It seems that with chambered body guitars, pretty much the only reason they are chambered is to relieve the heavy weight of some of the heavier solid body. To be frank, I don't really care how much I have to carry around as long as I get a good tone from what I'm playing in a variety of contexts.

If I could have a guitar that did jazz (John Scofield, Mike Stern, Bill Frisell, Eric Johnson and Pat Martino, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall and Pat Metheny)

Rock (Incubus, Porcupine Tree, Guitarists like Satch, Vai, Petrucci, Buckethead and Guthrie Govan)

Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Meshuggah, Opeth, Planet X)

Should I opt for a chambered/semi-hollow or solid. Is there any point getting a chambered except for reasons involving the guitars weight. What sort of guitar ($3, 000 give or take $1, 000) could I get to do such things?

Could said gutiar have HSH or coil tapping, reasonable trem, and piezo
$3, 000 give or take $1, 000

USD?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The closest I can think of off the top of my head is one of the Music Man John Petrucci signatures. They come in 6- or 7-string models with optional piezo bridge. I think they might be chambered but from what I've read that actually improves the resonance of your notes and general "openness" of the sound. The only thing you'd be lacking is a middle single coil.
Quote by jesse music
Do the JP's have coil splitting? How hard would it be to adjust HH to HSH?

Im pretty sure the JP's come with a brass sustain block, but that's got nothing to do with the body being solid or not

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/musicman/jp_6_bfr/index.html <- at least this model has coil split. And yes it should fit pretty much anything because of the many options that you have on pickup configuration.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
The JP is an excelent guitar, also look at the PRS Custom 24 and Parker Fly w/piezo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the suggestions. Does the JP6 have coil tapping or not, because quite a few of the reviews have mention the piezo option but not all coil tapping.

With the Custom 24, nice guitar. How does the trem hold out?

Volume and push/pull tone control with 3-way toggle pickup selector
Volume and tone control with 5-way blade pickup selector

I'm curious as to what the pickup selections are with a 5-way selector.

Parker fly's are nice guitars, tbh they look a bit fugly, but I'm not overly concerned with looks.

How do parker fly's price, I heard they were pretty expensive, I think the Adrian Belew signature can go for as much as $10, 000
I'm not sure if the JP6 is coil splitable, but I would imagine it is(or can be converted easily)

PRS trems are some of the best on the market. They are not a Floyd Rose, but they will handel just about anything and still stay in tune just fine.

The 5 way blade on a PRS is the same as the 5 way rotary switch I have in mine. It gives you Bridge humbucker/Bridge Single coil/Bridge and Neck Single coil/neck Single coil/Neck Humbucker

Yes Parker guitars are ugly as hell, but they are one of the best playing guitars out there

Yes Parkers are expensive, but no more than PRS or MM really.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any particular pro's or con's on the MM JP6, PRS Custom 24 or Parker?

It seems that they already do (or can do with some small adjustments) most stuff you'd ever need/want to do.

With the PRS, does it make much difference in getting the 5 way blade or a 3 way toggle with push pull tone control?

Also, are Suhr or Tom Anderson brands worth considering?
Last edited by jesse music at Dec 15, 2011,
I had a 5-way rotary on my PRS and did the McCarty mod myself (push-pull with 3 way switch). The 5 way has series/parallel adjustments, along with turning certain coils off and on. I think the 3 way w/ push-pull gets you more musical tones. That's just my opinion.

Pickup Switching Positions:
Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

I also find the switches are easier to manipulate on the fly than a smooth rotary switch.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I had a 5-way rotary on my PRS and did the McCarty mod myself (push-pull with 3 way switch). The 5 way has series/parallel adjustments, along with turning certain coils off and on. I think the 3 way w/ push-pull gets you more musical tones. That's just my opinion.

I also find the switches are easier to manipulate on the fly than a smooth rotary switch.

So these positions,

Are they only available on the 5 way blade or on the 3 way toggle with pull push tone?
I agree with Dirk, the rotary switch on PRS is not that practical for live use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I agree with Dirk, the rotary switch on PRS is not that practical for live use.

and i disagree and i use that guitar almost exclusively live.

TS - you are going to have to compromise or have a custom guitar built.

Maybe Carvin?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 15, 2011,
yep. mine has coil split.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by jesse music
So these positions,

Are they only available on the 5 way blade or on the 3 way toggle with pull push tone?

When you do the three-way with a push-pull, you're getting neck-both-bridge with the pot pushed in. When you pull out the pot, you're getting single coil neck-SC both in series-SC bridge. It's a total of 6 sounds.
Hi, I'm Peter
Don't forget that your guitar can only be as versatile as your amp will let it be.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For what you want, with your budget, I'd advise you go Carvin or custom.

I have 5 guitars (1 acoustic, 1 solidbody w/trem, 1 chambered, and 2 hollowbodies) from a luthier named Jon Kammerer out of the Chicago area whom I met at the Dallas Guitar Show (where I live)

http://jonkammererguitars.com/

His website is currently down due to some malware or some such, but that link will get you his phone number. And if you do a search on his name, you'll still be able to see examples of his work. His standard designs start at $1k, his customs at $2k.

And that's just one guy: I encounter all kinds of luthiers in my own area, this board, and over at Guitar Player's site.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
For what you want, with your budget, I'd advise you go Carvin or custom.

I have 5 guitars (1 acoustic, 1 solidbody w/trem, 1 chambered, and 2 hollowbodies) from a luthier named Jon Kammerer out of the Chicago area whom I met at the Dallas Guitar Show (where I live)

http://jonkammererguitars.com/

His website is currently down due to some malware or some such, but that link will get you his phone number. And if you do a search on his name, you'll still be able to see examples of his work. His standard designs start at $1k, his customs at $2k.

And that's just one guy: I encounter all kinds of luthiers in my own area, this board, and over at Guitar Player's site.

I was looking at the latest Haldsworth signature, that seems to have a lot of things going for it, but no trem except bigsby

With the whole chambered thing, is it primarily to relieve weight or does it massively affect your tone as well, how dirty can you get on a chambered?
I agree with the ideas about custom guitars, but if you're looking for something more mainstream, I'd suggest: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-js1200-joe-satriani-signature-guitar

I have one of those and it does everything you've listed - I play primarily metal/prog stuff and instrumental guitar music (Vai/Satch/MacAlpine etc.), but I've also gotten comments about great tone for jazz playing. It's insanely comfortable to play and I use the coil tap feature quite a bit; there's also a high-pass filter which I take advantage of frequently.

The only thing it doesn't have for you is a piezo, so that may be a dealbreaker though.
Quote by jesse music

With the whole chambered thing, is it primarily to relieve weight or does it massively affect your tone as well, how dirty can you get on a chambered?

I'm no expert on "dirty", but a lot of hard rockers use chambered or hollowbody guitars.

Billy Duffy of The Cult springs to mind for using a lit of hollowbody guitars. Troy van Leeuwen's signature Yamaha was a cored body. Ryan Formato- one of Jon Kammerer's customers- is a Prog shredder whose custom cored green...thing...is in JK's gallery of custom work.

Edit: found a picture of it:
http://www.myspace.com/ryanformato/photos/388142#%7B%22ImageId%22%3A388142%7D
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by jesse music
So these positions,

Just to be clear, the above description applies to the 2011 PRS Custom 24, with 5-way blade switch.

Older Custom 24's with the 5-position rotary switch have a slightly different set of combinations, as follows:

Position 10: Treble pickup
Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel
Position 8: Series single coils – Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 7: Parallel single coils – Crisp version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 6: Bass pickup

Basically the old rotary switch had more single-coil choices, whereas the new 5-way blade switch 2011 version gives up a single-coil choice, in order to have a "both humbuckers at once" option.

The old rotary switch models can be modded with a 3-way toggle switch plus push-pull tone knob. (Some pre-2011 Ltd. edition Custom 24's come this way.) How these are usually set up is so that the toggle is basically set to choose neck, both, bridge, and the push-pull switches both pickups between being hums or single-coil. So you are either all hum or all SC.

It is a matter of debate which of the above is more flexible. Probably the most flexible arrangement would be a 3-way toggle to select the pickups, and then to have two switches (either two separate toggles, or having push-pull on both the volume AND tone knobs), so that you could select hum or single-coil independently for the two pickups. I think I have heard of some Custom 24 owners who have had their guitars re-wired in this way.

As an aside, the 2011 Custom 24 comes with 59/09 pups, where before 2011 the basic Custom 24's used an HFS bridge pup and Vintage Base neck pup. (Various "special versions" have used other types...) So in addition to the switching change, the tones are different due to different pups, as well.
Last edited by rschleicher at Dec 15, 2011,