you guys wont believe this. about 2 months ago my friend got an rg550 at a yard sale for TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS. it's black, maple neck, dot inlays. i think its one of the good japan ones, late 80s early 90s.

he doesnt even play. i doubt he's going to become really interested in playing, he just plays PS3 all day. and his parents are kinda broke so he wouldn't be able to take lessons. basically, i think it will become a big ol dusty paperweight in his house. i'm planning to offer like 50-60 bucks for it.
it needs a little work though. tone knob is broken, missing locking nut, needs a setup, and could definitely use a new bridge pup because its all stock right now.

if i do get this amazing deal, what bridge pup should i put in it?
i'll be playing in C stan. like 90% of what i play is Black Dahlia Murder.
i was thinking a duncan sh 5 custom would be good for stuff like this
(because kempainen used one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ormy0acqw&feature=related

but im also starting to learn tapping stuff like ryan knight does (new tbdm guitarist). my guitar teacher told me dimarzio tone zones are good for stuff like tapping/shredding. but if i got a tone zone would it be a big sacrifice of heavy riffing and great distortion/palm mutes?

if this sounds noobish, its because i am. this would be only my 2nd "real" guitar, and i don't know a lot about pickups/tone, never changed pups. i know the wood the guitar is made of is a big factor, but i dont know what pups go with what wood, etc...

suggestions/advice?
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Tone zone will not get the crunch you desire.
I suggest a bkp aftermath or painkiller.

cant afford over $100
is there anything that will give me those powerful palm mutes and good crunch but at least a decent tone for soloing/shredding?
You could slap an X2N in the bridge right now to get you the crunch and drive you want for the low chords, and then down the road you can get a Tone zones in the neck to give you the tapping and warmer tone.

My rhythm guitarist uses that combo in his ibanez and it's a pretty deadly combo for anything metal both pickups also handle split coil very well and you get a pretty unique sound.

The combo is for pretty serious metal though so if your planning on playing some of the older styles (led zepplin, Santana, AcDc) then the pups won't be able to really shine.
Quote by deathmetalkid13
cant afford over $100
is there anything that will give me those powerful palm mutes and good crunch but at least a decent tone for soloing/shredding?

Depends what amp you plug it into.

There's not really too much point worrying about pickups until you have the guitar, then YOU can make a decision on what YOU think is lacking in the sound and how YOU would like it to change.

People can give you their own opinions and experiences, but until you've got your own frame of reference to compare them with they're not an awful lot of use to you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
25 dollars for an rg550??? WOW
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Quote by steven seagull
Depends what amp you plug it into.

There's not really too much point worrying about pickups until you have the guitar, then YOU can make a decision on what YOU think is lacking in the sound and how YOU would like it to change.

People can give you their own opinions and experiences, but until you've got your own frame of reference to compare them with they're not an awful lot of use to you.

as of NOW, i'm using a peavey studiopro 112. but in the summer im getting a new amp, i was thinking a 6505 combo (deciding on a new amp- whole different journey, i'll think about that later) but if you have any suggestions on amps (under $800) id appreciate it.
Quote by terribleguitar
25 dollars for an rg550??? WOW

i know, right? that guy either didn't know what he had, or just didn't care. sucks for him lol