Hi guys and girls, I'm not very good with amps so I'd like to ask what could be a silly or void question.

I've got a Laney VC30-112. I like it, but it needs a bit more beef. I've got the right tone I want but that shape drowns under the sound of drums and bass at gigs.

I'm playing a Fender Telecaster '72 Custom on with an effects chain that includes a BOSS OD-3, MD-2 and MT-2 for different dynamics. I'm going for a Biffy Clyro, Foo Fighters, dynamic sound. I run the amp on clean, with stock insides. I tend to stick the the single-coil bridge PU.

My question: is getting a Laney GS210 a stupid idea? I ask because the a larger 12 inch speaker will be sitting on top of two spikier sounding 10 inch speakers. Will the position of the speakers cancel each other out and create a mess of noise, or will it get me exactly what I'm looking for?

I'm struggling to find somewhere to test my theory without actually buying the thing, so any feedback anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
It wont cause any problems (and as far as I'm aware the extra cab will disengage the stock 12 anyway...) and it should add some girth, but you're much better off saving your money and replacing the rather poor stock speaker and valves first and maybe buying an EQ pedal for the loop. This is what I'm gonna do soon, JJ's and maybe a celestion classic lead 80.

Also it's probably not helped by using a bridge single coil pup, that's always gonna be thin (EDIT: Sorry it's a tele not a strat, perhaps not, I'm used to a rather weak bridge pup) And have you tried boosting the OD channel with a good OD/distortion rather than running everything through the clean?

Also, when you say the "shape drowns" at gig volumes, do you mean your struggling for volume? Or you're not getting your bedroom tone? Because it's always gonna sound different at gig levels, you need to adjust and fill only your frequency range. But if you've not got the volume (which I doubt) then you simply need more power.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Dec 14, 2011,
Hey thanks for the advice!

I wasn't aware the extra cab would disengage the speaker in the combo amp. I should replace the stock speaker/valves but I'd have to get advice and search around first, I don't have the slightest clue about them.

When you say an EQ in the loop, would it work going via the input with the rest of my effects, or would I be better using the loop on the amp itself? The pedals have a fair amount of EQ tweaking, the MT-2 especially.

I'm pretty happy with the OD sounds from the effects, it's just the MT-2 when the band gets louder when the cymbals and bassist's DS-1 come in. I've tried running it through the OD channel but it sounds muddy (as you've pointed out this could probably be fixed by replacing the stock internals).

I guess when I say the shape drowns I'm contradicting my original statement that I've got the sound I want. On its own (at gig volume) it sounds good. It just gets drowned out during the chorus, yet it's loud in the wrong place (so I probably do need to boost the EQ).

Thanks again.
I'd be surprised if the extra cab didn't disengage the 112, but don't quote me on that.

A valve swap is a simple job, I've not got much experience, but there's hundreds of guys on here who know exactly what to do, JJ are always a good place to start, well priced, good quality and tame some of the laney's brightness. Again, the speaker should be an easy job on paper, there's loads of options, you'll want something less brittle than the stock 70/80.

I think you could put the EQ in front....but you're better off with it in the loop. Quite possibly what you're looking for in the chorus is a mid boost, I can't imagine the boss pedals do much good for boosting your mids, a Tubescreamer type pedal may be good, possibly even a boost, just to give you that bit more volume/presence when you need it.

Another possibility is that the DS-1 on the bass is adding too much treble and he's getting caught in your frequency range and causing the problem you describe. When I play distorted bass, I'm always careful not to let it get too bright, or at least make sure I'm playing something quite different from the guitars because that can cause mud problems, especially considering one of our guitars is very bass heavy.

Hope this helps!
Quote by madnessJack
Hey thanks for the advice!

I wasn't aware the extra cab would disengage the speaker in the combo amp. I should replace the stock speaker/valves but I'd have to get advice and search around first, I don't have the slightest clue about them.

When you say an EQ in the loop, would it work going via the input with the rest of my effects, or would I be better using the loop on the amp itself? The pedals have a fair amount of EQ tweaking, the MT-2 especially.

I'm pretty happy with the OD sounds from the effects, it's just the MT-2 when the band gets louder when the cymbals and bassist's DS-1 come in. I've tried running it through the OD channel but it sounds muddy (as you've pointed out this could probably be fixed by replacing the stock internals).

I guess when I say the shape drowns I'm contradicting my original statement that I've got the sound I want. On its own (at gig volume) it sounds good. It just gets drowned out during the chorus, yet it's loud in the wrong place (so I probably do need to boost the EQ).

Thanks again.

That is your problem. The MT-2 is a very shrill and slightly scooped sounding pedal.

Lower the mid freq knob and boost the mids, and cut treble on it.
just to tag on here

I think a 212 or 412 ext cab would def help

If you want more beef I'd stay away from 10"rs

New tubes are a great idea like ProgFolk said. JJs +1

EQ would go in the FX loop. Can't go wrong really with an EQ pedal they boost too.

A tubescreamer type OD will pawn that MT-2...... so +2 there

Or get a Vintage 30 clone and replace the speaker you have now
Cheers for all your feedback guys, really helps to have insightful opinions!

I'll probably get a BOSS GE-7, get a new speaker and tubes (play around on the amp OD) and turn up the low mids on the MT-2. I tried a Tubescreamer once but it didn't have the same over-the-top distortion gain noise I got from the MT-2.

I may get an extension cab but from the impression I'm getting I think I might just need to focus on my tone.
The VC30 is a good idea. The subpar cab isnt.

Maybe a nice cab, like an orange, higher end laney cab, lopoline.

But for now a speaker swap should be a good improvement.

Eminence wizard/governor, celestion g12h30 blabla, something. Not the v30 though. It has the same problem of sounding brittle with the vc30 that the 70/80 does because of the upper mid spike.
^ that's what i'd have thought
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?