Hey iv been looking around and seeing that most of guitarists i like are using distortion pedals and im i bit confused about what to do.

Im buying a mesa dual in about a months time, if i put a distortion pedal in my loop does that mean im gonna cover up the mesa sound? Or is it better for me to play through the amp with no pedal?

Would appreciate any replies a lot btw im in to metal kinda like machine head trivium avenged stuff like that
you wont need a "distortion" pedal. You will want to get an overdrive pedal at some point tho. After getting mine i cant imagine playing without it..
Mesas have pretty f*cking good drive channels, don't they?
Once you set in a nice EQ, it should cover most of your dirty sounds, unless you get an OD.
Quote by surjer
you wont need a "distortion" pedal. You will want to get an overdrive pedal at some point tho. After getting mine i cant imagine playing without it..

Why do you recommend him a OD instead of distortion? Just wondering.
Most people use distortion pedals instead of the natural distortion the amp creates. So if cleans are very important to you, and you find an amp with amazing cleans and so-so distortion, run a good distortion pedal on the clean channel and you can get a good (depending on the pedal) distortion tone.
But that Mesa will have enough distortion for what you need. If you feel you need a little more out it, run an overdrive pedal in front of your amp to push the o/d channel more.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
depends really.

I found(personal experience)

Distortion pedals are used for 3 things

1: ss amp with crap distortion, and dist pedal makes it sound bearable
2: Amps distortion doesn't quite get the sound that a certain dist pedal might, i.e. fuzz pedal
3: they just don't care, generally people who are not into tone as much
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Cause all the cool people do it like his favorite bands and their TS808's! lol

On the serious note he should be more than happy with the gain coming out of that amp. The OD will provide a nice boost and added definition to his "chugga chugga" and make those solo's scream.

The addition of an EQ pedal will really help him shape his sound as well..
The mesa rips on the drive channel bro. Although an o/d will tighten up the bottom end if you want the guitar to track faster, cause i feel the mesa is a little loose (which i like) but if youre playing some metal then the modern mode will do the job, but its preference. Alternatively if you want that JCM sound then yeah sling a plextortion or something on the front but it should be all good unless you want to use one as a boost or something
Quote by surjer
Cause all the cool people do it like his favorite bands and their TS808's! lol

TS808's are OD's not distortions
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
depends really.

I found(personal experience)

Distortion pedals are used for 3 things

1: ss amp with crap distortion, and dist pedal makes it sound bearable
2: Amps distortion doesn't quite get the sound that a certain dist pedal might, i.e. fuzz pedal
3: they just don't care, generally people who are not into tone as much

Could be true, but someone who doesn't care would probably be fine with the amp's distortion

I'd like to add tube amps with only one channel to that list.

That being said, I don't think TS will need a distortion pedal. An overdrive would be nice, however.
Quote by surjer
which is exactly what i suggested he get, a nice OD pedal.. read the whole thing n00b! lol

You actually didn't suggest he got one. You just told him what an OD would do if he had one.
And an 11'er calling someone a n00b? An 11'er from november, really?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Kevin19
Could be true, but someone who doesn't care would probably be fine with the amp's distortion

Unless they don't care about their tone, but do care about how much gear they can buy and have all on a pedal board running at the same time
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by NemX162
Why do you recommend him a OD instead of distortion? Just wondering.

The terms overdrive and distortion are usually used interchangeably, but they're two different things. Distortion (as the name says) distorts your signal to create a certain tone. Overdrive pushes your amp harder to create a certain tone. Two very different ways of achieving a certain sound. In my experience, with a solid state amp you won't notice much of a difference between the two. But with a nice tube amp like the Mesa, stick with overdrive pedals. They'll push that thing into sweet tube gain heaven
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Koshman32 - check post #2

i said n00b but also put lol (was jsut teasing because i truly did suggest he get one) which you did indeed miss which is why i called you a n00b (in jest)..

Now i'll play the part of a n00b - whats an 11'er?
Cheers guys i posted this last night and went to sleep then had work today. Yeah i think i wanna use as much of the amp as possible i was thinking about getting the boss sd 1 super overdrive would this be suitable? i care about tone a lot. The main problem i have at the moment is not getting enough sustain really. i get good crunch out of my roland cube 60 i think its a great amp actually. But i want a in your face guitar tone with leads like avenged sevenfold but for rhythm i want a metallica / trivium tone thats a lot heavier compared with a7x lol something in between the two
You should check out the Maxon OD808. My guess is that's the sound your aiming for. (There are other options but at least check it out). My buddy plays his BOSS SD1 on a 5150 amp as a boost for leads. Sounds keelor! Like i said tho, i think your looking for that 808 sound..
So i can get a good enough tone with the need for one of these pedals buts it good to have either as a booster for leads / solos or just an addition to the tone? Cause the mesa dual will come with a footswitch anyway i guess for boosting?
i personally leave mine on all the time for both rythem and lead. I like the way it shapes the tone for all of it. i think quite a few modern metal players do the same thing.

A.) You'll love your amp the way it is
B.) You'll love it even more when playing metal if you have that OD pedal turned on and dialed in.

Many ways to use an OD pedal tho. specifically i was talking about using it to shape your overall tone..
Okay thanks i looked at that pedal and might pick it up, that or the sd 1. Dont think distortion sounds like the right thing for what im looking for. My mate has a metal zone and it changes the way the amp sounds completely whereas i wanna use as much a """""Natural""""" sound from the amp lol
Quote by surjer

+1

also don't put od or distortion pedals in the loop, put them in front.

but yeah your mesa has pretty killer distortion without pedals. but an od used for a little boost, and to tighten it up, will probably sound awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont have a pedal board at the moment what the difference between loop and in front?. I put pedal like amp lead to pedal lead to guitar sort of shizzle :/
loop comes after the amp's preamp generally, so you put any pedals in there that you'd generally want to come after distortion- things like delays and reverbs. some other pedals, like wahs, overdrives and distortions, you'd put in front of the amp, as you generally want them driving the preamp. Some other pedals, depending on what you want to do with them, can go either place.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?