Hi, I've been considering building a guitar for a while, but always been kinda put off because I haven't had any experience in luthiery. (Well, apart from replacing a pickup in my ESP.) So I was looking around, and found this: http://www.guitar-kits.co.uk/products/electric-guitar-kits/flamed-maple-prs-style/
It seems a good place to start, enabling me to get experience in guitar building instead of attempting to build one from scratch.

But I need to know two things..
1. Are these kits any good?
2. What tools and extra materials would I need?

Cheers.
BYOguitar has some nice kits, but that one should be fine for a 1st kit.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ I did one, looks almost like a Custom 22, minus the superior finishing skills of the people over at PRS >_>

BYOGuitar is probably your safest bet as far as guitar kits go though.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I've been tempted to do this for a while, and the link in the OP seems to be one of the best options I've found in the UK.

Note to all other posters: BYOguitar is an American site so not much help to us in the UK, same thing goes for Warmoth.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Now I'm home, I thought I'd post the links to the other UK sites I've found when I've been looking for a guitar kit:

http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk/
http://www.guitarkitz.co.uk/page_products.htm
http://www.guitarspares.com/contents/en-uk/d414.html

Those all appear to be pretty good kits, and judging them purely by reviews I'd recommend them. Thomann also have quite a few kits on their site.

There's also this place:
http://swiftmusiclondon.weebly.com/guitar-kits.html

I've seen reviews of a couple of their non-kit guitars, and they all seem to agree that a £50 guitar isn't worth buying (no surprise there...). I can't help thinking though, that if you're attempting a first build and don't really know what you're doing, if you screw up at least you've only lost £50!!

Hope I've helped.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Besides the obvious tools. Don't for get to educate yourself as well. Stew-mac has many books and DVD's available on guitar setup, finishing, wiring, etc. Know what you're doing before you do it. Money spent on them is an example of unexpected costs, but necessary.
Practice before you work on your guitar. Practice soldering, spray painting, etc on scrap before committing to the guitar. Do overs and mistake repairs can wreck a guitar project and your desire to finish it, not to mention extra costs and time.
Start simple. A single pickup solid body project has a better chance of a successful outcome than trying to build a three pickup fiveway switched hollowbody as your first project. Your third guitar will be better than your first guitar.
How's your temperment? Do you throw tools and get angry fast? Can you learn on your own? Can you build something less than perfect and still be proud of the achievment? Will it end up under the bead because you lost interest in guitar building because it got hard or boring?
Good luck.
Quote by GaryBillington
Note to all other posters: BYOguitar is an American site so not much help to us in the UK, same thing goes for Warmoth.

They both ship over-seas thats why they are suggested
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They both ship over-seas thats why they are suggested

I know, but the cost of shipping & import taxes mean you'll end up paying twice what they're worth.

There used to be ways around some of the charges, unfortunately HMRC tightened up the rules a few years ago so importing from the US doesn't save money anymore.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ah, thanks for all the advice, I posted this then forgot to check back haha.
I've been reading up alot, and I'm gonna order a couple of books after christmas. I'm not too bothered about it looking perfect, in fact, I'm hoping it'll turn out looking more organic and home-made. I'm planning on putting in the same pickups that Mikael Akerfeldt uses (PRS HFS Treble and Vintage Bass) but the kit I posted comes with strings (I think) and pickups, so I'll wire the crappy pups, and decide if I wanna spend more money on the PRS ones. So basically I'm hoping for a guitar that has some personality and charm, but sounds awesome as well. And if it fails, I can put it down to experience. :P
Carvin makes some nice build kits. I've been wanting one for awhile now. A friend built a strat-like carvin and it is a very smooth player. The body's sent slightly rough still so you will have to do light sanding and then finish it to your liking. I think that's cool.
I have been looking into this recently as well, as I saw someone bump a thread where someone used a Grizzly guitar kit. It looked really nice, and I figured for the cost I might be able to make a passable LP shaped guitar.