I want to start playing guitar but do not know what to buy!

I was thinking about getting one of those Value packs but what do you guys think?

my price range is from $100-$350($500 max)

Genre of Music i want to play: Metal

New or Used: No preference

I will really appreciate your responses! Thank You!
Last edited by tbnyc1 at Dec 13, 2011,
remember that you get what you pay for. if it's cheap usually it's very cheaply made so it wont last and probably be harder to play.
Quote by tbnyc1
I want to start playing guitar but do not know what to buy!

I was thinking about getting one of those Value packs but what do you guys think?

my price range is from $100-$500

Genre of Music i want to play: Metal

New or Used: No preference

I will really appreciate your responses! Thank You!

Yeah do not get a value pack, first off what kind of amp are you playing on or plan to be getting because your amp is in my opinion more important than your guitar to a point but for "metal" look into these guitars, ive played them and like them.
Schecter C-1 standard
Epiphone Les paul standard ( I just got one they are great for all music genre's)
Ibanez RG5EX1
Jackson DX10D ( also a great guitar, floyd rose though, dont know if you mind)
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Get a Line 6, 15 watt amp

Get an Ibanez or a Squire, just make sure it has a Humbucker pick up.

You can get all that for under $300
Quote by toothless tim

Get an Ibanez or a Squire, just make sure it has a Humbucker pick up.

You can get all that for under $300

Line 6? seriously haha.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
I'd say either an Ibanez or an ESP. If you were to get an ESP get the KH-202. It's a pretty good guitar. I think it's like $490.00
Quote by toothless tim

Not this...

Get a Peavey Vypyr 15 or a Roland Cube 15

I suggest either a ESP such as the Viper and F 50 and V and F 100. The M50 is good too.
Alternatively you can get a Douglas Spad or the Spad Pro from rondomusic.com or a Agile AL-2000.
haters gonna hate. Line 6 is excellent for people starting out on a budget, You will get the most bang for your buck.

Dont listen to the Brand Name elitists
Quote by toothless tim
haters gonna hate. Line 6 is excellent for people starting out on a budget, You will get the most bang for your buck.

I had a spider iv.........it's a pretty old software compared to the newer modelers out there so it doesn't really respond to dynamics well. Granted, it is easy to use. But it sounds worse than the other amps out there.

TS, go pick up a guitar and try playing a chord or two (learn how on the internet). Then you'll know what neck type is the most comfy for you.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Amps: (15/20 or 30 w will suffice)
Vox valvetronix
Roland cube
Peavey vypyr

Guitars- Used ibanez Rg. Try for a hardtail (no whammy bar), as they can be a pain for beginners to tune and setup. If you want a tremolo (whammy bar) get a used rg350/370, great for the price.
Prolly get one for 150-200$ used.
Quote by toothless tim

I just hate the tone they give, i got my 100w valve state head and 4x12 cab for around the same price as the " Decent" line 6 combo.
sunburst fender MIM tele
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Cloudkicker
Jackson DX10D ( also a great guitar, floyd rose though, dont know if you mind)

Definitely don't get a Floyd Rose unless you don't mind getting really annoyed or having a tech do everything for you for the first while, I would wait a while before you get a FR. They are pretty cool (I don't use one a lot but it is cool.) But it can be a pain to learn to tune, change strings, esp. changing gauge, doing pretty much anything.

Try not to spend too much on a guitar unless you are really serious too. All you should need for now is decent humbuckers, and an amp that can get high gain right. Might want to look into the Roland series, it has a pretty decent high gain distortion to most of them.

Also, listen to other types of music as well.
Quote by toothless tim

No. For the same $$ you can get a peavey, roland or vox. All better sounding amps.
Dont listen to the partially deaf. Line 6 makes some great products, but the spyders are not worth the paper the price tag is on. Hell, my line 6 pod x3 still sounds like digital arse.

Most bang for your buck is prolly the roland cube, although the vox vt and vypyrs both have a multitude of models and effects.
Quote by toothless tim

Im not a brand name elitist. I just know from experience that Peavey Vypyrs and Roland cubes sound better. The cube is about the same with variety of tones you can get but the Peavey Vypyr has ton more options and sound better than a spider and they are the same price.

Im not saying they are bad amps, its just that there is better for the money.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 13, 2011,
Vypyrs also seem to spontaneously break alot. I've seen a fair few come through the shop. Never had a cube come back, only one or 2 VT's w/ headphone jack issues.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Vypyrs also seem to spontaneously break alot. I've seen a fair few come through the shop. Never had a cube come back, only one or 2 VT's w/ headphone jack issues.

Vypyr 30 or 15?

/curious

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
30s. Never the 15s. I had one recently create all kinds of crazy feedback unless the guitar was a very certain angle to it. I turned it off and it never made a sound again. (as in died completely, not miracle fix).
Peavey Vypyr 15, Boss Metalcore, ESP LTD EC-50. You should have 75-100$ left over so use that money to buy a Seymour Duncan Invader, or a JB SH-4, or a Gibson Dirty Fingers. Of course this is what I'd get with that budget.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Peavey Vypyr 15, Boss Metalcore, ESP LTD EC-50. You should have 75-100$ left over so use that money to buy a Seymour Duncan Invader, or a JB SH-4, or a Gibson Dirty Fingers. Of course this is what I'd get with that budget.

This is a very good suggestion for a complete rig except the pickup upgrades and the boss pedal. Instead of new pickups and a pedal that you dont need with a vypyr id use the money on a good reliable tuner, guitar stand, extra strings, picks, hard case, strap locks, and a good strap.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Dec 13, 2011,
I must also mention now, thanks^^^....
Do not buy a boss metalcore pedal.

Not to mention upgrading pickups when the vast majority of your tone is coming through a circuit board is pretty useless.

The amps commonly stated above have more then enough gain for most metal. No pedals nessessary.
Guitar suggestions
Kramer Striker 211: fixed bridge H/S/S Super Strat
Kramer Assault 220: TOM bridge H/H LP style
Kramer Pariah: fixed bridge H/H
Kramer Beretta Special: Single humbucker and a Vintage style 6 point tremolo Super Strat

Amps
Fender Mustang I
Roland Cube 20XL
I like the Mustang the best out of all the modeler amps.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Dec 13, 2011,
Honestly anything for $500 and less is going to be pretty crappy / not good / mediocre. I'd buy the cheapest stuff possible at first, see if you actually like playing guitar. Save your money and buy a nice $1k guitar and ~$600 amp when you know you'll be playing for years to come.
i enjoy my jackson kelly, hated my esp ltd m-15. so id say spend about 300 on something half way decent and grab the roland, peavey, or mustang. just watch some reviews on youtube.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
A Vypyr 30 (Mine was great. Amazing when i plugged into a cab. wish i didn't sell it.)
An Ibanez or Agile.

I wish i could've started with something like that, Instead i got some no-name pawn shop guitar and an Ibanez toneblaster amp....
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
Quote by FearMyLightning
LTD M100FM and a Vypyr 15

Though the M100FM's are the best guitars I have ever played for the price they have floyds on them which would be too troublesome for a new player. The HM100 would be good though.
Go to a music store, play every guitar in your price range and then buy the one you like the most. It's key to find a guitar you love playing. I had the worst time learning to play guitar all because I was playing on some cheapo guitar I didn't bother trying before buying. What I'm saying is get something you like playing.

For an amp, get anything with a clean channel and an distortion channel. Something like a Roland Cube. You'll have lots of fun playing with the effects on it, and the tones will be good enough for learning.

Best of luck to you, hope it's everything you expect it to be!
If you decide to get a value pack, I'd go with an epiphone lp-100. You'll outgrow the amp once you get pretty decent but the guitar sounds really good for the price.