So i have been thinking about getting cubase 6. Shuld i get it? How big is the size of the program? I have used reaper before. Wich one is best? Im gonna use pod farm/pod hd500 and ez drummer with it.. I have pc What is easyest to use and easyest VST?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Dec 14, 2011,
cubase is simple to use but doesnt have much professional functions. i suggest SonarX1, Home Studio 7 or if you have a Apple computer, Logic Pro8
Meh
Quote by lildudenikki
cubase is simple to use but doesnt have much professional functions. i suggest SonarX1, Home Studio 7 or if you have a Apple computer, Logic Pro8

I dont like cubase because of it's interface but this is plain stupid. Cubase is a VERY good software and it's especially good with MIDI. It also include a pitch Corrector(VariAudio) and many very useful features.
I'm a huge fan of Cubase. i have Cubase 5, and i absolutely love it. i tried using other softwares (all the major ones, at least), and as far as home recording software goes this is by far my favorite.

it's simple to use, easy to get a hang of things, and it has some awesome features that a majority of other programs don't do nearly as well.

honestly, i'm not sure what the previous poster meant by "it doesn't do a lot of professional functions".... like what? what are you referring to?
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
It's personal preference mate to be honest, some people love Cubase, others don't. For me, it's a horrible system to use, not enough soft synths and the plug-ins look clunky. But then again, the other two above me say it's great. So it really is personal preference.
Quote by lildudenikki

lol wut u ignant dawg.
Quote by bass wizard
It's personal preference mate to be honest, some people love Cubase, others don't. For me, it's a horrible system to use, not enough soft synths and the plug-ins look clunky. But then again, the other two above me say it's great. So it really is personal preference.

i would completely agree with this. a lot of the plug-ins that come with cubase are chunky, and that's definitely the best way to describe them.

but there are hundreds upon hundreds of free plug-ins that work/look great with cubase.

the software itself has never let me down. if i wanted to do something, cubase had a way of doing it. and more often than not, i could figure out what i needed to do in a few minutes or it was extremely simple. and i'd often find things i didn't even know cubase had, even though i was looking for something else completely different.

i can't say that for the other programs i used. i was often surprised that some programs DIDN'T have a specific feature that was not only in cubase, but it was easy to access and use. i wish i had a specific example, but alas.

either way, i love cubase. i haven't gotten to work with 6 like i have with 5, but. cubase. love it.

follow my twitter here
Quote by bass wizard

I love Cubase. I've been using it since VST3.5... that's right... not SX3, but VST3.5. Before SX....

I've used ProTools. Not once during that time did I find myself thinking, "Gee, I wish I could do this with Cubase." Not once. But I HAVE had people who use ProTools say, "you can do that with Cubase? Really?"

Anyhow....

If the second worst-thing you can say about it is that the plugins look clunky, then that pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

"Gee, I really hate that hammer. It's yellow." Who the f*** cares what it looks like if it's a good hammer?

As far as the worst... well, what has more? I mean, Steinberg INVENTED the VST platform. If a soft-synth comes in pretty much any format, it will be in VST first probably 99% of the time.

Granted, it doesn't SHIP with a ton of 'em, but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker, I wouldn't think.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^On that note Chris... How is the pitch program in Cubase? I'm pretty sure my friend mentioned 5 had something similar to Autotune built in, but I don't remember if he said it was any good or not

If AudioMIDI would ever call me back, I might get it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by lildudenikki

Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave.
Last time I checked, I was able to download free plugins and use them in cubase that have been compared to high end plugins, if not better. Not to mention, I would much rather start with a DAW that is extremely straight forward instead of starting with something like ProTools because it will confuse the living heck out of me.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by MatrixClaw
^On that note Chris... How is the pitch program in Cubase? I'm pretty sure my friend mentioned 5 had something similar to Autotune built in, but I don't remember if he said it was any good or not

It does have pitch-correct, and it's called Vari-Audio. It looks quite powerful, and I don't know what they've done to it for Cubase 6, as I'm still on Cubase 5. I had just gotten C5 about a month outside of the "free upgrade" window, and can't justify spending another $200 on the update.

I've not spent any time with it, though, TBH. Partly because I'm a fan of "if you're going to present it to people on a disc or whatever, you should be able to do it live." So, I'll sing, and re-sing stuff again until I get it right. I feel kinda yucky using any sort of auto-tune. The other part of the reason is that I got C5 and my Steinberg MR816 interface at around the same time. I made a couple of recordings with it that I couldn't really mix to save my life in my old crappy room, and then spent the next year tearing apart my basement building the new studio, etc. It's only been recently that I got that back up and running.

I expect that, sooner or later, I will find a need or want to use it, but really haven't just yet.

In the meantime, here is a SOS review of it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/articles/cubasetech_0809.htm

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Partly because I'm a fan of "if you're going to present it to people on a disc or whatever, you should be able to do it live." So, I'll sing, and re-sing stuff again until I get it right. I feel kinda yucky using any sort of auto-tune.

i feel this way too, to an extent.

i also felt like i could tell if a singer was being too correct. very rarely do i hear autotune used tastefully.

i've used amadeus, or however you spell it, and it didn't really do much for me.

follow my twitter here
Quote by lildudenikki
cubase is simple to use but doesnt have much professional functions.

What utter tripe. It may not have the pedalboards and whatnot of Logic, but Cubase is a very professional, excellent program. I don't have to piss about for 10 minutes trying to get a fade to work. Click and drag a blue box and the track is faded. I don't have to piss about to apply a send effect and I don't have to use a Mac. Cubase may be simple but for me it is one of the best programs out there.

Simple/User Friendly =/= Bad.