Page 1 of 2
I see this "expression" very often, I hear it from people very often. But why do people actually say that? Having played 1 easy jazz song, for example, doesn't make you able to say "I play jazz", doesn't it?

And also, what's with the basic progression:

(usually some soft genre)
everything else
Metal

Why can't it for once be something like:

I play everything from metal to (insert genre here)

If metal is at the very end because of its' "brootalz", then why isn't "ambient" or "new age" the very 1st?
Because people who refer to their range of music as "From [genre] to metal" are aware that they don't listen to such a wide variety of music, and try to compensate for that by making it seem like a huge range between two antipoles.
I listen to everything from classical music to metal seems to be the classic. Some awesome metalhead with 99 metal artists and Beethoven's fifth on his ipod.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
It's because people who play metal don't think things through before they speak. Or during they speak. Or afterwards.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm guilty of using this expression. But I actually do say ambient at the beginning.
🙈 🙉 🙊
I don't care about these little things. I just say I learned these songs.

I don't really talk about my guitar playing anymore mainly because there's not many people to talk about it with or because I have to be careful of what I say or people like Zeletros will make a thread about me.
Quote by entity0009
I'm guilty of using this expression. But I actually do say ambient at the beginning.

My new favourite genre.
It means: "Oh look at me I'm so open minded I can play the entire discography of Slayer and 3 token Jazz gimmicks."
I play everything from women to chumps.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by entity0009
Electronic-based or guitar based ambient?

If the former, check out Gas. If the latter, try Cerulean Crayons

Both to be honest. I'm listening to loads of Budd and Eno stuff and some ambient/popish stuff. Youth Lagoon, Grouper etc.

I usually prefer the ambient music with a steady flow or rhythm, otherwise I can't relax when I try to sleep etc. Music For Airports for example by Eno is far too irregular when it comes to the rhythms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2tAtX514-A

This is my favourite, might not be pure ambient music but it's still the type of music I found myself listen through all the time nowadays.

Listening to that first link Gas. It's nice.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 14, 2011,
Quote by entity0009

This.

I love Sunn O))) and stuff, just dig the atmosphere, but I also love intence brutal death metal and whatnot, doesn't really matter what you say first, but I too listen to classical a fair bit, and more than like 3 songs.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
but I too listen to classical a fair bit, and more than like 3 songs.

But not enough to know that classical music aren't generally songs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kensai
It's because people who play metal don't think things through before they speak. Or during they speak. Or afterwards.

I like how "metalheads" are being stereotyped as being dumb and narrow minded, with a dumb, narrow minded comment, Also great grammerz!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, SG special, Ibanez artcore series, Eastwood ultra gp, schecter acoustic and a squire strat.

shame im shit.
I just say I play what I want to play.
And I will listen to anything. Doesn't mean I do, but I will if it's put in front of me.
I think I have used this expression before, probably because I couldn't be bothered to list all the genres that I do play or rather did play. It doesn't really make much sense because I see genres as seperate entities rather than a scale of genres with say jazz at one end and metal at the other.
I play mostly metal and I mess around with other genres. Come at me.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by IartNub
I like how "metalheads" are being stereotyped as being dumb and narrow minded, with a dumb, narrow minded comment, Also great grammerz!

I like how you quoted a word I never used. Thanks for proving my point, slugger.

edit: No, that was mean. I'm just trolling with metalheads buddy. I'm not being (that) serious.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Dec 14, 2011,
Quote by IartNub

People who actually define themselves as "metalheads" would be, by definition, narrow minded.

Also, you have poor grammar as well. You're not hot shit.

On topic: I just say I play "rock and roll music." That covers everything I play. Though, it does sometimes lead to people thinking I only play oldies rock.
Last edited by TextOnTheScreen at Dec 14, 2011,
This drives me nuts. I have a friend who I recently heard brag that "I play everything." I then gave him a dirty look, because all he plays is (mostly acoustic) radio rock music. He then responded with "yes, metal too" because he knows a few metal riffs here and there...
People want more people to like them. If they said "Yeah i hate everything but metal" they would put some people, who they could potentially be friends with, off speaking to them. People conform/ say they conform to social norms so that they aren't brushed aside. As much people would love to disagree, people hate not being accepted.

Also if you're particularly self concious about what you're probably more likely to say it. So if you with a group of people who listen to dubstep, but you aren't a massive fan yourself, you're going to say something along the lines of "Yeah i like some dubstep but i've not listened to much".
Quote by Kensai
I like how you quoted a word I never used. Thanks for proving my point, slugger.

edit: No, that was mean. I'm just trolling with metalheads buddy. I'm not being (that) serious.

Ahh It seems I blended two narrow minded comments into one my bad!

Also I don't listen to metal so what point would that be?
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, SG special, Ibanez artcore series, Eastwood ultra gp, schecter acoustic and a squire strat.

shame im shit.
I can't play much jazz, but I own and play a classical guitar and also play various genres from blues, folk, indie rock to black metal. Mostly metal though, I suppose. It's just the most fun style of music to play, along with blues. In my opinion.
I get annoyed when I see things like "I even play classical" cos they played an Yngwie Malmsteen lick, and the "I play Jazz" cos they think BTBAM are Jazz (heard it said before...most ridiculous thing I've heard about that band).

But a lot of the time it's true. Like, in my case. I play Jazz, Fusion, Funk, Rock and Pop mainly. But I used to play a lot of metal (of various sub-genres) and still do occasionally, same with Punk, I play in a 50s Rock'n'Roll/Surf/Rockabilly band as well as a Funk-Rock band and I used to be in a Ska band who did some Reggae and Indie tunes. And I don't feel the least bit cultured, so I imagine there are loads of people out there who span a wider number of genres than myself.

Though upon reading the OP...are you annoyed at the placement of metal in people's lists?...

I actually always see "I play everything. From Metal, punk, rock, classic rock, hard rock...then...yeah...to...classical...trip-hop...umm...I listened to Brad Paisley once...so, yeah, I do Country too".
Cos, around here at least, it's mainly metal players. People who say they play everything tend to lead with what they actually play, then fill out the post with genres they kinda played one tune of.
I tell people that I exclusively play long self indulgent free form jazz fusion odysseys. Its funny because I don't.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
I don't really say that. I usually just say "I play mainly classic rock, punk, hard rock, and metal. And classical on the piano."

I know I don't play everything, so I don't say I do.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
People who actually define themselves as "metalheads" would be, by definition, narrow minded.
Ok...let's play a game. I say you stating that makes you narrow-minded! What now?
i've heard people say things like that before, but i can never confirm what they actually play.

i find people, like my roommate last year, who make up pseudo musical theory bullshit funnier.

he would play some retarded sounding scale and say things like "a minor tonality in a sweeping arpeggio in drop C tuning" i don't know know any musical theory or how to read music, but other kids i know who do said he was always full of shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I play everything from djent to djent. Because djent is a genre.

For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i've heard people say things like that before, but i can never confirm what they actually play.

i find people, like my roommate last year, who make up pseudo musical theory bullshit funnier.

he would play some retarded sounding scale and say things like "a minor tonality in a sweeping arpeggio in drop C tuning" i don't know know any musical theory or how to read music, but other kids i know who do said he was always full of shit.

I can certify that he is full of shit.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kensai
It's because people who play metal don't think things through before they speak. Or during they speak. Or afterwards. \m/

fixed fro accuracy
Quote by sashki
Because people who refer to their range of music as "From [genre] to metal" are aware that they don't listen to such a wide variety of music, and try to compensate for that by making it seem like a huge range between two antipoles.
Theres a difference between listening to music and playing it. I pretty much exclusively play metal with a bit of acoustic stuff, but I listen to a pretty wide variety. Only genres I don't really listen to regularly are blues, jazz and classical, though I'd like to get in to the latter two.
TBFH, metal is the best genre...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok...let's play a game. I say you stating that makes you narrow-minded! What now?

I quit because I don't like this game, that's what.
I play everything from Coldplay to Satriani.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Page 1 of 2