I was going to get a Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo shortly after christmas but I had to spend a large chuck of the money I had been saving.

Anyone have a suggestion for a suitable buget replacement that has good high gain like a MarkIV?

Its going to be used mostly for metal. Stuff like Lamb of God, Amon Amarth, Finntroll, Tyr, but also stuff like TooL and Rush.
Needs to have Decent Cleans.

Obviously I'm willing to go used and would probably prefer it.

I already have a peavey Vypyr 75 (which is what I'm trying to upgrade...).

My budget as of now is $500. Maybe $600 at the most.

Also eventually want to either get new pickups (BKP) for my guitar or get a new guitar entirely and have strongly reconsidered doing this since I'm that much further from getting a Mark...

Thoughts???
Bugera JUST released two amps that are coming out very soon that would be perfect for you. There is the Trirec (A Dual Rectifier clone, despite the name) and the Magician (a Mark V clone). I would look into both of these. They won't have much of a used market for a while since they aren't available to buy yet, but that gives you some time to save up if you want to get one new. You might even get lucky and find one that is Scratch and Dent or Non-Factory Sealed. www.americanmusical.com usually gives about $100-$200 off for those, which would put them very close to your price range.

If you don't want to wait that long or aren't into Bugera, you're going to end up with a 6505 of some sort. Most likely the 6505+ bought used. Either that or a Bugera 6260 or 6262, which are just clones of those amps. You might even want to look at a Peavey XXX or JSX, or the Bugera XXX clones: the 333 and 333xl.

Those are most likely your best bets.
While I'm sure you could get an amp that sounds better than a Vypyr for $600 the improvement you'd get really wouldn't be worth the money you'd be spending to get it.

Wait until you can afford the Mark...

Otherwise... Blackstar HT-20 or some sort of Peavey
Last edited by icronic at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by icronic
While I'm sure you could get an amp that sounds better than a Vypyr for $600 the improvement you'd get really wouldn't be worth the money you'd be spending to get it.

Wait until you can afford the Mark...

+1 If you want a Mark, nothing else will satisfy. Mark IV high gain tone is unique.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+1 If you want a Mark, nothing else will satisfy. Mark IV high gain tone is unique.

I agree. If you buy anything else at this point you'll still be wanting the Mark.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i dont know about these other guys all though the mark rocks....bugera has some amazing amps for so low its not even funny. i was going to buy a 6262 but they discontinued most of their series and now you cant find them...im looking for a 333xl though so you should look into them
A used Mesa DC-3 or DC-5 will be great (they are kinda a striped down Mark series).

If you feal the need to buy new, The Bugera 333/333xl combo might be worth a look. The Bugera Magician looks neat, but it will be out of your price range.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You could probably find a used Mesa F-30 or F-50, if you can stretch your budget you might even be able to grab a used Mark combo
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬