Hi.
Im looking for a set of actives to put into my schecter omen extreme, so i can use it for a recording situation. It has the standard, Coil-Tapped (yes, tapped) pickups in, and they are quite good for anything up to hard rock, but dont have the right tone or output for my metal band. Problem is, its used for rhythms and cleans, so EMGs are ruled out, and im not a fan of blackouts. I like the look of Dave mustaine livewires, but ive heard theyre not good for cleans. What does UG think?
Yeah, wut.

I would have recommended Blackouts cause they have great cleans, also the EMG Xs are supposed to be amazing; way better than regular EMGs, so maybe look at them.

But yeah if you're going to rule out the 2 main actives then why are you so set on getting them anyway. You could get DiMarzios or Bareknuckles or something and get awesome tones from them.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Have you considered an active bridge and a passive neck unit? Or does that not work- please forgive my lack of exact knowledge.
Dude, where's my band?
Yeah not many other actives come to mind except maybe the Dimebag sig, but supposedly those are meh. I didn't really put actives and great cleans in the same category with one another, not to say they don't exist but as far as I know the most common ones are mainly for distortion.
I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, but what amp are you currently using? Maybe the reason why you can't get a good metal tone is cause you have a shit amp?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
i had live wires in my c-1 classic and i got great cleans from them. if you do end up getting live wires, i highly recommend keeping them really low in the guitar or they will def sound like shit.

FWIW im getting great cleans from the blackouts in my 7 string. but yeah like koshman32 says, what amp are you using?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

i thought EMGs were designed to get a good clean tone...
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by TomMon
Have you considered an active bridge and a passive neck unit? Or does that not work- please forgive my lack of exact knowledge.

It's doable but a lot of hassle and not recommended especially since you can get some really nice passives for distorted tones anyway..
Quote by Spartan101400
The Mustaine Livewires are the best Actives for cleans in my experience, better than EMGs or Blackouts at least.

this
Quote by BigHeadClan
Yeah not many other actives come to mind except maybe the Dimebag sig, but supposedly those are meh. I didn't really put actives and great cleans in the same category with one another, not to say they don't exist but as far as I know the most common ones are mainly for distortion.

Dimebags sig pickup is not active, nor is it any good.
The pickup he used, a bill lawrence XL500 is also passive.

I've got great cleans out of an emg 60, I dont know why you'd not consider emgs.
The EMG coil taps they have in mosy Schecters have great cleans.

Middle selector
Full volume for both
Bridge: 81 (in single coil mode)
Neck: 89 (in humbucker mode)

Still not as good as passive, but very close
I don't think ruling out EMGs because "it's for rhythms and cleans" makes sense. I think the 89/60 or 85/60 or the X variants of either of those sets would be perfect for this situation. A 60 in the neck can sound quite good on a decent guitar into an amp that doesn't have too much preamp gain (Twins are good).
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Dimebags sig pickup is not active, nor is it any good.
The pickup he used, a bill lawrence XL500 is also passive.

I've got great cleans out of an emg 60, I dont know why you'd not consider emgs.

I knew that he used BL back in the day and hat they where passive's, but I thought
That his sig set where active o we'll my mistake.
EMG X series. 60 for the neck and 60A for the bridge if you want it balanced or 85 in the bridge if you want something a little tighter for distorted rhythm playing.

Active or passive, EMG 60X and 60AX are pretty much the best pickup for clean tones of any description. They were made for jazz and to match better with single coils than the usual 81/85 are. Even a lot of country players like them, a EMG T in the bridge and a 60X in the neck is becoming a common set.
Eh...i really, really hate EMGs. Theyre toneless, generic awful pickups. The X Series arent much better. I dont mind the 81 so much, but i hate every other one.
Im Using a VOX VT40+. Im thinking DiMarzio Liquifire in the neck and X2n/81/Blackout. What about that?
I'm personally of the opinion you can't get a nice clean tone with emg's you should consider changing amp.
Quote by Cornishrob
I'm personally of the opinion you can't get a nice clean tone with emg's you should consider changing amp.
This.

Or:

EQ more. EMGs are very versatile, and I think the X series' lower output is fan-fricking-tastic. They're only 'toneless' if you refuse to tweak settings (or if you have a not-so-good amp). No pickup will work for you if you don't work for it.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Alright. Ill explain myself

Every amp in my price range has that same, generic, 2000s metal tone. I hate 2000s metal. I dont wish to sound like that
In my opinion, EMGs make every amp sound like a Line 6 Spider. But thats my opinion. They make every guitar sound the same. I played a Schecter C-1 hellraiser, and i liked my omen extreme more because it didnt have emgs...
OK, so now the question becomes, why are you looking at active pickups?

If you're looking for pickups for rhythm and cleans, and don't like EMGs, it's probably a waste of time to insist on actives, since most of them are designed to compete with EMGs and have similar characteristics.
Active pickups by their very design do the exact opposite of what you're saying. Passive pickups dictate tone far more than active pickups do. With active pickups you're getting the widest, rawest tone possible other than using a piezo, which is kind of an active system anyway just using a different method.

Your problem isn't active pickups. Your problem is you've not used active pickups in a rig good enough to make use of what they offer.

But it all really depends how you like to use your rig. From what you've said it sounds like what you really want is a pretty straight forward rig with minimal EQing and you sound against buying a new amp. That's where passive pickups shine. So I don't see why you're looking at active pickups at all.

Grab an all-round passive set along the lines of a DM PAF Pro neck and a SD JB bridge. Or any of the many other passive pickups made along those lines. Tight enough for hard rock and metal, still smooth enough with enough of a mid spike to sound pleasant clean. There's a reason why most people settle on a straight forward passive set like that.
Somebody asked a question and said they don't like chocolate. Chocolate goes with everything, he's making the wrong decision because he doesn't know how to eat chocolate properly, he just hasn't eaten chocolate in a good recipe, that chocolate is better than vanilla because it's more pure, etc etc.

None of this matters. Stop recommending chocolate. He doesn't want your damn chocolate.

So - high output passives? Bareknuckle nailbombs? Warpigs? SD Custom 5? Lots of options for heavier styles in passives.
EMG James Hetfield signature.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Sigh. Yall just don't get it. I'm with Roc8995 and grohl1987, it seems like TS is looking for a set of high-gain passive pups, he just doesn't know it yet. I personally am in love with my Dirty Fingers i've got in my SG. It's super heavy, and cleans up real nice too, although I've heard some people have had trouble getting a good clean sound out of it. Never been a problem for me though. You should also look into BKP Nailbombs or Warpigs, DiMarzio D-Activators, etc.
Alright then. What about hot passives?

I guess i didnt say what i wanted with the actives much. What i really meant was"Not generic metalcore sound"
My ESP has EMG 81 in both neck and bridge. It came stock like that and after doing the 18 volt mod, I'm totally happy with the sound. Both distortion and clean.

So EMGs + 18 volt mod = good cleans/everything
EMG 60

i beleive they sell them and they are between the price range of "Stop Whining" and "Get Your Facts Straight"

not a dick comment, rather that pickup was designed (in line with most other EMG pickups) for great, jazzy clean tones and a defined gain tone.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED