I've just purchased a brand new MIM Fender Standard Precision bass, after raising the action on each of the saddles, I noticed a small buzz on the E and A strings, I thought it might have been the bridge at first, but I don't think it is. The sound seems to be coming from the top nut, just a low buzz, not really loud but noticeable to be irritating, especially when unplugged. The problem comes and goes at times and I don't know how I could possibly fix it. Help would be appreciated.
First, make sure all of the screws and nuts on the headstock are tightened down properly. If it still buzzes, see if the nut is loose. And make sure none of the nut slots are cut too deep. If that doesn't do it, then you probably have a high fret or two. Have a qualified tech check it out and do a fret level and dress, if necessary.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The string will be way too close to the fretboard. Also, the four strings will not be even in height across the nut.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well, the strings seem to be all even across the nut, and the E string, which is the only problem string now i forgot to add, Is no closer to the frets than the others, I'll be irked if it needs to have a fret job done since I payed for quality and there are no skilled techs around my area.