hey

yet another weird problem with my laney VC30:

i put some new tubes in it today, and noticed as soon as i switched it on, one of the power tubes, in the same socket that had a problematic tube a few weeks ago, started to glow very bright yellow around the area just below where the pins are connected to the socket. the amp worked fine and sounded fine, but something about the way it was shining almost like a lightbulb for a few seconds didn't seem right.

the tubes are JJ EL84s, a whole new set, and it just seems odd that the same socket that the last tube died in would cause a brand new tube to flash like that as soon as it was switched on for the first time with the new tubes.

any ideas what the cause of this could be and whether it's anything to worry about?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
you mean bright underneath the socket?

i'm no EE but that may be a pin that is arc'ing. Had it with teh Valveking but that was preamp. Maybe the socket needs to be replaced or a screen grid resistor. Someone smart will see this Blomp and help.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
you mean bright underneath the socket?

yep, but only for about 2 seconds as soon as the amp is switched on. it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the amp, but the last tube that was in that socket didn't last very long.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't think I'd turn it on again. That doesn't sound good. Can you see inside the chassis at all and look for scarring? **

** could be dangerous, don't touch anything.

i can probably take it apart tomorrow to have a look.

Beneath the socket? Look for wayward wires causing arcing. If all that is kosher I'd replace the socket itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Beneath the socket? Look for wayward wires causing arcing. If all that is kosher I'd replace the socket itself.

well the glow occurs inside the valve, but at the top near where it is connected to the socket (from my perspective when the valves are connected to the amp the pin-end points upwards)

sorry about that, i tried so hard to give as many details as possible that i forgot to mention the glow was inside the tube

sorry to bump this thread but it's been left at a bit of a cliffhanger - is it safe for me to switch on my amp or not?