I am an intermediate player. I have been playing for about 3-5 months. I play most types of rock, and hope to one day play metal -- such as Killswitch Engage and In Flames. But, I'm still in my Stone Sour / Audioslave play skill. I'm looking for a guitar that looks good, sounds good, and will last through my evolving skill. I'm playing through a 15W Peavey Vypyr right now, and have no pedal. I am hoping to get both a new guitar and a decent pedal for Christmas, for around 800-900 together. Can you give me some pointers? I currently own an Ibanez Art 100 and I absolutely hate it.
Last edited by Manshack at Dec 14, 2011,
***What do you dislike about your current gear?***

Pedals and solid state 15w amp w multifx= waste of time.

Playing 3-5 months you are not intermediate.

Not trying to put you down, but you are a beginner.
Yeah, I'll give you that. I'm just saying, better than most 3-5 month players. I learn extremely fast. It's not a waste of time if I am switching in the middle of the song. -_- Would you recommend a better amp? My Guitar doesn't have good playability and it sounds like crap on a stick. I have friends come over that play with me. I play on their guitar a lot of the time, because they are friendlier? I guess you could say. They are easier to play, easier to fret, sound better, easier to hold.
Ok, I thought you meant effects.
I dont need instant tone switching other then from cleans to dirt, so someone else can help you with that.
Try to find a used ibanez prestige. Fantastic playing guitars for metal, shread and leads in general. My 1570 was 600$ before the bkp pickups (320$). They resell cheap and are worth every penny for the meticulous qc the japanese do.
Jeeze you've been playing for 3-5 months and are bashing a Vypyr and an Art300.......? I've been playing for three years and I own an entry level Washburn, an Art100 and I play through a Line 6 Spider IV 120, which other than the fact that my amp is louder, it isn't all that much different than a Vypyr.

Not to try and insult you but I'd say your problem is most likely that you don't know how to use the settings on your amp correctly. There is no reason that anybody with your amount of experience should find an Art300 to sound like "crap on a stick." The Ibanez Art's are amazing guitars and sound a lot better than most guitars in their price range. And again I'm not trying to insult you, but I don't think you're at the level of playing where you can fairly say that a guitar doesn't have good playability.

Bottom line is you have a great guitar and a decent amp for someone of your skill. I'd focus on learning how to play a bit better and learning how to get a good tone from what you have if I were you.
I'm not bashing my Amp, I think my amp is just dandy. I am bashing my Ibanez Art 300. I take my friend's guitars, such as Epiphones, and Ibanez RG's, plug them into my amp, and play the same exact songs I do on my Art 300 with 10x the quality of sound in both the clean highs and the distorted lows. I am experienced enough to know whether something sounds like crap when I play it or not, and my experience doesn't change with guitars. My sounds improves dramatically when I switch to a different guitar -- even on the same amp. Therefore, it's the guitar. The pickups that came with my Ibanez are cheap and have a trashy sound -- (I caught it on sale used. Only my amp is brand new.), especially distorted, it barely picks up any of the lows, and the screams sound gritty and nasty. It has nothing to do with the effects on my Amp, I work them just fine. Also, I am experienced enough to know when a guitar is more friendly to me. Even a 4 year old can tell you what car is more comfortable to sit in.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Ok, I thought you meant effects.
I dont need instant tone switching other then from cleans to dirt, so someone else can help you with that.
Try to find a used ibanez prestige. Fantastic playing guitars for metal, shread and leads in general. My 1570 was 600$ before the bkp pickups (320$). They resell cheap and are worth every penny for the meticulous qc the japanese do.

Thank you Are the stock pickups quality? Does it have the Floyd Rose, and is it very friendly?
Sorry I just sort of jumped to a conclusion seeing as you're literally the only person I've ever seen say an Ibanez Art sounds like crap.

Unless the person you bought your Art from switched the pickups then they should sound great, I've played an Art300 before and loved the sound.

But switching from an Art300 to an Epi or an RG doesn't really prove much. You're going from a guitar with active pickups to guitars with passives. You're gonna have to change your amp settings when going between the two because actives and passives don't sound alike.

I'm still gonna say 95% chance your guitar is not the problem. For one its a great guitar and I've played it myself. Secondly, I know plenty of other guitarists who love it. Third, you're saying the pickups don't pick up any lows, which can't be right unless your settings are screwed up or someone switched out the pickups. Actives pick up more lows and highs than passives do so your guitar should have a better range of sound than an Epi or an RG.

Also it could be a soldering problem. I didn't think of it before, but its a possibility.
Last edited by caeser1156 at Dec 14, 2011,
esp ltd f-350, actually my dream guitar right now, ive been playing around the same time im using a jackson kelly (cheapest one), and the peavy vypyr. Maybe a better sounding amp would do the trick.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Well, a lot can depend on that. The first thing I would recommend is to look at the the guitars and gear your guitar heroes use. Since most of that stuff is out of reach for us mere mortal men, the guitar manufacturers sell signature editions at varying costs depending on your budget. Another idea I prefer is to find a cheap guitar that has similar (but stripped down) specs to most of my guitar heroes across the board and do a simple pick-up swap. I've built a lot of clones and frankensteins this way, as well as having the benefit of learning from experimentation. If you're gonna build a clone, who really needs super expensive grovers, sperzels, or whatev when your clampin 'em down in a floyd rose. Those are handy if your gonna run without a lock though.

Pawn shops are a good place to start since ebay has so many people jackin the bids up on gear, plus almost any guitar, pick-up, amp, cab, or effect has a youtube video of somebody testing it out not to mention all the reviews on this site, or harmony central.

To answer more directly, I bought a Jackson Dinky professional from a pawnshop loaded with EMG 81, 85, s/a, for 250$ in great shape. That got me a little closer to some really good thrash tones, considering the budget. It's cleans weren't much to write home about.

I bought a Ibanez artcore AF 100 NT for 600$ that gives beautiful cleans, but lacks versatility when you step too far out of the clean zone.

What I consider to be the most versatile budget guitar that I've come across was a Kramer focus 6000 built in 1980-81. I paid 200$ for it, and it was a damn good 200 well spent. It got me a good classic metal tone, and has pretty good cleans. The reason I put the year on this one is because when Kramer first started the focus series, they were putting unmarked seymour duncan p/u's in them, after 1984 (i think) they started putting in some cheap pick ups owned by some off company under the EMG umbrella, those sounded terrible to me.

Hope this longwritten thing helps.
Quote by Manshack
Thank you Are the stock pickups quality? Does it have the Floyd Rose, and is it very friendly?

Stock pickups were shit imo. Couldnt cut through the gain well and were quite noisy for humbuckers. Some people love them. Not me, Hence the bkp's.

It has an edge pro trem (better then any floyd rose i've owned) and is the easiest playing guitar I've touched. After buying it my other guitars are collecting dust.

Almost every ibanez needs pickups changed, although a few prestiges and higher end non prestiges have dimarzio pickups already.
Quote by caeser1156
Sorry I just sort of jumped to a conclusion seeing as you're literally the only person I've ever seen say an Ibanez Art sounds like crap.

Unless the person you bought your Art from switched the pickups then they should sound great, I've played an Art300 before and loved the sound.

But switching from an Art300 to an Epi or an RG doesn't really prove much. You're going from a guitar with active pickups to guitars with passives. You're gonna have to change your amp settings when going between the two because actives and passives don't sound alike.

I'm still gonna say 95% chance your guitar is not the problem. For one its a great guitar and I've played it myself. Secondly, I know plenty of other guitarists who love it. Third, you're saying the pickups don't pick up any lows, which can't be right unless your settings are screwed up or someone switched out the pickups. Actives pick up more lows and highs than passives do so your guitar should have a better range of sound than an Epi or an RG.

Also it could be a soldering problem. I didn't think of it before, but its a possibility.

It has an E7 on the bridge and an E8 on the back end of the guitar. So, I'm guessing the user switched it, because these are passive pickups, and no where on my guitar does the Art have an area for Batteries.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Stock pickups were shit imo. Couldnt cut through the gain well and were quite noisy for humbuckers. Some people love them. Not me, Hence the bkp's.

It has an edge pro trem (better then any floyd rose i've owned) and is the easiest playing guitar I've touched. After buying it my other guitars are collecting dust.

Almost every ibanez needs pickups changed, although a few prestiges and higher end non prestiges have dimarzio pickups already.

Prestige seems pretty high end, expensive for me. Used @ 600? That's pretty high. I was hoping for a brand new one around 600, considering I've went the used route and didn't like what I ended up with.
Quote by vulgarthrash
Well, a lot can depend on that. The first thing I would recommend is to look at the the guitars and gear your guitar heroes use. Since most of that stuff is out of reach for us mere mortal men, the guitar manufacturers sell signature editions at varying costs depending on your budget. Another idea I prefer is to find a cheap guitar that has similar (but stripped down) specs to most of my guitar heroes across the board and do a simple pick-up swap. I've built a lot of clones and frankensteins this way, as well as having the benefit of learning from experimentation. If you're gonna build a clone, who really needs super expensive grovers, sperzels, or whatev when your clampin 'em down in a floyd rose. Those are handy if your gonna run without a lock though.

Pawn shops are a good place to start since ebay has so many people jackin the bids up on gear, plus almost any guitar, pick-up, amp, cab, or effect has a youtube video of somebody testing it out not to mention all the reviews on this site, or harmony central.

To answer more directly, I bought a Jackson Dinky professional from a pawnshop loaded with EMG 81, 85, s/a, for 250$ in great shape. That got me a little closer to some really good thrash tones, considering the budget. It's cleans weren't much to write home about.

I bought a Ibanez artcore AF 100 NT for 600$ that gives beautiful cleans, but lacks versatility when you step too far out of the clean zone.

What I consider to be the most versatile budget guitar that I've come across was a Kramer focus 6000 built in 1980-81. I paid 200$ for it, and it was a damn good 200 well spent. It got me a good classic metal tone, and has pretty good cleans. The reason I put the year on this one is because when Kramer first started the focus series, they were putting unmarked seymour duncan p/u's in them, after 1984 (i think) they started putting in some cheap pick ups owned by some off company under the EMG umbrella, those sounded terrible to me.

Hope this longwritten thing helps.

I live in a small town, an hour out of the way of any decent pawn shops. I'm hoping to maybe visit Dallas during the Christmas break to shop around for Guitars, and would like to have somewhat of an idea of what to look for when I go, instead of just going in blind.
Quote by Manshack
It has an E7 on the bridge and an E8 on the back end of the guitar. So, I'm guessing the user switched it, because these are passive pickups, and no where on my guitar does the Art have an area for Batteries.

That's interesting....are you sure its an Art300? Since you bought it used it could be a ripoff. All Art300's come stock with active pickups in em, so something seems a bit off there.
Quote by romeozdistress
esp ltd f-350, actually my dream guitar right now, ive been playing around the same time im using a jackson kelly (cheapest one), and the peavy vypyr. Maybe a better sounding amp would do the trick.

That Esp is beautiful. I love the body design, but I question if it would be comfortable to hold and play or not? I like the fret inlays a lot. Really nice compared to the normal dots. I'll def. keep this one in consideration, but I'm gonna need more opinions on it, and to play it.
Quote by caeser1156
That's interesting....are you sure its an Art300? Since you bought it used it could be a ripoff. All Art300's come stock with active pickups in em, so something seems a bit off there.

Whoops, I did make a mistake. It's a Art 100* Extremely sorry about that! Just looked it up, I was mistaken... lol.
In that case, try to play a few of the ltd mh series. Very comfortable metal guitars, and I believe a few of them have emg81/60's.

In regards to easier bending and fretting: have you lowered your action and possibly tried a set of slinkys?
I only use Extra Light Slinkys, although atm I have a medium gauge set of slinkys just to try them out. I did lower my action on the art 100 a little ways, but it just rattled against the high metal pieces in-between the frets so I had to highten it again.
Quote by Manshack
I am bashing my Ibanez Art 300. I take my friend's guitars, such as Epiphones, and Ibanez RG's, plug them into my amp, and play the same exact songs I do on my Art 300 with 10x the quality of sound in both the clean highs and the distorted lows.

*cough* Crappy active pups *cough*

I don't really like my ART300 either...........I don't even know why I still have it

But yeah, the pickups on the ART are pretty bad and passives are more distinct when it comes to highs. Active pups IMO just make everything a bit more midrangey and kill the highs. You could use your amp to compensate for that but its just not the same

Not in the mood to help you with your future purchase but plug your ART into a br00tlz tube amp and crank it! And do the same with your friends' guitars. See which one won't murder your ears because of the shrill highs (unless, of course, you EQ it)

So.....what did you guys have for dinner?

EDIT: Just saw your have an ART100........disregard all of that...but please tell me what you had for dinner.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Dec 14, 2011,
Curious, what are the guitars your friends have that feel so good to you? Why not buy one of those? You have the experience with them -- should be a no-brainer (unless they're out of your budget...)
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
They feel good, but they're ugly. One's an ephiphone and the other is an Ibanez RG, it's way out of my budget.
i dont really want to give advice to anyone who considers themselves an intermidiate after 3 months.................so i wont troll lol
Believe it or not, length of time playing doesn't automatically equal skill. Take this kid for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRyaBj7LPdc&feature=related

Honestly I don't see a reason to get a pedal for a Vypyr. It has all the distortion and effects that you need onboard. If anything, get a new amp along with your guitar.

With a budget of $900, you can easily achieve an ESP LTD FX360 and a Peavey 6505 112. This will make your current setup sound like a First Act starter kit.