Hey Guys, I've been spending a lot of time recently trying to recreate the wailing tone of a humbucking guitar on my beloved single coil stratocaster. Half the battle was getting the level of gain and sustain with the lower output sc's, but after noodling with effects and the eq I believe I am satisfyingly close to the tone i was looking for. I also found I had to modify my approach with pick attack and vibrato.

Below is a quick example, featuring Gary Moore's Parisienne Walkways. It's not accurate and mostly improvised, as the main purpose was to demonstrate tone. Apologies for the quality, and i blocked out my face (Incase there's any children watching hehe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO3dzrlFZ9M
Thanks for the update. I did it myself, in a very simple way: I used only a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, between the guitar and the amp, and the Pickup Booster "turned" the neck pickup into a very creamy humbucker. Nice solo, btw, your pick attack and string tremolo are excellent.
nice job, but i think this sort of thread belongs in riffs & recordings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Thanks for the reply, also interesting to hear your different approach towards achieving your tone. My issue, was that i wanted the warmth and sustain of a humbucker, while retaining the character and uncompressed responsiveness of a single coil pickup. thanks again for the reply and kind words