It doesnt matter if I'm playing acoustic or electric, my left hand aches after playing even one song with power chords. One of my warm up songs is Alternative Ulster by Stiff Little Fingers, just gets me in the flow of things, and I can barely wait until the "solo" so I can rest my hand

I self leant guitar, it could be my technique? I play power chords with two fingers, 1 and 3, barred across the chords.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've been playing on and off for 7 years, I'm competent but no where near the mastery of some folk on here, so I'm here asking for some advice.

I tried lowering the strings as far as they could go but it hasn't helped, and it just makes the guitar sound like franz ferdinand. Ugh!

I would primarily play punk songs, so this is an issue for me, i've no problem with chords and acoustic playing. Tried googling it, didnt get much info. Help!
Last edited by Jamesy C at Dec 13, 2011,
I self leant guitar, it could be my technique? I play power chords with two fingers, 1 and 3, barred across the chords.

Yeah, barres with the third finger like that are pretty tiring. Use 134 and don't press any harder than you need to. Make sure your left wrist is fairly straight at all times.
Quote by Freepower
Yeah, barres with the third finger like that are pretty tiring. Use 134 and don't press any harder than you need to. Make sure your left wrist is fairly straight at all times.

I noticed most guitarists use 134 for power chords but always found it difficult to play quickly, doesnt seem to sound as clean as 1&3? Maybe its just my hearing.

Also a Dublin lad Belfast here.
Quote by Freepower
Should sound cleaner unless you're doin' it wrong.

I'm actually from Ballamoney hai, just live down here now.

Ach jaysus we've a culchie here!

Its such a daft thing for me since I've been playing for so long but I cant get a clean sound 134, suppose I'll have to start forcing myself to play that way.

Anything else you can recommend? Reckon any exercises would help like one of those balls you can work on grip with?
What's not clean about it? Is it just that your pinky is far too weak or are you getting string noise.

And as for other recommendations, man, I've got a 11,000 word essay on technique in my sig and 30 odd youtube vids on stuff. Take yer pick.

For what you're asking, I'd say just keep going at the powerchords but with the new fingering, it'll work out in the long run. I've got one of my students IRL to switch and he's loving it. Also makes barres easier.
I never even looked at your sig, I will do now

7 years of shit technique is hard to change but guess I gotta.

All other suggestions also welcome!