I'm planning on painting the pickguard on a Blacktop Telecaster that I'll be receiving soon. Is there a trick to doing this that will keep the it from flaking or having the rough texture that can sometimes come with painting?
Quote by x_Hezee_x

My favorite bands are: Nickleback, Staind, Green Day, Disturbed and many more. I also like Songs that are being used in the WWE.

So gimme a shout out! im really looking for a Guitar Buddy
ive never heard of painting a pickguard.. but i would say try a really glossy paint, or paint it, then a glossy coating. that all i got..
The main reason paint will flake/ chip off of plastic is that the surface is too smooth for the paint to stick onto.
You should rough sand the pickguard, something like 100 grit should be good.

To get a good finish from (I assume spray can) The easiest way (aside from having a dust free spraybooth) is to build up a thick layer of paint, and use wet n' dry sandpaper at high grit to level out the surface.

Most spraypaint will dissolve the layer under it which means you must ensure you don't put too many coats on in too short of a time, this and putting coats on too thick are the two biggest mistakes you can make when applying spraypaint.

You will figure out the details for yourself, it'll vary on paint drying times and what paint, but what I have done (spray painting a pedal yesterday) is about 3 light coats per day, around an hour apart, then let dry out overnight. Today I will go over it with 1200 grit wet sand (very gently), Then hit it with another 3 coats @ 1hr apart.
Do you repeat this process for about a certain number of days?
And is there a specific kind of spray paint that would be best to use, or can I just go to the local Home Depot or whatever people do these days?
Quote by x_Hezee_x

My favorite bands are: Nickleback, Staind, Green Day, Disturbed and many more. I also like Songs that are being used in the WWE.

So gimme a shout out! im really looking for a Guitar Buddy
6 coats is good for a pedal, Then I'll put decals on, then another 4 coats of satin laquer. I use the cheapest paint available usually, and have great results. For a pickguard I would probably do around 10 coats.
Just to re iterate, the way I do it isn't the only way or even the best way. You may be able to put 10 coats on in one day.

I think the most important advice is:
Be aware that each layer will partially dissolve the previous layer, too many layers in short time will result in a runny mess.

Dont try to sand paint until its fully dry (leave overnight)

If a hair or piece of dust lands on it when drying, You're best to leave it to dry, then try to sand it flat. DONT keep layering paint on; it may get covered eventually, but trust me, you're better off leaving it overnight and sanding it out.

Keep this in mind, and you will get suprisingly good results.
Dont paint the PG, use RIT Dye and Dye it.

CLICK HERE to see some of the PG's I have done. One thing I now do is lower the temp of the water to prevent warping. Read the thread and youll see what I mean.
Last edited by Sam Hain at Dec 13, 2011,
he is painting a black PG, will the dye work?
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
Quote by ibanez2011
he is painting a black PG, will the dye work?

Ooops....sorry about that, didn't notice. It won't work with black.

I would try Lexan Paint. You can find it at hobby stores that have RC cars and planes.
Last edited by Sam Hain at Dec 14, 2011,
That RIT Dye trick looks pretty nice. I made a mental note of that for future use.
Get a clear pickguard and paint the back. Or put a piece of paper the color you want behind the clear pickguard. Back painting also works with graphics. Good luck
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Dec 14, 2011,