what's the difference if its higher or lower? or towards the side or the middle? do i get more reach or something..
Depends on your perferences. Some people perfer to have a "Classical" position and have their thumb on that back of the neck all the time. Some people perfer the "Hendrix" style with the thumb being over the fretboard and in some cases an extra digit to use.

Just try them all and see what you like!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Its all about the technique you are wanting to use. For playing faster and working through solos I keep my thumb behind the neck usually. Then when I play chords my thumb comes over the top. Sometimes its to help with the chord sound, like Hendrix. when I keep my thumb behind I find it to be most comfortable.
Generally depends on what you are playing and where you are playing it.

your thumb should be behind the neck in most situations.
Quote by luxeion
useful read, thanks.

Out of curiosity.. how is your picking doing :P ?
did you decide to anchor or not ?

As a general rule, the thumb goes behind the middle finger and remains perpendicular to the neck, it is ok(and actually a good idea) to "hang" it on the neck for heavy bends and vibrato and you can get away with it on some chords.. but other than that try to keep it behind the neck. It will make you a waaaayy better player in the short and long run
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by Slashiepie
Out of curiosity.. how is your picking doing :P ?
did you decide to anchor or not ?

As a general rule, the thumb goes behind the middle finger and remains perpendicular to the neck, it is ok(and actually a good idea) to "hang" it on the neck for heavy bends and vibrato and you can get away with it on some chords.. but other than that try to keep it behind the neck. It will make you a waaaayy better player in the short and long run
unanchored, i like the movement, n my comfortabilty increased.

i got a used to thumb a bit higher, ..i put it lower it feels a bit akward but the flexibility increased so i guess i'll have to train on that.. haha

thanks for all the replies, very helpful forum community. .