Would this be the BEST CAB FOR METAL?

By metals I mean 7-string tuned close to an 8 string (low F#, the rest in drop B), high gain. Not 80's style. Probably would use for recording primarily.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 13, 2011,
I didn't care much for the G12T100 when I tried a combo with it... it's got some bite to it, but it's too much imo and it gets tiring after a while to my ears. Personally, I like the G12K on it's own for metal. They supposedly work well combined with V30s for high-gain, though I have not tried that combination myself.
I have a G12T-100 in an old school Randall combo, it's an angry little speaker. My understanding was that sonically G12T-100 is similar to the GT12T-75 and K-100s are basically V30s with tigher low end.

I've heard good things (youtube comparisson somewhere too) about V30 + G12T75... was wondering if this combo would be EVEN BETTER FOR METAL.
Hey, if you've got a T100 already, you can just as well combine it with a K100 and see how it works. If you end up not liking it, you can still order something different. Nothing to lose, far as I see.

EDIT: T75 and V30 is a popular combination, but again, haven't tried it. :/
GK100/V30 combo would be much better IMO. I'd say the G12T-100 would be a better mix with a V30 than a GK100, though. GK100/GT100 would be far too much lowend for my liking, the V30 needs to be there to add in the high mids, otherwise, unless you're using an amp that is super high mid dominant, the cab is going to have too much lows and low mids and be boomy and muddy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by cGoEcYk
I have a G12T-100 in an old school Randall combo, it's an angry little speaker. My understanding was that sonically G12T-100 is similar to the GT12T-75 and K-100s are basically V30s with tigher low end.

the K-100 is a very different speaker than the V30, K-100 has a much more even response, no mids hump, handles low end much better and has a much 'stiffer' feel/response.

not really much of a comparison at all, the K-100 won't stand out in the mix nearly as much as a V30 will.

Quote by cGoEcYk
I've heard good things (youtube comparisson somewhere too) about V30 + G12T75... was wondering if this combo would be EVEN BETTER FOR METAL.

i know we all like to think there are 'perfect' things out there, and i know how we constantly say "perfection is an illusion, it's all personal taste"; but seriously how do you expect us to know what is 'EVEN BETTER' for you? the best you'll ever get from us is our opinion on what might be best for you (which is usually based on what we have/use).

that being said...

Quote by cGoEcYk
By metals I mean 7-string tuned close to an 8 string (low F#, the rest in drop B), high gain. Not 80's style. Probably would use for recording primarily.

...a set of G12K-100's would most likely best serve you. the K-100 will be able to handle the low end without muddying up (it is used in bass/guitar hybrid cabs), it'll also provide much better attack with the lower tunings. if you wanna mix the K-100 with another speaker (mixing with a V30 will help you cut in the mix, the T series is pretty meh pairing with a K-100), then go ahead but i think the K-100 will perform more capably by itself in your situation.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
This might turn into a war. There is no best cab for metal.

I nominate Rear loaded Ubercab, VHT cab or Soldano.

I think the Uber has 75's and v30's in the X. The other 2 are custom speakers.

What amp do you use? That will have alot to do with speaker selection. The gear for metal thread will have a nice list.

Mills, Vader, Mesa, Orange, Ear Candy, Red Star just to name a few. The cabinet size and wood type will have lots to do with the sound too not just the speakers. Then you have open back vs closed. Ported or not. Good Luck
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Dec 14, 2011,
I prefer the Eminence V12, it is a very smooth speaker that handle's lows just fine. I'm getting 2 WGS verean 30's to put in an X pattern with the V12's. We'll see how well that works.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by maddnotez
What amp do you use? That will have alot to do with speaker selection. The gear for metal thread will have a nice list.

I am using an Ibanez Thermion with SED Winged C's in the power, possibly some upgrades from stock in the pre.

Right now I use the Therm with an open back Avatar 2x12 with Emminence Black Powders (purchased used, super cheap) at 4-ohms. My research on the BPs shows a fairly similar frequency response curve to V30s, so I'd say they operate in that ball park. These speakers have some aggressive bite around 2k with reasonable highs... not banshee like the G12T-100 I own.

This cab sounds excellent at the volumes I've used it at (I wouldnt gig with open back, not doing modern metal).

My guitarist also used a Thermion through a Marshall 1960 (G12T-75). It sounded good, less aggressive midrange cut but overall warmer with the T-75 sizzle/fizzle. Maybe slightly preferable for leads. To keep the lows tight, the head had to be run at 0 Bass through his cab.

For this reason, even though I prefer V30 mids with this head, I am kind of interested in a V30/T-75 pair up... just wanted to get an idea of if there was something that was BETTER FOR METAL.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 14, 2011,
For this reason, even though I prefer V30 mids with this head, I am kind of interested in a V30/T-75 pair up... just wanted to get an idea of if there was something that was BETTER FOR METAL

Check out the Ubercab. Hear nothing but goodness about it.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness