Hey everyone! Been gone for awhile but I'm back with a question. The most inspirational and influential artist for me has always been Elliott Smith. The thing is that no matter how hard I try, I can not compose a song in his style of music on guitar. I don't even know what kind of style he plays. Are there any lessons on the internet that would help me?

To clear things, I'm looking for advice/lessons that would help me play LIKE him, not actually play his songs.

Thanks muchos
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
travis picking for playing style. as for composing, well if i had a mind for chord progressions like he did, i'd probably be putting out a record instead of typing this reply. musician talk or something would probably be more helpful.
Quote by NGD1313
travis picking for playing style. as for composing, well if i had a mind for chord progressions like he did, i'd probably be putting out a record instead of typing this reply. musician talk or something would probably be more helpful.

That actually helped me a ton! thanks!
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
in some songs he does a lot of finger picking, sometimes playing the bass with his thumb and doing some tremolo picking with the other fingers.

there's actually an interview on youtube with him explaining some of his songwriting process, he talks about 'sequences' of notes, chord progressions with an implied melody or something. go check it out, it's a nice peek into his genious mind.
yeah, for me, Elliott Smith is all about the chord progressions. a lot of borrowed chords and stuff like that. it's no surprise to hear he was a big Beatles fan.

I often find myself wishing I could write music like that too.
This is a way that is psychological to figure out his inspiration

http://www.theemotionmachine.com/nlp-and-creativity

Watch interviews with him and the sensory functions he uses to describe his music

They are

Visual
Kenisthetic
Olfactory
Gustatory
Auditory

I other words

Sight
Feeling
Smell
Taste
Hearing

for instance

he might say

I saw a bird fly down and sleep right there and the song just hit me- He saw something and it made him feel someway

the lyric might be

rub your wings and pray your prayers/rest as long as time you'll away in dream alone/in fatigue you will find home( I dont know whatever)

So he used feeling and sight, hearing and smell, whatever.

Also imagine you were him and you met yourself crying, what would you say?

Hope this helps you feel creative.

Using other senses, what way can you describe that scene?

Hearing and Feeling,