Which key do you think is the best for getting that real dark sort of feel? (think Opeth , Katatonia , some of Porcupine Tree's darker stuff)
So far i'd say F# minor is great for a sort of weird sound and E Phrygian Dominant works well to get a very dark sound. I've also found using Suspended chords really adds to those sort of atmospherical songs. I've also tried to use some of my knowledge of diminished chords in my song writing , but its a bit too dissonant that it overkills it.

Any other suggestions for this sound? Keys? Modes? Specific Chords?
If you want a specific idea of the sound i'm after , check out Hex Omega - Opeth.
There's enough bands out there playing correctly ; we don't need another band playing exactly the same as everyone else ; we need people to do things that are weird - King Buzzo
The key of G minor, half diminished chords, fully diminished chords, augmented chords, whole tone scale, half-whole and the whole-half diminished scales, and the chromatic scale. And these specific intervals : Minor 2nd, Major 3rd, Diminished 5th, Major 7th.

Dissonance for the win
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
We get a lot of these threads.

It's subjective really, but if you have a solid understanding of tonal theory then the major and minor scales should do everything you want them to do.

As for specific keys, I don't believe they make a massive amount of difference

(inb4 Dmin is the saddest key)
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Dec 16, 2011,
Quote by Muntificator
If you want a specific idea of the sound i'm after , check out Hex Omega - Opeth.

sound to me like harmonic minor
Quote by kimi_page
sound to me like harmonic minor

Actually it's in E Phrygian Dominant. Thanks guys , i guess as you said there is no specific way to do it ; just use a lot of dissonance , etc. Anyway , guess i'll keep experimenting.
There's enough bands out there playing correctly ; we don't need another band playing exactly the same as everyone else ; we need people to do things that are weird - King Buzzo
minor add9 chords
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't beleive keys make much diffrence to how dark something sounds. But for some reason Eb minor sounds a little darker than E minor. This might just be me and in no way am i saying different keys have different personalities.

I find making something sound "dark" has more to do with Tempo, phrasing and accidents (i'e dim 5th, minor 2nd, major7th etc)
Quote by mrbabo91
I don't beleive keys make much diffrence to how dark something sounds. But for some reason Eb minor sounds a little darker than E minor. This might just be me and in no way am i saying different keys have different personalities.

I find making something sound "dark" has more to do with Tempo, phrasing and accidents (i'e dim 5th, minor 2nd, major7th etc)

and also production.
My reference for a dark sound is something like Sabbath's Sleeping Village:

Slow tempos, long notes

Microbends - something sinister about them

Reverb - to get the empty, desolate feeling of run down tower blocks

Minor thirds
Quote by Myshadow46_2

(inb4 Dmin is the saddest key)

Oh, come on! Nigel said it himself!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Jehannum
Microbends - something sinister about them

those bluesmen aren't to be trusted

learn and analyze the music you're trying to emulate. that's the only tried-and-true method of recreating a feel that you don't yet have the ability to express in music.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail

learn and analyze the music you're trying to emulate. that's the only tried-and-true method of recreating a feel that you don't yet have the ability to express in music.

This. Exactly this.

You have to study songs that have the kind of sound you want, to understand what they're doing. It's not about "what scale" because it's as much about how you use the scale as the scale itself.

Develop your ear so that you can really hear what artists you like are doing. Then study their songs.
I get what people are saying , and i have fully analysed all of the songs that have inspired me and all the rest. But i don't want to pretty much just end up copying all of their ways of making the sound , i want to add my own twist to it. So yeah , gonna check out some of the suggestions for keys and whatnot , see what i like. Personally i think the key makes a big impact on the sound (of course , depending how you use it) so i'll just keep experimenting around i suppose
Quote by Muntificator
Personally i think the key makes a big impact on the sound (of course , depending how you use it)

nope
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Muntificator
Personally i think the key makes a big impact on the sound (of course , depending how you use it) so i'll just keep experimenting around i suppose

This would be true only if you associate certain keys with specific sounds and therefore write in distinctly different ways in varying keys. In general, no, there's no difference between them.

I've actually taken a few things after I've finished writing them and transposed them for the hell of it to see if there's any change, but nothing ever struck me as significant.
Quote by Muntificator
I get what people are saying , and i have fully analysed all of the songs that have inspired me and all the rest.

If you had done this, you wouldn't be asking us what scales to use.

But i don't want to pretty much just end up copying all of their ways of making the sound , i want to add my own twist to it.

You want to add your twist to it by asking us what scale we think gives you the sound??

Look, it really comes back to ear training. If you want to be able to express your own ideas through your guitar, you need to develop your ear to the point where you can spontaneously come up with pitch-accurate original ideas in your head. There is no substitute or shortcut for this.
Look up the Locrian mode. It's the mode that sounds the darkest. I don't think keys probably really have any difference as far as having a dark sound or not; a first or a second or a third, etc. in one key isn't going to sound any darker than its equal in another key.