Quote by Sathias
If you weren't aware, comic Louis CK recently released his latest standup special for 5 bucks on his website, with no DRM whatsoever, against the advice of some of his business advisors. He wanted to experiment to see whether releasing one of his sets directly to the public in such a way would work, rather than selling it to a major distribution company, who would then DRM and region lock the shit out of it and flog it off to the public for 4 times the cost. Word has spread by word of mouth (especially on Twitter) and from his statement today the experiment has been a huge success. It goes to show that if people provide quality content at a reasonable cost, people are willing to pay for it. It also helps that he is one of the best standup comics on the planet.

You can read his statement here, with the breakdowns of what the video cost to make and how much they have made so far.

https://buy.louisck.net/statement

reposted from another forum, I bought it just to support the idea.

so is this guy funny?

PS I'm not an adbot but I feel very strongly about this being a good idea and it deserves to be successful, like Radiohead's In Rainbows.
I like this guy. I'd buy it if I had $5.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
It's a great special from a great comedian for a great price. He did an AMA on reddit a couple days ago if anyone's interested.

I also bought it. It's actually the first digital media I've paid for in years.
Last edited by KeepOnRotting at Dec 14, 2011,
just bought it today, but i haven't gotten around to watching it. probably saving it to watch with friends this weekend.

Quote by Diamond Dave

so is this guy funny?

one of the best stand-ups working today. also his show Louie is the second best comedy on tv, though it goes way beyond just being a comedy.

Quote by Weaponized
I plan on torrenting it anyways cause I have no money. Fight me.

you're a jerk if you do that.

Quote by Louis CK
To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.
Quote by uhh_me?

you're a jerk if you do that.

I don't see the problem if I wouldn't have bought it anyways. I mean I love his stuff, but I don't have the means to purchase it/the desire to make a paypal account.
Bought it this morning and watched it before one of my finals, it's classic Louis CK material and worth a lot more than $5 imo. Love me some Louie.

The fact that he paid for every aspect of the video would make me feel like a huge douche if I didn't pay for it. I generally don't buy standup (I watch it on youtube or Comedy Central specials), but based on the circumstances I had qualms about forking over a few dollars.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Dec 14, 2011,
I'm too lazy to buy things and torrent things alike.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by KeepOnRotting
"Thanks again for giving me 5 dollars. I bought 3 cokes with it."

-Louis CK

i really liked the choice for opting out of future emails, "No, leave me alone forever, you fat idiot."
Either buy it or don't watch it until someone else lets you. People constantly come up with very weak justifications for pirating things but IMO they don't fly when it's the artist himself paying for everything, not putting any drm on it, and only charging $5.

Sorry, but Louis' a good guy and with all the entitlement floating around he's the one who really deserves better in this situation