I'm coming here because I do not know too much about amps, and I'm hoping I can have help with picking an amp that would be good for heavy music (Metal and Hardcore). I am looking to spend around $300, so thanks if you can help me.

EDIT:
One more question, I am not too sure really on what the difference is between a cabinet, combo amp, or just an amp. Also, do you really need an amp head to go with a cabinet or not? Thanks.

EDIT:
A few people said that if I could save up to $400-$500 then a lot more options would open up, so I guess I'd ask what other things would be out there for the extra $100-$200.
Last edited by NortonDevon at Dec 15, 2011,
$300, look at line6, they may have a bad rep(I don't know why, for heavy music they kick ass) but they are excellent amps. The spider series is what you're looking for, the newer the better and if you can buy second hand, do it. They drop in price quickly but they are pretty bulletproof and you will be happy with the sound.
Happy shopping.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
Quote by ShaneCallaghan
$300, look at line6, they may have a bad rep(I don't know why, for heavy music they kick ass) but they are excellent amps. The spider series is what you're looking for, the newer the better and if you can buy second hand, do it. They drop in price quickly but they are pretty bulletproof and you will be happy with the sound.
Happy shopping.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS!

If you buy a Spider you will be disappointed eventually with the tone, or you don't have an ear for good tone.

For that budget you would probably have to find some extremely used amps or you would have to take a look at the Peavey Vypyr series.
Quote by Sputnik1
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS!

If you buy a Spider you will be disappointed eventually with the tone, or you don't have an ear for good tone.

For that budget you would probably have to find some extremely used amps or you would have to take a look at the Peavey Vypyr series.

But for 300 quid, he's not really looking at getting a hughes and kettner so i'd say yeah, either a spider or a peavy vypyr. I actually forgot about the Vypyr, good recommendation. Kudos.
7>6!
Schecter Diamond Demon 7
Washburn WG587
Blackstar HT-40 Combo
Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby 95q
Boss NS-2
-DSD-3
Digitech Whammy
-DL4
My sig got smaller! I hate this recession...
Look for a used Vypyr tube 60. Maybe even a used Peavey triumph or ultra. Used Bugera 6260/333 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Seanthesheep
Vypyr is overrated

Not really. None of the other modelers can even come close to touching how versatile/ how many options/ how customizable the Vypyr is. Not to mention that it just flat out sounds good for how much it costs.

TS: The Vypyr will be able to handle what you want with ease. If you want something all tube, you can probably find a Bugera on ebay.

EDIT: Don't forget that you can always wait/save up. If you could get around $400-500, some real options would open up to you (in the form of Peavey 5150/6505 combos)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 15, 2011,
The first guy is right go with the spider, I've heard very experienced audio geeks shower praise all over the spider, for 300 you aren't going to come close to beating it. I would suggest getting a combo with 12in speakers though a kid I know had one with 10's and they sucked. Sure eventually your ears will grow out of the digital fizz a spider produces but its hardly noticeable for newbs.
Quote by Offworld92
Not really. None of the other modelers can even come close to touching how versatile/ how many options/ how customizable the Vypyr is. Not to mention that it just flat out sounds good for how much it costs.

TS: The Vypyr will be able to handle what you want with ease. If you want something all tube, you can probably find a Bugera on ebay.

EDIT: Don't forget that you can always wait/save up. If you could get around $400-500, some real options would open up to you (in the form of Peavey 5150/6505 combos)

Listen to this guy. He's right, I've used the Line Six Spiders at practises and gigs and once you turn them up they sound digital and nasally. I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot barge pole.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Do yourself a favor and ignore anything in the posts that are praising the Spider series of amps by Line 6. Get a Peavey Vypyr, or save up some more money and get yourself a tube amp that will last you MUCH longer in your music career than any modeling amp will.
Seriosuly ignore them..

DO NOT get spider. The only Line 6 worth a shit is the HD series or even a Vetta.

For $300 I would buy a used Ampeg VH-140C, bugera 6262, or if you get real lucky might be able to find a used 5150 but those are hard to find for $300

I have never played one but I hear with a good boost the Jet City 333 can do some metal as long as its not too high gain and they are relatively cheap.

Is this going to be for gigging? Bedroom practice?

More details
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92

The only good thong ive heard from a vypyr is the 6505 sim, but still, i think it gets too much praise for what it is.

I agreete spider is not the best option and that for a bit more theres much better but doesnt mean the vypyr is his best choice as of now
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Sure eventually your ears will grow out of the digital fizz a spider produces but its hardly noticeable for newbs.

He never said he was a noob. He said he doesn't know a lot about amplifiers...

Try to avoid the spider. Many people have made good suggestions if you want to go used.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Vypyr>Spider...

Beyond that, at the $300 price point that's your best option.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Spiders should only be touched by beginners and nobody else. For $300 a Vypyr would be your best bet.
Quote by maddnotez
Seriosuly ignore them..

DO NOT get spider. The only Line 6 worth a shit is the HD series or even a Vetta.

For $300 I would buy a used Ampeg VH-140C, bugera 6262, or if you get real lucky might be able to find a used 5150 but those are hard to find for $300

I have never played one but I hear with a good boost the Jet City 333 can do some metal as long as its not too high gain and they are relatively cheap.

Is this going to be for gigging? Bedroom practice?

More details

Currently I have a Line 6 Spider IV 15, which has the 8" speaker. As of right now it'd only be for practicing in my house (which my current spider is fine for) but I'm working on starting a band, so I may be doing some gigging.
Quote by Offworld92
If you could get around $400-500, some real options would open up to you.

This is the right thing to do in the situation... But I understand if that's not an option. Anyone saying Spiders are decent likely owns one. Misery loves company.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
For $500 used, you should be able to find a used Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, JSX combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
To your other edit, a combo amp is one where the head and speaker are built together...like say a Peavey Vypyr 75w. The cabinet is just the speaker(s). if someone says a 2x12 cab or a 4x12 cabinet, it would mean a cab with 2 12" speakers or 4 12" speakers. The head is the amp itself, and it can't be used alone, meaning you have to have a cabinet to produce sound. Run a head by itself and you can seriously damage it. Hope that gives you a basic idea.
I was really thinking about getting the jet city half stack and maybe a metal muff. would that work out for a practice amp and jamming a bit?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
I was really thinking about getting the jet city half stack and maybe a metal muff. would that work out for a practice amp and jamming a bit?

Yeah, but I don't see the point of the Metal Muff. The Jet City will get heavy enough. If you need a boost, grab something like a Tubescreamer, an EQ, or some other pedal that offers a boost rather than all-out distortion.
Quote by romeozdistress
Which Jet City? If you wish to do any form of metal for under $500 than the JCA5012c is the only Jet City model that will work for that price.
Jca2112rc
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Blackstar HT-1 is another one i was looking at, i just want some new gear, and i figure I can improve my practice amp. Im just a beginner. I wont be gigging, maybe just jamming a little.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
$300? flextone
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by dlowe102
fo real.....

for real.

play a flextone with an od
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by ShaneCallaghan
Happy shopping.

No. The spider is fizzy, thin, digital sounding, and muddy as hell.

Get a Vyper
Quote by Offworld92

The vypyr ss series is overrated lol, the tube version is nice but the ss versions are nothing special, vox moddelers sound leauges better than a vypyr.

TS- Look for a used vox ad-xl series or save up a little more and look into used 5150/6505s or xxx.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by romeozdistress
Blackstar HT-1 is another one i was looking at, i just want some new gear, and i figure I can improve my practice amp. Im just a beginner. I wont be gigging, maybe just jamming a little.

The ht series are not full tube and they sound like crap

My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Dec 16, 2011,