Guitar amps' sound nowadays is being differentiated into two categories: modern and vintage. What was the point when that change occured, when a newer sound emerged putting everything that's before it into a vintage category? What were the first amplifiers that brought the "modern" sound?

Second, I feel the difference between vintage and modern sound, but what are those characteristic specifically that make sound "modern" or "vintage" in an amp?

By the way, I am asking this out of curiosity, just to understand more about those things.
Last edited by andriusd at Dec 14, 2011,
1.) It was a gradual shift
2.) Lots of people will credit Randall Smith of Mesa Boogie for helping to define and push the 'modern' tone in lots of his amps.
3.) Modern will sound smoother, have more low end and be articulate - although that last item isn't really a characteristic of modern only.

That is just my quick take. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation.

good thread idea actually

v.... personally, I think Eddie helped define characteristics of modern guitar playing but his tone was still pretty vintage sounding to me up until maybe Diver Down or 1984. I thought this was about maps?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 14, 2011,
I like to drawn the line somewhere along the late 70's, namely to Eddie Van Halen, along with Van Halen's first album in 1978.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
nineteen eighty... three?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I agree with the^ unforgiven, mid to late 70s but then there is" Bonamssa"
Quote by AcousticMirror
when the high gain cascade preamp was invented.

I'm no tech so I don't completely understand this, but this was always my assumption. To me modern versus vintage is preamp versus poweramp distortion.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd have to go with Van Halen 1 and the 5150.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

That's what I was thinking. The 5150 seems like it would have been a big part in the "modern" sound considering its predecessor is recommended in at least two threads daily on here for modern metal. Mesa makes sense as a factor as well. I mean, how many Mesas are there that can easily cover anything considered "modern"?
what i wanna know is how much of the 'divide' between vintage and modern tones is related to the changes in recording technology.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Cathbard

no.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Am I wrong in thinking that Joe Bonamsa is old School
please have a look on youtub the 70s are back!!!!!!!
Last edited by duncers at Dec 14, 2011,
Van Halen

Arguably Tony Iommi

/thread
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Blktiger0
Mesa makes sense as a factor as well. I mean, how many Mesas are there that can easily cover anything considered "modern"?

Do you mean that there are not much such Mesas or the opposite of that?