I just got a Mexi Fender Strat. I want to string some David Gimlour Sigs on it. Do I need to adjust anything on the bridge before I do this?

They're 10's by the way.
Last edited by jealousmonkey at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by jealousmonkey
It had 9's on it. Using a lower gauge won't have too much pull on the neck will it?

No, you will be fine...

The only thing may be that with the higher gauge, you may have to tighten the springs on the tremelo to get the bridge to float at the same height....

you might not..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by jealousmonkey
It had 9's on it. Using a lower gauge won't have too much pull on the neck will it?

If you don't know what you're doing take it to a guitar techie, you wanna set the action or adjust the trust rod so it feels more comfortable to play and move it in such a way it won't cause damage to your neck in the long-term.

9's to 10's isn't that much of a difference, i once went from 9s to 12s and decided that was a massively bad idea, took it to a techie who did some wizardry on it, plays a lot better now.
dont adjust anything before. if the action is higher after you get the strings tuned up then tighten the screw with springs in the back.
Quote by AJScott
If you don't know what you're doing take it to a guitar techie

That'd be a waste of cash.

Seriously, just stick them on!
I'm going to assume your tremolo is flush to the body, when you put 10s on, there's a slight chance the bridge is gonna raise a bit, some people like it like that, if you don't, just tighten the springs in the back. Nothing serious.

Hell, once I went from 9s to 10s on a guitar with a floating bridge and no adjustment was needed. (To be fair that was an Ibanez ZR bridge, which are a bit more stable than Floyd Rose bridges).
Quote by adambauman31
dont adjust anything before. if the action is higher after you get the strings tuned up then tighten the screw with springs in the back.

Or measure the space between the guitar Body and the bottom of the bridge before you change them.. then adjust the strings to match after putting on the new ones..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Punk_Ninja

I'm going to assume your tremolo is flush to the body,

My MIM Strat came set with the bridge floating about 3/16" off the body of the guitar...

You can prevent this by tightening the bridge springs, but it's not going to float that way...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
My MIM Strat came set with the bridge floating about 3/16" off the body of the guitar...

The majority of stock strats I've tried have all been flush to the body, just making an assumption here.
Thanks guys, this info will come in handy.

I will throw the strings on when I get home & see if it feels right to me.