depending on how absolutely horrid the guitar is, yes. also buying a new instrument can inspire you to get better. my first guitar was a BC rich avenge, such a p.o.s. but i was 11 i thought it looked cool, a little while later when i really got into playing i got a Les Paul and was inspired to do that much better
Simple answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes. What amp are you using? You probably need a new amp as well, that's the main contributor to your tone so if you get a better guitar, it will still sound poor through a poor amp.

Cheap kit is designed for beginners, it's not designed for people to keep playing for years.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yes, and even on a good guitar the set effects it just as much. I've been playing for 15 years, just bought a new guitar recently had it set up before I ever brought it home and that guitar makes me a better player. Quality, comfort, and set up all make a different.

Alot of new guitarist dont want to buy a decent guitar because they are not sure if they are going to stick with it, but having a bad guitar with a horrible set up it one of the things that make it so hard for them to play and unfortunately makes alot of people quit.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Yes. You're only as good as your tool allows you to be. Sure, people can do amazing things with limited tools, but I assume you don't want to do the equivalent of drawing portraits with toast scrapings.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I doubt the guitar is unplayable but from what you're saying it doesn't sound as though you have much experience in guitar maintenance or set up, correct? Also if you have been playing the same guitar for 5 years and now feel its unplayable there is definately something there. Sure, a high action, slow fretboard and so on can affect you being able for example to sweep pick arpeggios cleanly at a million miles an hour but overall it shouldn't really hamper your techniqe too badly, especially if you are used to that guitar so much. It would help if you gave details on what guitar you have and what you have done to it and also what you play technique wise. If you want a new guitar get a new guitar, don't use the 'I am too good for the guitar now' excuse unless you play malmsteen on a squire strat.
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Dec 14, 2011,
Quote by Hive_Node
It's not the tone I have a problem with. It's the physical playing. Hammer-ons, pull-offs, playing fast. Isn't the key to have to put in as little effort as possible to push down the strings + accuracy? This is where I think the instrument is sabotaging me.

Yes, your instrument can definitely hold you back.
My first two guitars were awful beginner guitars that I didn't realize were beginner guitars. The day I bought a nice Ibanez with a fast neck and low action, my playing jumped up considerably.
However, I will say practicing on a shitty guitar and then going to a nice guitar is an amazing feeling. Sometimes I will purposefully practice on a bad guitar, just because when you go back to an "easy" guitar to play on, it feels effortless.
Quote by Hive_Node
It's not the tone I have a problem with. It's the physical playing. Hammer-ons, pull-offs, playing fast. Isn't the key to have to put in as little effort as possible to push down the strings + accuracy? This is where I think the instrument is sabotaging me.

Sounds like you already know the answer...

Just remember a good guitar doesn't have to be expensive. There are a lot of gear snobs on UG (not everyone, before I get any complaints) who will claim only a guitar costing a certain amount is good, but there are lots of cheaper guitars out there which are great value for money.

I'd recommend figuring out how much you can afford to spend on a new guitar, then tour round as many guitar shops as possible till you find one you like that's somewhere close to your budget. Then check out eBay to get a used one for less money.

EDIT: Just seen your last post. CHANGE YOUR STRINGS IMMEDIATELY!!!! Even doing that on your current guitar will help make things better until you can get a new one.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 14, 2011,
in short: yes.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You have the perfect guitar to learn to set-up your self.

1. Change your strings. Use 9s or 10s and the nut is probably fine.
2. Set your action with a nickel at fret #15 (raise/lower the saddles until the string barely rubs on the nickel when plucked.
3. Set your intonation (move the saddles until a plucked note is in key at fret 12). If it's sharp, tighten the screw (which moves the saddle further away from the nut).

Unless the neck is twisted, that Turser will play just fine.
Last edited by Commodor 64 at Dec 14, 2011,
Poor guitar - not always. Poorly set up guitar - hell yes.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
although if you are playing that much you should start saving up for a good mid range guitar. That being said you should restring, clean and set up the guitar you are using. At this point playing a guitar that has had no care in 5 years it is fighting you not by any specific design flaw but from neglect.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by McLeod

this.

i think the only way a poor quality guitar could hold you back is if it either simply cannot be set up properly for one reason or another, or if it's just so bad that you can't put up with it anymore.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
The setup matters. Inexpensive guitars these days are worlds ahead of the cheap stuff available when I was starting in the early 70's, provided it's set up well.

The problem sometimes is that even if your guitar is set up properly but still won't deliver the feel and tone that you're looking for. In that case, yes, it's the wrong guitar for you. It will hold you back and you should find something that inspires you to play.
At this point you definitely need to change those strings man... they will be holding you back just as much as anything else. The guitar will feel a lot better even after that.

Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jet City JCA20H
Orange PPC212
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Boss DD-7
Digitech Whammy IV
Quote by McLeod

This more than anything else.

A £1000 guitar with old strings and a crappy setup will still play like an absolute dog - there's nothing inherently wrong with your guitar, the ones in the store are just better set up and have newer strings. In particular strings tend to go to complete shit after about 6 months so it's no surprise your guitar is "unplayable"

Take of the knackered strings
Clean all the dead skin and crap off the fretboard.
Put on new strings
Stretch them out properly
Sort out the action.
Bingo, new guitar.

What a lot of younger players don't realise is that they don't really make "bad" guitars any more - you'd understand how lucky you are if you'd tried learning on something like a Hofner club in the 1960s - even the cheapest guitars nowadays are a world way in terms of playability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by McLeod
I do agree but have a counter-statement to this as well. I actually think if one attempts to work around the limitations of a poorly set up guitar and learn to play well on it, they will be a better all-around guitar player and be able to make any guitar that gets put in their hands sound amazing.

Hell, when I let other people play my guitars, they say they feel terribly uncomfortable, and some amazing players that I've let play my guitars couldn't stand to play my guitars. But I get compliments on my own playing regularly, and when I play others' guitars I feel as if I'm playing better.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I do agree but have a counter-statement to this as well. I actually think if one attempts to work around the limitations of a poorly set up guitar and learn to play well on it, they will be a better all-around guitar player and be able to make any guitar that gets put in their hands sound amazing.

Hell, when I let other people play my guitars, they say they feel terribly uncomfortable, and some amazing players that I've let play my guitars couldn't stand to play my guitars. But I get compliments on my own playing regularly, and when I play others' guitars I feel as if I'm playing better.

I see your point, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that to a beginner. Possibly a more advanced guitarist looking for new ways to improve?

If it works for you though, go for it.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yes and no. A poorly set up guitar makes my fingers get all bumbley. However, I do not think a guitar is a proper excuse for not becoming a better guitarist. Also, I don't think that after 5 years of playing that you can play a guitar better than what it's worth.

That said, yeah, definitely get a new guitar.