Ok I know next to nothing about strings and types and weights and I would just like to know what are the best types of strings to get for my guitar and my play style (tunings etc).

I have a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and I play Standard E tuning, Drop D, and Drop C occasionally (I'd like to do drop C more but the strings feel sooo slinky when I do).

I have literally no idea what strings are good and what are ones to stay away from. I think I'm using the standard .10 set so they're not really the thicker strings that you'd need for drop c. I've been wary of going to .11 or .12 because I've heard sometimes you need to have your neck adjusted for the extra tension that those strings add.

I play mostly rock and metal music. My latest thing is learning Pantera songs. Gotta love em.

Please help me pick out strings and give advice to this newb so I don't wreck my guitar or my tone
If your kinda eh-eh about string tension and your a beginner get a set of Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom's .52-.10's, Avenged Sevenfold's guitarist's use them to play in Drop D and Drop C.
I use much heavier strings now for Drop C (.64-.10's) which makes it much harder to play but I used to use the Skinny top heavy bottom's for Drop C and they have a decent ammount of tension, and I use those strings for standard tuning ATM.
Try them out.
METAL!
You might like Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom. The top strings are .52 but the bottom three are just like you .10 set. You can actually adjust the neck yourself if you are extremely careful. I had no idea what I was doing, so i looked up a video and it worked out, just go slow.
Those are great, or try the Ernie Ball "power slinky". I dont remember the gauge, but they are the next step up from the regular strings. They can easily do standard E and keep the strings from being too loose in C. But to help on your string knowledge, the thicker the string, the more tension it makes, so that means, you'll have to tune lower. Thicker strings are also harder to bend but sustain the sound longer i think.
Quote by Kenjisan231
You might like Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom. The top strings are .52 but the bottom three are just like you .10 set. You can actually adjust the neck yourself if you are extremely careful. I had no idea what I was doing, so i looked up a video and it worked out, just go slow.

Think you can link me the video you used? I am very scared of adjusting my truss rod and I'd really prefer not to. How would I know if I need to after putting the strings on? I do like the idea of the skinny tops heavy bottoms though.
Power Slinkys are .11s, great strings Hold tuning extremely well in standard without adding too much tension. They should tune down better than .10s by a noticeable amount. To me they feel great in drop D or Eb and also open D, where most of the strings are tuned a fair whack lower than standard
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Exodus04
Think you can link me the video you used? I am very scared of adjusting my truss rod and I'd really prefer not to. How would I know if I need to after putting the strings on? I do like the idea of the skinny tops heavy bottoms though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD7zXzkrdM

With my guitar, the neck is bowed inward (think of a parabola). It doesn't have to be extreme, like I said, go very slow, or you could damage the neck. If you are still worried, you can always get a professional to set it up for about $35
Thanks for all your help people. I picked up my new set of Skinny tops heavy bottoms for my Schecter. I also got a set of normals for my Fender and a set of Martins for my acoustic Was a great night and I found a sweet place in town to go buy them where I got all 3 sets for only $17! Can you believe that!

I do have one question though. How long does it generally take to break in new strings? I just restrung the acoustic last night and the damn thing keeps going out of tune every time I play something lol. I know it gets better after they get broken in I'm just wondering how long that generally takes?
Heh finally explains why people never just go and put on a new string after one snaps on stage lol. I'd be pissed if it went out of tune every 30 seconds at first too! lol. I've always wondered how people in bands handle their restringing. I mean do they just do it 3-4 days before a show and then play the crap out of it to get it all loose? I'd hate to have a string go out of tune in the middle of a song.
When you add new strings to your guitar, you need to stretch them.

EDIT: this should help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DxlcE2A2M
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Exodus04
Heh finally explains why people never just go and put on a new string after one snaps on stage lol. I'd be pissed if it went out of tune every 30 seconds at first too! lol. I've always wondered how people in bands handle their restringing. I mean do they just do it 3-4 days before a show and then play the crap out of it to get it all loose? I'd hate to have a string go out of tune in the middle of a song.

If you properly stretch your strings they can be ready to play within 10 minutes without going out of tune. I change strings a few days before a big gig usually. Also I do, and I know a lot of bands that gig alot bring back up guitars. I keep mine either in the case or on a guitar stand behind my amp or off to the side. While changing a string isnt that difficult, I'd much rather just grab another guitar and go. Makes things a whole lot easier and fast.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Thanks for all the great insight everyone! You've helped me out a TON. Special thanks to Chaz-6(sic)6 and Kenjisan231 for the video links!

I am planning to restring my Schecter tonight with the skinny tops heavy bottoms so I will try this out!
For stretching the strings, this video is pretty good to, probably a little better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvDdYYs0Zc
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Nice - I like the first stretching video better because he's straight to the point. The 2nd guy is kinda like well you can do this but do whatever you want lol. I tried what they said in the first video and it worked like a charm on my acoustic! Those pesky nylons won't be going out of tune on me after 1 song anymore! On to the Schecter!
Update: Works great on my Schecter too. I had to stretch them about 3 times after I strung it up and re-tune in between each stretch but then it played great when my buddy came over and we jammed for like a good hour and it stayed in tune. AWESOME thank you guys so much!
I use 0.13 jazz medium daddarios in standard. Be a manleh man and join me in the cluhb.
Quote by Mind Kill
I use 0.13 jazz medium daddarios in standard. Be a manleh man and join me in the cluhb.

I HAD to picture Bruce in your avatar saying that...

OP went well with 10-52's. If the bottom end proves too heavy for Drop D and E Standard, I'm currently on DR Tite Fit 10-50's. Probably the most balanced strings I've ever used for Drop D.