no
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by :-D
It's not. That's not what modes are.

Don't worry about modes.

+

you're in over your head kid
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Modes are ghey.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Weirdbag
Hey Pit

Just a quick question:
If somebodys talking about the 5 positions of the major scale, is he talking about the 5 modes?

No. If he's talking about the 5 positions of the major scale, then he's talking about... the 5 positions of the major scale.

Anyway, there aren't 5 positions of the major scale. There are 5 positions of the pentatonic scale. Do you know why?

There are 7 positions of the major scale. Do you know why?
Quote by mdc
No. If he's talking about the 5 positions of the major scale, then he's talking about... the 5 positions of the major scale.

Anyway, there aren't 5 positions MODES of the major scale. There are 5 positions MODES of the pentatonic scale. Do you know why?

There are 7 positions MODES of the major scale. Do you know why?
^Fixed.
There is one major scale that can be broken into however many "positions" you want.

The CAGED method breaks the major scale across the fretboard into five positions.
The 3nps method uses seven positions and they are sometimes named after the modes in error. They are NOT modes.

I get to pull out my pic again
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Dec 13, 2011,
Quote by Weirdbag
Hey Pit

Just a quick question:
If somebodys talking about the 5 positions of the major scale, is he talking about the 5 modes?

Maybe not "talking" about it, no.

But if you use the note pitch equivalent of the C Major scale in 2nd position, and played it against a D drone and/or a Dorian progression and resolved on the D note - you have the mode, however, just because it may be the pitch equivalent, doesn't mean its modal, unless used in a modal context.

I say that, because if it were Dorian, then the root D would be on the beginning note of that scale (in the pitch equivalent of C major in 2nd position), however if that's Dorian, then all the positions of that C Major scale (pitch equivalent) are Dorian, not just the second position. If it's modal in the context... it's modal (In other words, context is everything).

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Dec 14, 2011,
Quote by 20Tigers
^Fixed.
The CAGED method breaks the major scale across the fretboard into five positions.

Being such an advocate of the CAGED system, I surprised myself not mentioning that.
The 3nps method uses seven positions and they are sometimes named after the modes in error. They are NOT modes.

So why did you "fix" my post by changing the word?
Only part of your statement holds true and only when you use an approach that breaks the major scale into seven "positions". Different approaches (CAGED method for example) use five "positions". However many positions you use for the Major scale you can use the same number of positions for the pentatonic scale.

However, there are seven "modes" of the major scale and five "modes" of the pentatonic scale. There are never any more or any less than that.

And so those sentences the way they are originally written are only true if you apply a specific way of breaking the major scale into the number of positions you use. But they are not true in all instances because there CAN be five positions of the major scale or seven positions of the petnatonic scale.

However, if you change the word to MODES then there are always seven modes of the major scale, no more no less. There are always five modes of the pentatonic scale, never more and never less.

And so when you use the word "modes" all your sentences are a true , all of the time. When you use the word "position", they are not.

Hope that makes sense.
Si
In Classical guitar there are "positions" rather than "shapes". When learning guitar for contemporary styles of music, the method is based on shapes and positions. there's a bit of crossover with terminology.

Depends on the chord being played.
Last edited by mdc at Dec 14, 2011,