Poll: How many space after a period?
Poll Options
View poll results: How many space after a period?
One
229 81%
Two
53 19%
Other
1 0%
I usually don't use punctuation
1 0%
Voters: 284.
Page 1 of 4
Question for the Pit:

When you are typing on the computer, how many spaces do you put after a period before you start a new sentence? I know the proper way to do it is two spaces (which I learned in high school keyboarding) but since I've regressed back to using one period.

Poll coming
R.I.P. Jeb
07/31/08

FREEZER BURN s YELLOWFRIZBEE
I use one.

I think they tried to teach us that it was two way back in like... fourth grade. But it never stuck.
One, why would I do more than necessary?
We never learned that 2 is better.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

One space. Two spaces is too wide and it makes the sentences look weird and it requires more effort.
cat
Quote by Trowzaa

Yet another failing of the substandard UK education system.
Check out my band Disturbed
I've read that the two spaces rule dates back to typewriters, because they couldn't space properly or something. Seems kind of stupid to apply it to modern computers.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by StewieSwan
Yet another failing of the substandard UK education system.

Because an extra space is the most pressing matter right now

Quote by Trowzaa
Because an extra space is the most pressing matter right now

See, this is what separates the USA from third-world nations like yours.
Quote by StewieSwan
See, this is what separates the USA from third-world nations like yours.

Everybody knows that it should be four spaces anyway. The US is just worlds apart when it comes to formalities such as these.

edit: Fuck you UG, I did 4 spaces there.

two spaces of course. though it bothers me that in the forums here on UG, even if you type two spaces or more, it only displays one. try it yourself or quote my post.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Two. I do it reflexively after periods and colons, so I do it both in formal and informal speech.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I use only one. That said, two looks better.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
One when I'm posting on forums and such, two when I'm typing up essays, reports, etc.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I always put one space after a period.Otherwise,my phrases start to look bunched up,a little bit like this.It gets annoying.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
I always use two. Whatever brainwashing they did to me won't allow me to use one.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
I've literally never heard of using 2 spaces before.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
2. 1 only if I'm under a character limit or text messaging.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Trowzaa

This.
I've honestly never heard of 2. I've been writing essays and research papers for years. I figure a professor or teacher would be upset at the spacing because that extra space could push a paragraph to the next page, giving the reader the illusion of a full page.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I've never heard of anybody using two. It weren't taught that way round these parts. It doesn't look right to me. I'm sure I've probably read hundreds of books and articles etc with two spaces after a period and not noticed, but now that I'm looking out for it it looks weird.
I have always used two spaces at the beginning of a new sentence. One of my greatest annoyances is poor grammar, and seeing one space at the beginning of a sentence seriously bothers me. Facebook truncates two down to one, and quite honestly that pisses me off.
I do one if I'm on UG or something. Two if it's a paper for class.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by CV334
I have always used two spaces at the beginning of a new sentence. One of my greatest annoyances is poor grammar, and seeing one space at the beginning of a sentence seriously bothers me. Facebook truncates two down to one, and quite honestly that pisses me off.

So does UG but that doesn't seem to bother you.
Besides, doing only one space instead of two is nothing on the scale of the whole "your/you're" and "there/they're/their" errors.

I've never heard of using two spaces before. I always use just one, hell, sometimes if I type to fast I may even forget to leave a space.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I do one, but since you've reminded me that you're supposed to used two i'm definitely going to use it on papers and see if it makes the paper any longer.

But I always thought two spaces was dumb. It basically looks the same. For real.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Ugly typer.

Don't make me school your ass in this thread, too.

Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm sorry you apparently still have to write on a typewriter.

I'm sorry the English language is beyond you.
Quote by StewieSwan
Don't make me school your ass in this thread, too.

I'm sorry the English language is beyond you.

BRING IT ON, MUTTON CHOP!
ive always used two. :/
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Page 1 of 4