My first tube! COmbo or hald stack?

I have observed some of the jet city´s full tube amps, they´re on my budget what do u think of them i am 90% sure of buyin one of them ....... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...a12s-half-stack .. or ..http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...583601000702000 this one is a combo version

the combo version has tube driven spring reverb, the half stack doesn´t have it(but it looks nicer in apareeance)...i have that dilemma now between function(ugly combo with spring reverb) or form(nice half stack without spring reverb) .but they also say that the heads have better tone and less stress in the tubes, no microphony etc...?? .... i need to know if a head has enough pros so i can ignore the lack of tube driven spring reverb the combo has
Last edited by richjguitar at Dec 13, 2011,
i am considering buying a half stack (head and cab) or a combo look at the links thanks dor ur opinion!
Sometimes it's good to invest in a good cab early.
That way future amps will be cheaper since you only need to buy the head.

Also if you gig, you usually only have to bring the head since venues will have guitar cabs a lot of the time.

I would get the head, a reverb pedal, and a 1x12 avatar with a celestion V30 speaker, you can usaully find this stuff used to save money also.
with a reverb pedal i could only use the clean channel?? is right? since the amp doesnt have a effects loop?
Which amp? Those links are dead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can get that head with an FX loop now. Costs an extra $100 I think. That'd be the way to go if you can afford it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I recently bought a Vox Night Train 15W. I'm not here to recommend it but I'll list my experiences.

Good points - the bright mode. Sparkly clean sounds, very very pleasing to the ear. As the gain is turned up, it gets nice and rough too.

- simple to use (this is a plus point after my modelling amp)

- master volume so you can turn it down fairly low. It does lose something on the lower volumes though.

- 7.5W \ 15W switch. useful.

Bad points - no FX loop

General points - head and cab.

- fat mode (opposite to bright) has more gain, fun but the bright mode is gorgeous

- won't do very high gain

I very much like mine, it's worth considering.

Cheers

AshUK
Quote by AshersUK
Bad points - no FX loop

effects loops are overrated.

a lot of people believe that if you aren't using a load of rack gear, it's pointless.

my amp has 2 effects loops, and i just pop everything in up front.

it works great.

TS - solid choices with jet city imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks everybody for ur recommendations but this takes me to the original question go for a combo with tube driven spring reverb or the gorgeous lookin half stack w/o tube driven spring reverb? pros and conS??
Quote by richjguitar
Thanks everybody for ur recommendations but this takes me to the original question go for a combo with tube driven spring reverb or the gorgeous lookin half stack w/o tube driven spring reverb? pros and conS??

when you play out, you probably don't need reverb. that's what the room is for.
Gary Moore ran a Quadraverb out front of his JTM45 and achieved what could only be called perfect tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Gary Moore ran a Quadraverb out front of his JTM45 and achieved what could only be called perfect tone.

and he sold one of the most iconic 59 les pauls in history.

your point is invalid.