Hello!

I was wondering what I would need to do to be able to play my guitar through my laptop. I'm wanting to be able to play and listen through headphones (what little experience i have had with this the quality has been very bad, I'm noob in this respect). I'd also like to start recording my guitar to my laptop.

A little googling brought me to something like this but I don't know if this is what I should be after:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/m-audio-fast-track-usb-v2/30573

If there is a cheaper alternative it would be much appreciated. I'm just wanting to be able to play my guitar through my laptop so I can record and listen with headphones at a fairly good quality. While on the topic, if anyone has any headphones they could recommend (At the moment I only have ear-canal earphones) then any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
Last edited by jimbojetuk at Dec 14, 2011,
link doesn't work

you'll need an audio interface, i'd get one that supports firewire to ensure there's no lag
yes, but im not sure about the latency you'll get with USB 2.0

i think theres some drivers you can use called ASIO4ALL that will reduce lag

im not an expert on interfaces so hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction brand/model-wise.
Quote by rickyj
yes, but im not sure about the latency you'll get with USB 2.0

i think theres some drivers you can use called ASIO4ALL that will reduce lag

im not an expert on interfaces so hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction brand/model-wise.

thanks for the help, nice to get a little insight into what I might need!
Quote by Ruination
you can use a crappy genius or manhattan usb 2.0 sound card that costs about 10$ ,, its not professional but it works and it is cheap, then use the asio4all drivers in ur favorite guitar processing program amplitube or guitar rig etc!!! other options use a guitar port from line 6 or any other interface the fast travk looks excelent
Quote by richjguitar
you can use a crappy genius or manhattan usb 2.0 sound card that costs about 10$ ,, its not professional but it works and it is cheap, then use the asio4all drivers in ur favorite guitar processing program amplitube or guitar rig etc!!! other options use a guitar port from line 6 or any other interface the fast travk looks excelent

So do you think the fast track is the kind of thing I should be looking at? And how would I connect up to my laptop, would I go through my amp first and then the interface or the interface and then get the tone from on my laptop?
Quote by Ruination
Quote by jimbojetuk
So do you think the fast track is the kind of thing I should be looking at? And how would I connect up to my laptop, would I go through my amp first and then the interface or the interface and then get the tone from on my laptop?

You wouldn't use your amp in this case. If you have a line out on your amp you can plug that into your laptops line in spot, but the quality won't be as good. The m-audio device will work perfectly. You plug your guitar into the m-audio device and then the device plugs into your laptops usb port. From there you play into a DAW of whatever you want. Your best bet would be to get a vst as well which you can plug-in to the DAW to get whatever sounds you want.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".