Hey guys, I'm planning my first guitar build and was wondering if a guitar made of solid Padauk would be too bright. I've read that the tone is similar to maple, but I'm planning on pickups that will balance out the tonal characteristics a bit (Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge, and possibly a GFS Dream 180 or a Reilander Muckbucker (just found out about this guy the other day) in the neck). I'm expecting the neck pickup to be brighter obviously, but will the guitar overall be too bright to get a good overdriven rock sound? I'm used to a mahogany body and haven't been out to the store to try an all-maple guitar for comparison (though I will), so I'm cautious as of now.

Thanks in advance.
If it's too bright, use your tone knob?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
All-maple guitars aren't that bad, I've tried a few and didn't really find them to be too bright at all. Definitely brighter than my Les Paul or a Jackson Soloist with an alder body.

Quote by shinhoman
If it's too bright, use your tone knob?

x

This, but pickup choices compensate a bit too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
All-maple guitars aren't that bad, I've tried a few and didn't really find them to be too bright at all. Definitely brighter than my Les Paul or a Jackson Soloist with an alder body.

How drastic of a change is it compared to the Paul? Of course the body shape makes a difference as well, but not considering that. And yes, I could turn the tone knob down, but I want to make sure it's not inherently so bright that countering that will make me lose too much "bite."
Quote by sytharnia1560
whats the neck and more importantly fretboard going to be??

Neck is also Padauk, and I'm planning on a Pau Ferro fretboard. How is the fretboard more important than the neck when it comes to tone though...?

Also, for at least the bridge humbucker, I did choose one with more bass/mids. So that might work out alright.
Last edited by -Blue- at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by -Blue-
Neck is also Padauk, and I'm planning on a Pau Ferro fretboard. How is the fretboard more important than the neck when it comes to tone though...?.

I have found that the fretboard wood helps with that last 5% of tone chasing (in fact for me it is all about the fretboard....but that is just OCD )....I find guitars with rosewood boards don't have the "bite" that I like (depending on the body wood of coarse)....I think the pau ferro is a good choice with the padauk because it should balance any unwanted high end from the body...ebony would be a bad choice (again imo)
Quote by sytharnia1560
I have found that the fretboard wood helps with that last 5% of tone chasing (in fact for me it is all about the fretboard....but that is just OCD )....I find guitars with rosewood boards don't have the "bite" that I like (depending on the body wood of coarse)....I think the pau ferro is a good choice with the padauk because it should balance any unwanted high end from the body...ebony would be a bad choice (again imo)

Interesting. I just chose it based on cost and aesthetics. Thanks!

And Ippon, everywhere I've checked says that they are very similar, so that's good to know.