thought about raising the pickups though, i thought that only dealt with the volume of the pickup in question!

Cheers again!
Quote by Rocker007

Quote by Black Rat 1214
Cheers for that mate, i'll have a gand at the settings and fiddle around with them. I thought i might have reset the pre-existing settings once, then turned the echo off and forgot about my tone settings altogether again... You know how line 6s are...

I never really thought about raising the pickups though, i thought that only dealt with the volume of the pickup in question!

Cheers again!

Never have that problem with my Line 6, but all my presets and stuff are backed up onto my laptop anyway.

Yeah it kinda does, but I've also noticed that you get a clearer sound out of it (for example palm muted stuff has a lot more crunch). Don't raise them too high though or it'll effect your sustain.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
The DS1 is a pretty horrible pedal to be honest, it's not great as a stand-alone source of distortion, particularly through a flat digital amp like the Spider.

It works much better through an amp that already got a richer, fuller tone.

Best solution here is to change the amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The DS1 is a pretty horrible pedal to be honest, it's not great as a stand-alone source of distortion, particularly through a flat digital amp like the Spider.

It works much better through an amp that already got a richer, fuller tone.

Best solution here is to change the amp.

Yeah, i've been wanting to get myself a full tube amp for a while now (only a 15-20 watt or something) and have a look at getting an all seeing eye mod for my DS 1, the difference before and after is amazing. Anyone got any experience of this?
Quote by Rocker007

Tubes, Use your volume knob, simple as that, you cant play EVH without a tube amp. He uses 100 watts that are tech ****ed so they burn through a whole set of tubes in a night, boosting the output for a stupid saturated tone you can get without doing that, either way, he relies on tube gain, much different than any pedal gain. Trick, get a normal 100 watt tube head or sorts, a must have for any guitarist, EL34 or 6l6(6550), just roll off your volume, with a tube amp, all the brightness is retained because their so bright as it is. But the way the gain sounds at high volumes and low amounts of gain, you'll understand, just go spend some money.
Originally Posted by llBlackenedll

maybe like he said, raise the pickups a little bit, it has helped me before.
and at least you should try to Mod the DS-1 cuase unmodded it's a horrible pedal, you should look at the DS-1 Keeley it's not expensive since you already have the pedal, and it will soun dramatically better and try to buy a equalizer, ihave the Boss GE-7 it really changes the tone, and the ibanez are really mudy, you have to pay a lot if you want a good ibanez...
pfft re the hate on the DS-1....its ok.... play it through the clean channel though

try turning the distortion off during that section perhaps?

also...Eddie has great feel and touch on the fretboard.... its pretty hard to emulate him 100%
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
ITs definitely your Ibanez with your amp. That is what makes distortion unclear and muddy.
Play a strat through a marshall and I bet the problem would be gone.
EQ EQ EQ
Yeah, those pickups are not good. I replaced mine with an EVH frankenstien, problem solved.
Quote by Expandingmind
ITs definitely your Ibanez with your amp. That is what makes distortion unclear and muddy.
Play a strat through a marshall and I bet the problem would be gone.
EQ EQ EQ

Agreed. Distortion does not sound clear on a solid state amp. Distortion on a tube amp sounds A LOT more natural and transparent. Notes compliment each other, not clash. Obviously tone is in the fingers, but a solid state amp can only sound good with distortion. Especially when playing chords
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
I find scooping the mids out of the eq allows me to get a bit more clarity with high amounts of distortion.

Also might want try the line 6's distortion instead of the ds 1. I don't find analog pedals sound good with a digital amp, except for maybe a wah pedal.
Jump on the twang channel, set all EQ (dist, low, mid, hi) all to twelve o clock. Turn the DS-1 to 0 gain and volume to 70%. All knobs on the guitar to 10 and go from there. If you don't like something turn it back to flat.

Try that.

Sorry I didn't realize this was an old ass thread.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I can't be 100% sure but if you can hear the note straight after playing it and then it fades into a distorted noise it could be that you have other open strings ringing out. Are you choking them with your right hand?

It's easy to become obsessed with gear but a guitarist with solid technique will sound "good" whatever gear they play through. Because of what you said about the rest of the song it sounds like your technique is solid apart from this section.

I haven't seen your playing so as I say I can't be sure that this is the correct advice but might be something for you to look at.
Back again, sorry for the delay and the necro(ish)-bump, haven't seen my guitar for about a month... bad times...

Anyway, flicked through the thread and basically i've found that the two common trends are my pickups and the use of analogue effects with a digital amp... So essentially i'll be looking to get myself replacements of both if i'm looking to get clearer sounds.

I've definately been working on my technique, i've done a couple of videos of myself a la Kent Carlevi to look at my playing from other angles and it LOOKS to be pretty good. I've gone back to basics and turned off pretty much everything other than the amp, and just ran it through the clean channel, everything sounded pretty tight, so i'm happy about that.

It seems to me that the general concensus would be for me to go for tubes with a keeley mod DS-1 with a new set of pickups on my axe and having a serious look at my EQ.

If anyone else has any good technique tips i'd be glad to hear them, i've tried choking down the rest of the strings that i dont want to sound out but i still get that muddled, muddy sort of effect that i had to begin with.

Thanks for all the replies thus far, very much appreciated
Quote by Rocker007