So, I was giving my strat a good old setup and clean yesterday and decided it was about time I unscrewed the scratchplate to get rid of the few remaining bits of plastic film that I couldn't get off when I first got the guitar.

I took the knobs off the volume and tone pots, unscrewed the pickups and everything. There wasn't much plastic left, but it was enough to annoy me.

While I was in there I noticed these strange holes;

What are they?
They're from the CNC machines that rout the bodies. I can't remember exactly what they're for, possibly to provide a point to anchor the body so it won't move during routing.

They can be used to identify bodies. MIM and MIA bodies have the holes laid out differently IIRC.
It's the work of the devil!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
My 97' usa strat has those holes also so i wouldn't be too worried.
Mine has two holes though, don't know why you have 3.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
my squier doesn't have them
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by littlephil
They're from the CNC machines that rout the bodies. I can't remember exactly what they're for, possibly to provide a point to anchor the body so it won't move during routing.

Makes sense.

Quote by StateFarmsThere
Speed holes!

Ah, of course. They make me play faster. It's also red, so that adds a few notes per second to my playing.
Quote by bluezombie
My 97' usa strat has those holes also so i wouldn't be too worried.
Mine has two holes though, don't know why you have 3.

MIA should have 1 or 2 holes (I believe it depends on the year, some may have none)
MIM have 3, not sure about MIJ

I'm no Fender expert by any means, but thats what I've picked up from a few different places.
put a couple dimes in there and use it as a maraca.

you know, that's actually a great idea.
They are made by tiny space aliens in an attempt to communicate with us.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!