I have an Epiphone Les Paul that means a lot to me. But lets be real. Its not the best player. I want to mod the S**T out of this thing. I mean everything.

I want to 50's wire it with a good kit.

I want to take the finish off the back of the neck.

I dont necesarily want to change pickups. I have a lot of expereience with them and im not too disatisfied with the epis.

I want to change the headstock to a Gibson type head (NOTE: Im not going to put "Gibson" on it and try to sell it. I simply like the look more. I even will leave "Epiphone" on there XD)

Any other suggestions? Im a sucker for weird and crazy ideas. So if you have something you want to recomend, DO IT!

Im looking for people who have done these things and can reccomend/guide me through these steps!

Thanks!!

Seth

PS ive already beat the hell out of this guitar so nothing can really hurt it in my mind.
98' Peavey Wolfgang Special USA "Pat Pend"
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender Stickered Pinecaster Tele
Kramer 5150 Replica-GFS VEH
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
+1 on building a new neck. Also think about putting some new hardware on there. It could probably use it.
You should get a template off the internet somewhere, With that you cut the neck out close but not excatly to a Gibson. Only the Gibson tall tellers will be able to tell the difference really at the Headstock shape. Then you can route out binding for the headstock to add flair!

You could buy a New Fretboard or make one and then remove the current one following the guide on projectguitar.com. With that you now have the inlays everyone above is posting about! I would recommend trying to make a new Les Paul out of scratch, really fun! But if you don't feel comfortable yet with that, use your Epiphone.

Good luck, happy modding!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Thanks for the replys! Ill definitely check out the new neck thing. Any other customizing ideas? Like where to get close to gibson products?
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
have you seen the new Epi Les Paul Ultra?, try build that
but serious, i always like to make the wiring far more complicated with phasing switches, coil splitting etc. Or these new humbucker ring tuners, they are also quite nice i guess
If you do decide to change pickups I have a pretty crazy idea, a gold lace in the neck and a pearly gates in the bridge, it'd be an sh guitar.
What color is it? I had a Gothic epi les that I absolutely loved and modded the hell out of. It was flat black,like all Gothics, and I made y own diamond plate pickguard for it. It looked great! Just get a 1'×1' piece of real diamond plate from a hardware store and use your old pick guard as a template. Then sawsall it out and use a grinder to finish it up. It looked really good. I also had a Gothic explorer that did the same thing to so the two guitar matched. With the les Paul, I put in two seymoure duncan invader pickups and it sounded so good! And I had a dimebucker in the explorer.
Last edited by Maximo33 at Dec 19, 2011,
If the neck is set neck like some Epis are, I wouldn't make a new neck for it. Re-setting the neck and removing the old one just wouldn't be worth the time or effort. If its a bolt on, then sure, why not.
Quote by da_
If the neck is set neck like some Epis are, I wouldn't make a new neck for it. Re-setting the neck and removing the old one just wouldn't be worth the time or effort. If its a bolt on, then sure, why not.

this, very important this
Its a Honey burst finish. I woiuld love to change the neck but unfortunately it is a set neck Im thinking about decals. And yes i would love to get a tremelo system! They just seem too darn expensive when i have my ibanez that i can whammy with. Plus io want to keep this true to the "Les Paul Way" and no trem. My main priority right now is switching out the wires and pots.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Don't try to do the neck. Besides, in my experiences epiphones have pretty decent necks. Headstock reshape and binding is a cool idea. And a Jimmy Page wiring mod is always fun, a bit silly, but fun. Although you'd really need four wire humbuckers to do it. I've got a guitar with that wiring and it's fun, but kind of impractical.
Don't build a new neck. If you add two wooden inserts to the corners, fill, and sand them flush, you can fill an epiphone headstock out to look like a Gibson one. There aren't any real tutorials, but if you google hard, there's at least one old thread on an instrument forum that has a few in-progress pictures of the process.
I've also seen the idea of cutting back the Epiphone headstock, rather than adding to it, but I think it makes the headstock too short.
Quote by cip 123
crazy ideas? mmmm.. monkey grip.

Bahahaha genius.
Epiphone Les Paul ULTRA
Vintage V100
Fender DG41S NAT
Dean Acoustic
Peavey JSX 212
Line 6 Spider IV 150 212

EVH 5150 BUILD!
Quote by dustinp
pulling the neck isn't much effort at all. They're all set with hide glue, and quickly come unglued with heat. The biggest pain you'd run into building a neck is keeping the scale length accurate. 24.75" from nut to bridge saddles.

They're not set with hide glue, though. It's Titebond (ie, run-of-the-mill wood glue) or epoxy (I'm fairly certain it's titebond). Titebond isn't easily affected by heat and epoxy is basically impervious to everything save for certain solvents (acetone, I think, being one of them).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.