hey guys the past year ive been getting really deep into rock music especial metal like metallica and guns n roses, these are my favorite bands. dont mean to sound stupid, but like everything i think about all day is guitar after watching slash. hes my favorite guitarist by far. ive watched alot of others but his style to me is perfect. this video is the style i wanna learn. that whole song is so amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGEnNPT_5iw

anyway, im looking to get my first guitar but have no idea about guitars. i talked to my dad about getting me one and he was reallly into the idea too.

im not sure how much he'd be willing to spend but probably 400 or so if i had to say.

my favorite bands are metallica, guns n roses, some ozzy osbourne, megadeth, few pinkfloyd songs, and some led zeppelin stuff. favorite band definitely is guns n roses.

oh yea, ill probably need an amp too. something good for an aprtment though as we live in the city sooo nothin too loud.
400 of what currency?
I would definitely consider looking at used gear, maybe an epiphone les paul and something like a Peavey Vypyr for an amp?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Well, if you're a huge Slash fan, naturally you're gonna probably want a Les Paul-type guitar, I'd look at Vintage, Ibanez(the ART series are *VERY* nice metal guitars) and Epiphone in your price range for those.

As for an amp, a Roland Cube'd be nice, and from what I hear a Peavey Vypyr might do the trick too. Just...don't get a Line6 Spider or a Marshall MG, both are...atrocious amps, to be frank.

And with Epi, make sure you get a Standard, not a Special II or a LP-100, they're both pretty bottom-rung guitars and the Special II's not even mahogany-bodied, so it probably won't really even sound like a LP anyways. Cheers!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I agree with above's advice about Epi's, the bolt-on neck ones are pretty poor. Also look into a Vox VT for an amp, they're very good for the price
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
My advice would be to go for a used instrument. That's how I've always gone and I love my guitars. My Jackson Kelly KE3 Pro has one of the best metal tones of any guitar I've played as of yet. Unfortunately, Jackson is no longer Jackson, and they belong to Fender. They use a different kind of pickups and don't have the same feel they used to, so if you're going for a Jackson I would say go for something prior to when fender bought them out (I believe it was 2004?). If you're set on a new one though, you can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG. They're really the best bang for your buck. STAY AWAY FROM FLOYD ROSE TREMOLO SYSTEMS THOUGH. I cannot emphasize that enough. As a beginner, definitely just go for a fixed bridge guitar. Personally I would recommend the Ibanez RG321 for that style of music, and as far as amps go, Peavey VYPYR is a great amp for the price. I've been thrilled with mine and I live in a dorm, so size shouldn't be an issue for you if you go for the 15w or 30w.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your guitar endeavours!
Jackson Kelly KE3 Pro
Ibanez RG7621 7-string
1970s Fender FS-210 acoustic
Peavey VYPYR 30w
Oh, and what I said about RGs is true for everything but the RG120. It's a piece of shit. Stay away from it.
Jackson Kelly KE3 Pro
Ibanez RG7621 7-string
1970s Fender FS-210 acoustic
Peavey VYPYR 30w
Quote by VinterKrig
My advice would be to go for a used instrument. That's how I've always gone and I love my guitars. My Jackson Kelly KE3 Pro has one of the best metal tones of any guitar I've played as of yet. Unfortunately, Jackson is no longer Jackson, and they belong to Fender. They use a different kind of pickups and don't have the same feel they used to, so if you're going for a Jackson I would say go for something prior to when fender bought them out (I believe it was 2004?). If you're set on a new one though, you can't go wrong with an Ibanez RG. They're really the best bang for your buck. STAY AWAY FROM FLOYD ROSE TREMOLO SYSTEMS THOUGH. I cannot emphasize that enough. As a beginner, definitely just go for a fixed bridge guitar. Personally I would recommend the Ibanez RG321 for that style of music, and as far as amps go, Peavey VYPYR is a great amp for the price. I've been thrilled with mine and I live in a dorm, so size shouldn't be an issue for you if you go for the 15w or 30w.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your guitar endeavours!

This guy has the right idea, Vypyr and an RG, that's what you need.

Also for more music, I suggest finding Paul Gilbert, you may like some of his Racer X and Mr. Big songs. He's my favorite guitarist by far, and I think you'll like a lot of his stuff.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by Enix165
Well, if you're a huge Slash fan, naturally you're gonna probably want a Les Paul-type guitar, I'd look at Vintage, Ibanez(the ART series are *VERY* nice metal guitars) and Epiphone in your price range for those.

As for an amp, a Roland Cube'd be nice, and from what I hear a Peavey Vypyr might do the trick too. Just...don't get a Line6 Spider or a Marshall MG, both are...atrocious amps, to be frank.

And with Epi, make sure you get a Standard, not a Special II or a LP-100, they're both pretty bottom-rung guitars and the Special II's not even mahogany-bodied, so it probably won't really even sound like a LP anyways. Cheers!

What he said, minus the ART I hate mine.

Get an Epi traditional pro. It has coil tapz and you could always buy some inlays that look like abalone if you want
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by VinterKrig
Oh, and what I said about RGs is true for everything but the RG120. It's a piece of shit. Stay away from it.

The 120 is one of my favorite Ibanez guitars , if all my gear was stolen and I had to buy a guitar to hold me over it would be the 120 more than likely. I've got one from '92 (with the strat-style bridge and vintage button tuners) and a modern one with the floating bridge, both are solid budget guitars with great necks in my opinion. Thought for an absolute beginner I would stay away from these since setting up and maintaining a floating bridge might be a hassle.

For a Slash fan with a $400 budget (better than I had starting out), I'd recommend..
-Epiphone Les Paul Studio (used), solid instrument and they run about $250 2nd hand
-One of the Roland Cubes or a Vox Valvetronix (both used). Either's a good starting amp, I'd stay away from the Peavey Vypyr because they can be a little much for a beginner. It's easy to get lost in all the settings when you're learning to play

EDIT: There's no such thing as "the best" when it comes to music gear. Some guys (Malmsteen for example) demands the highest quality gear money can buy while others get along fine using cheap stuff (Jack White from the White Strips). White uses budget guitars and amps from the late 60's and has made millions. Though the price on that stuff has quadrupled because of him playing it...

Point is, there isn't a "best" except for what works for you. However here's some guidelines to go by so you don't get stuck with lousy gear and lose interest.
-Stay away from Marshall's MG series amps, you'll kick yourself later down the road
-Don't buy a Line 6 Spider amp, same reason as the MG comment above
-Avoid bolt-on neck Epiphones and Deans
-Avoid anything with "B.C. Rich" on the headstock (vintage models are a different story)
-Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the process of learning!
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 13, 2011,
http://www.rondomusic.com/al-20002ts.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000csb.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000hsbf.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000tobacco.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4659.html

Out of those, pick your favorite colour. Then find a used Peavey Vypyr 30 on Guitar Center's website. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used-Gear.gc?src=vypyr&o=1 (the 15w would not be as good).

Or for amp, used Vox VT or Roland Cube would work.

The Agile's are Epiphone quality or higher, but for a better price. For the price of a used and abused Epiphone, you could get a new Agile of better or equal quality for the same price.
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Dec 13, 2011,
go to a guitar store and ask the sales person to show you some options. you're not going to get slash's tone in your budget, but there is a huge variety of guitar/amp combos you can get for under $500. just avoid starter packs and cheap marshall amps (anything with MG in the name). starter packs generally contain total crap under the guise of a good deal (a good salesperson will generally give you good advice and the best value for dollar), and cheap marshalls share nothing with their much more expensive siblings save for cosmetics (really, nothing carries over).

you'll probably want a guitar with humbuckers though, as they are better suited to hi-gain amp tones
+1 for all the people advocating used. With the money you save you can get 3 different guitars. Since you're new, you might change your mind a few times about what you like.