Well, I got my first interface. Now what? Save for some monitors, a MIDI keyboard?
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Monitors. Your mixes will improve greatly with a decent pair. MIDI can be programmed just fine without a keyboard, learn to do it manually and you'll appreciate the keyboard more when you get it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Monitors. Your mixes will improve greatly with a decent pair. MIDI can be programmed just fine without a keyboard, learn to do it manually and you'll appreciate the keyboard more when you get it.

Definitely, so what monitors can you suggest? I'm on a tight budget, not looking for the worlds most professional sound. Just something that is portable and good for demos and maybe a little bit more.
I've been eyeing these for ages: http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?prodname=Edirol-MA-7A--Pair-&module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=169362&storepid=25
They're actually $139 in store.

My friends also want to do some podcasts, so, with ONE microphone what could I use to record a conversation of three-four people?
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Quote by Rubixcuba
Definitely, so what monitors can you suggest? I'm on a tight budget, not looking for the worlds most professional sound. Just something that is portable and good for demos and maybe a little bit more.
I've been eyeing these for ages: http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?prodname=Edirol-MA-7A--Pair-&module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=169362&storepid=25
They're actually $139 in store.

My friends also want to do some podcasts, so, with ONE microphone what could I use to record a conversation of three-four people?

I haven't tried those monitors, but with only a 3" speaker, I can't imagine them being any better than a pair of Logitech desktop speakers.

Look for a pair of used KRK Rokit 5 G2s (or 6 or 8s if you find them cheap or can swing the extra cash). They're usually around $200 for a pair, and that's really the cheapest I would go on a set of monitors. Unless you get a really good deal on something else, everything cheaper than that are basically just glorified computer speakers and you'd be better off mixing on a good set of headphones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I haven't tried those monitors, but with only a 3" speaker, I can't imagine them being any better than a pair of Logitech desktop speakers.

Look for a pair of used KRK Rokit 5 G2s (or 6 or 8s if you find them cheap or can swing the extra cash). They're usually around $200 for a pair, and that's really the cheapest I would go on a set of monitors. Unless you get a really good deal on something else, everything cheaper than that are basically just glorified computer speakers and you'd be better off mixing on a good set of headphones.

The KRK's go for about $400 (Australian) for that set which is definitely out of my price range, seems like another option could be: http://www.kosmic.com.au/Hi%20Tech/BEHRINGER/5952?Behringer-Ms-20-Active-Near-Field-Stereo-Monitor-(Pair)

However, I could probably get a deal done at my local shop, so I'll post any updates with that.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Last edited by Rubixcuba at Dec 14, 2011,
Quote by Rubixcuba
The KRK's go for about $400 (Australian) for that set which is definitely out of my price range, seems like another option could be: http://www.kosmic.com.au/Hi%20Tech/BEHRINGER/5952?Behringer-Ms-20-Active-Near-Field-Stereo-Monitor-(Pair)

However, I could probably get a deal done at my local shop, so I'll post any updates with that.

$400 used? I missed that you were in Australia, you guys get screwed on prices

Those Behringers only have a 3-5/8" speaker in them, which is still tiny. You're going to want at least a 5 inch speaker to somewhat accurately reproduce the sound. I don't care what anyone says, a speaker that small is going to be a waste of money for mixing. Not only is it going to sound tiny, your monitors are going to be severely lacking in bass.

I'd say at the price range you're looking at, unless you find a used pair of KRKs, Yamaha HS50Ms, or possibly some Behringer Truths, then your best bet would probably be some nice headphones and just use whatever computer speakers you have for referencing your mixes afterwards. These are in your price range and are the best I've found under $400 (USD - They are ~$110 here):

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?prodname=Audio-Technica-M50-Premium-Studio-Headphones&module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=203931&storepid=5
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Last edited by Rubixcuba at Dec 18, 2011,
I wonder, since when does Cakewalk make monitors? Or more to the point, who makes monitors for Cakewalk? Anyways, they're 4" drivers. I wouldn't trust 'em.

M-Audio's name speaks for itself. The fact that this particular product is established well enough that it is still available from when *I* was shopping for monitors almost ten years ago, I think is also telling.

I seem to recall listening to the M-Audio monitors, the Behringer Truth series, and the Yorkville YSM1 monitors when I bought my Yorkvilles.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Check these out:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX8D2

The BX5's aren't bad either but you may need to get a sub with them. ^^^ About the Truth series... there have been a lot of complaints about stability issues because there are numerous reports of them crapping out on people.

Story about M-Audio's monitors: M-Audio used to make high-end monitors. However, they couldn't keep up with all the competition so they ended that line. But since they had all that advanced monitoring technology, they decided to put it to use in their low-end monitors. The BX D2 line are the result of that technology so you are getting some pretty good monitors if you choose them. They are about twice as good compared to other monitors that sell at that point (of course that's always subject to opinion).

Just so you don't think I'm biased, I use KRK RP6 G2's with a KRK 10S sub and enjoy them very much!

The MPK mini is a great investment. I actually use it more than my MPK49 thanks to its portability and great sensitivity with the pads.
your listening environment is critical. good monitors and room treatment, always
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
*Update

So, my budget has been raised substantially. Let's say around $400, for Australian this could get me,
1. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-KRK-ROKIT-5-G2-Powered-Monitor-Studio-Speaker-5-Inch-5-RP5G2-RP-Pair-/390370799570?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item5ae3e9afd2 - They seem good but I've heard about there being too much bass, really dislike the design, much bigger fan of the "boxed" shaped ones.
2. http://musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?prodname=Yamaha-HS50-Powered-Monitors--Pair--HS50M---Hot-Deal-&module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=192214&storepid=2 - Possibly used instead for these, seem good.
3. http://www.sounddevices.com.au/products/1398Fostex%20PM0.5%20MKII/
Cheapest option is:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170717455198?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_2209wt_1163 - I really like the white on these ones but they are only four inch, still, my room isn't that large and they seem decent for starters.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Last edited by Rubixcuba at Jan 20, 2012,
They'd just be too big for my room, I need something a bit smaller.
Has anyone tried out the ones I've posted?
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
The KRKs are good for the price.

A lot of people are iffy on the HS-50s, I'd try them out first if you can. I've heard some great reviews and some really bad ones, so it's up to you
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
These are all 4-5" drivers. I'd be a little reluctant on any of them. Can you find anything in your price range with 6" drivers?

My Yorkvilles have 6.5" drivers, and even they are rated only down to about 45hz.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

There isn't anything in my range with 6" drivers, unless I wanted some Behringer's that were about 8". Remember, it's just meant to be a small hobby studio that can also be portable if need be.

*Edit - Third link seems broken, they're are Fostex PM0.5 MKII for $399 AU.
**I found some monitors that are 6" http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BEHRINGER-B2030A-STUDIO-REFERENCE-MONITORS-PAIR-/170754522540?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item27c1c33dac#ht_713wt_905
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Last edited by Rubixcuba at Jan 21, 2012,
There's a passive version of the Behringer monitors above, but for much less.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Behringer-TRUTH-B2030P-Studio-Monitors-pair-/180800772866?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item2a1890db02#ht_500wt_986
Thoughts? Is there any advantage to a passive monitor?
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
I have my monitors setup in my bedroom and it works just fine. They are active, so I'm not sure about the advantages/disadvantages of passive vs active. But like everyone said you do want something with atleast 6" speaker. You should also comapre the frequency range of the speaker as well. If you can find something good used then go for it. But if you have to wait a little bit to save some more money it will be worth it. That's better than going ahead and getting something now that's not as good. It's a long term investment (musically speaking) and you want to make sure you have something that's going to serve you well for awhile.
Active monitors: the power amp section is manufactured with the exact speaker in mind, and you don't need a power amp of any sort adding more clutter to your desk or wherever.

Passive monitors: same speaker, same enclosure, less costly.

My monitors are passive, as I could not afford the active ones. I got a stereo receiver that I use to power them from a friend for, I think, ten bucks. They're a dime a dozen on craigslist, kijiji, etc., and even garage sales, etc. It's not great, but it works just fine. Maybe I don't appreciate the difference a great power amp will make (and are the power amps inside active monitors great or merely functional... idunno....), but I don't feel like the power amp is having a negative impact on my ability to work.

CT

What you really need is a new amp....

Wait, wrong forum. Anyways, KRKs though those Yorkvilles kinda peaked my interest. Gonna have to look into them. Though the only place in my area that has em is the shithead music shop that won't even talk to you unless you have a $100 bill sticking out of your shirt.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I love 'em. The on-line reviews of them are pretty well universally very very positive. When I bought mine, they were about $300 or $350/ea. Not cheap, but cheaper than the Tannoys that they gave a solid run for the money (at literally more than twice the price), and better than the Truths, M-Audio, and something else I looked at and listened to.

Their customer support is fantastic too. The surround on one of my monitors was cracked (the rubbery part that the cone flexes back and forth in) due to being in a humid basement for the first couple years we were here. They billed me for it, of course, as the monitors were at least five years old, but they were really helpful and really willing to look after me.

I had a Yorkville amp (same company that makes Traynor, btw) a while back, and they had the best warranty I have ever seen. The first year or two was an unconditional and unlimited warranty. Even if I dropped it off a train bridge on purpose and had it run over by a train, they would replace it. I never had to pursue a warranty claim. I still have the cabinet and it's probably almost 25 years old now (purchased in '87-ish?). I blew a couple speakers once, but that was my fault. The handle is buggered on it. A cheap fix that I haven't been bothered to take care of. The amp itself was bullet-proof.

I had emailed the company about the amp, once though (can't remember what it was about), but what I do remember is that, again, their customer support was fantastic.

CT