My guitar is an Eagle Strat: http://www.eaglemusic.no/nettbutikk/gitar-elektrisk/eagle-elektrisk-gitar/eagle-elektrisk-gitar-stratocaster-ae10-tr/

My guitar teacher have told me and I have heard/read it other places that a cheap version of a Fender, ESP, Gibson or whatever is much better than a real one if you look at the price (more value for the money).

My guitar is only worth 2000 norwegian kroner (about six times as much as USD) and my guitar teacher said it is almost like a real Fender. It is just because it is "original".

I just want to hear your opinions on this. My guitar is really "easy-to-play" and I wonder how the differences are.

Thanks UGs!
Last edited by Metal-pro at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by Metal-pro
My guitar is an Eagle Strat: http://www.eaglemusic.no/nettbutikk/gitar-elektrisk/eagle-elektrisk-gitar/eagle-elektrisk-gitar-stratocaster-ae10-tr/

My guitar teacher have told me and I have heard/read it other places that a cheap version of a Fender, ESP, Gibson or whatever is much better than a real one if you look at the price (more value for the money).

My guitar is only worth 2000 norwegian kroner (about six times as much as USD) and my guitar teacher said it is almost like a real Fender. It is just because it is "original".

I just want to hear your opinions on this. My guitar is really "easy-to-play" and I wonder how the differences are.

Thanks UGs!

The general consensus is that if you want a REAL Fender, you go buy a Fender. And that's very true, if you want a good SSS strat, Fender is definitely the way to go.

However, that being said, other companies have made very similar (and very good) strats in the past so it's all up to opinion.
the se line of prs are exelant and in some cases better than the fully fleged prs
Quote by ffaf12
the se line of prs are exelant and in some cases better than the fully fleged prs
The only person that would say that is someone who has never touched a USA-made PRS.

OP, in all honesty yes, a 'real' Fender is going to be better than that, especially the ones made in Japan and America. Any guitar where the body wood is listed as simple 'solid wood' isn't going to be all that great. When they write 'solid wood' what that means is either the wood they've used is a species so unpoplar they refuse to name it because it would harm sales or that the body is made up of many, many pieces of different wood glued together so they can't name just one species. That's a hallmark of cheap beginner guitars.

With proper Fenders, especialy the Japanese and American ones, you get branded hardware, big brand pickups, full size control pots, full shielding usually, better fretwork, better fitting and routing and most importantly much better wood and often bodies that are made of just two or even sometimes just one piece of wood.

Fenders don't cost so much more than your guitar simply because people like throwing away money on a brand name. They cost so much more because literally every single element is built better using better parts. That simple.
Quote by Metal-pro
My guitar is an Eagle Strat:I just want to hear your opinions on this. My guitar is really "easy-to-play" and I wonder how the differences are.

Thanks UGs!

Lets break it down... Fenders, Gibsons, Epiphones, Guild, Gretsch, Etc...

Are all made of wood, cut into a certain shape, and wired with electronics. some wood has better tonal qualities than others, and some electronics are better than others...
Quality depends on manufacturing techniques, and inspection intervals.

Finding a "Quality Instrument" is possible no matter who makes it, just as finding a poor quality one. If YOU like how it plays, feels, sounds, looks, etc... than it's a quality instrument to YOU.

Names are just who gets your money...

let the arguments begin
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 15, 2011,
When I pay for a name, I also pay for the quality (which is why I don't own any new gibsons ). I also find non Fender 'fender' guitars just don't have the right vibe, they are without a doubt good guitars in many cases, but they aren't quite right to me, like cover songs when you loved the original. Unfortunately, this goes for G+L too- I really wanted to love them, but they just don't hit the spot.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by grohl1987

OP, in all honesty yes, a 'real' Fender is going to be better than that, especially the ones made in Japan and America. Any guitar where the body wood is listed as simple 'solid wood' isn't going to be all that great. When they write 'solid wood' what that means is either the wood they've used is a species so unpoplar they refuse to name it because it would harm sales or that the body is made up of many, many pieces of different wood glued together so they can't name just one species. That's a hallmark of cheap beginner guitars.

With proper Fenders, especialy the Japanese and American ones, you get branded hardware, big brand pickups, full size control pots, full shielding usually, better fretwork, better fitting and routing and most importantly much better wood and often bodies that are made of just two or even sometimes just one piece of wood.

Fenders don't cost so much more than your guitar simply because people like throwing away money on a brand name. They cost so much more because literally every single element is built better using better parts. That simple.

+1 Well said, couldn't agree more.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Probably a more apples-to-apples question would be: In the $400 or so price range, how do MIM (Mexico) Fenders compare to similarly-priced non-Fender copies? (Or, at a lower price point, how do Squiers compare to non-"Fender" copies?)

Because certainly there are multiple price levels (and assumed quality levels) available from Fender, each with their own competition.
Quote by Strats&Cats
The general consensus is that if you want a REAL Fender, you go buy a Fender. And that's very true, if you want a good SSS strat, Fender is definitely the way to go.

However, that being said, other companies have made very similar (and very good) strats in the past so it's all up to opinion.

if you want a real fender, get a g&l.
Quote by Ashe_Mc
if you want a real fender, get a g&l.

This so much this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2