Hello!

I was wondering what I would need to do to be able to play my guitar through my laptop. I'm wanting to be able to play and listen through headphones (what little experience i have had with this the quality has been very bad, I'm noob in this respect). I'd also like to start recording my guitar to my laptop.

A little googling brought me to something like this but I don't know if this is what I should be after:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/m-audio-fast-track-usb-v2/30573?gclid=CNW75aCmgq0CFSEhtAodcyJ5Ig

If there is a cheaper alternative it would be much appreciated. I'm just wanting to be able to play my guitar through my laptop so I can record and listen with headphones at a fairly good quality. While on the topic, if anyone has any headphones they could recommend (At the moment I only have ear-canal earphones) then any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Apologies if this isn't in the correct area, it seemed like a good place to put this thread.
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
Last edited by jimbojetuk at Dec 14, 2011,
Checkout Amplitube 3. They have a free version you can try out. Eventually you will want to upgrade like everything you have but its a good place to get started and get an idea of how it all works..

There are other Amp Sims around and they can cost anywhere from free to alot of money. I'd say start there tho..
Quote by surjer
Checkout Amplitube 3. They have a free version you can try out. Eventually you will want to upgrade like everything you have but its a good place to get started and get an idea of how it all works..

There are other Amp Sims around and they can cost anywhere from free to alot of money. I'd say start there tho..

what about the connection from guitar -> laptop? There's no special inputs only a regular 3.5mm mic input and after a bit of messing around with trying to connect with cables I couldn't really get it to work well. That's why I thought I'd need something like I posted in the OP.
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
ahh, sorry i missed that part. You could get away with a DI box but you would probably have latency issues if your using the laptops built in audio card. A decent audio interface would work best. Such as the fast track..
Quote by surjer
ahh, sorry i missed that part. You could get away with a DI box but you would probably have latency issues if your using the laptops built in audio card. A decent audio interface would work best. Such as the fast track..

look for a used fast track i purchased a fast track pro 2 (I think) for $50 i barely use all of its features. U can most definitely get a used lower model for less or get yourself a pod.