I've seen people here state that they don't feel comfortable gigging with a less expensive guitar (let's say <600USD). Why is that? Rigors of a show?

If a guitar sounds great and plays comfortably why not gig with it?
Quote by deepfat
I've seen people here state that they don't feel comfortable gigging with a less expensive guitar (let's say <600USD). Why is that? Rigors of a show?

if it holds a tune, and the jack and pots are solid (meaning they dont cut out)

then you should be fine.

make sure your AMP and guitar cable are reliable too though.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It's bascially because there are a lot of gear snobs here, who think that anything which costs less than a certain amount is crap.

Sometimes they're right, but they're also ignoring a lot of very good guitars out there which are as good as the significantly more expensive alternatives. Sure, the very cheap guitars are usually best avoided, but a lot of low to mid priced guitars are excellent value for money.

If you like the sound & playability of a cheaper guitar, use it. Don't worry about what name is written on the headstock, 90% of the audience won't care.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
As long as it stays in tune and sounds good who cares what the price is. I'd gig with a $20 guitar if it had good tone and held its tune. GaryBillington is right, there are alot of gear snobs out there. While Fender, Gibson, PRS all make great guitars, you are also paying for the name. Thats why I have two guitars that arent as well known as those 3, but the quality and tone are just as good for a lot less money.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
I've gigged with squiers and epiphones and had no trouble whatsoever.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by ChucklesMginty
It's not so much about price, but about brand too.

I'd happily gig with a lower end Mexi strat which you can get for about £300. But certain other brands in the same price range I really can't stand.

Just curious, what brands in the same price range are you talking about?
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by jj1565
if it holds a tune, and the jack and pots are solid (meaning they dont cut out)

then you should be fine.

Exactly.

I've gigged with all kinds of copies, Squiers, Johnsons... it just depends on whether the guitar is set up properly and if you can dial in a good tone.

Then, IF someone were to steal from the green room they would go for the other band's LP Custom instead of your frankenstrat.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm gigging with my newly aquired Agile AL-2500 tomorrow night...

used, I spent $285.00 US for the guitar and a hardshell case... It plays Awesome...

At this time, I don't own one guitar that I spent more than $500.00 for... I have 6.

I've owned American Fenders, Gibsons, and a high end Guild at one point. The greatest thing about those turned out to be that they held their value pretty good, so when times got hard, I could sell them...

Now, I play out 2 or 3 times a month... Hard to justify spending $3000.00 for a guitar, when I might not even make that much money playing music in a whole year...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
its simple, some people dont like playing that because of image. i pretty much gig with all the gear i have in my sig at some point or another but to be honest i would rather gig with cheaper gear sometimes just so 'my children' dont get ruined
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I own a PRS CE22 that cost $1500+ and it plays excelent for shows. But I also use some cheapo's too. I have a Den EVO XM ($100 new) that I completely restored with all new parts and electronics I'll gig it any day now. I have a Epiphone G-400 ($300 new) and I use it more than anything elese I have while giging.

I do this more because I really don't want to take my PRS to some venues. It is way easier to replace a cheap modded guitar than to replace a $1000+ one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
erm, in my last band i played a few gigs using a Squier strat and got a pretty decent tone out of it, but i was using alot of distortion. Frank Iero from My Chemical Romance uses an Epiphone Les Paul live still i think, he did on The Black Parade at least, and like them or not, they are still a really big band.
www.last.fm/user/hetfieldjr (its really old)

top 5 bands:
Every Time I Die
Parkway Drive
La Dispute
Mastodon
Brand New

Quote by smb
I listen to everything from stoner to doom.

Quote by Duffman123
Even sludge?
I wouldn't gig with anything not at least MIK because I just don't trust MII and MIC stuff to not cut out on me. I've had it happen too many times. Korean-made guitars have yet to fail me and Japanese and American-made guitars are as flawless as you could hope for.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This is just my experience, so I don't want to annoy anyone. But LTD, Dean, BC Rich and Ibanez.

Well its just a discussion so I am not going to get annoyed, but I do have to disagree. In my experience, I don't know much about the lower end Deans or LTD's but the lower end Ibanez guitars are all still pretty high quality and value for the money. I've owned a higher end mim fender strat and have played the standard mim guitars and I find that even the lower end Ibanez's were all higher quality. Stayed in tune better, played well. I guess to each his own right?
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by deadramones
erm, in my last band i played a few gigs using a Squier strat and got a pretty decent tone out of it, but i was using alot of distortion. Frank Iero from My Chemical Romance uses an Epiphone Les Paul live still i think, he did on The Black Parade at least, and like them or not, they are still a really big band.

He uses a Wilshire these days, he has an epiphone sig. He used the epi les pauls over gibsons because during the black parade era he was working on the sig so epiphone will have been feeding him free gear, probably elitist series.
Dude, where's my band?
i think the only reason for it except potentially unreliable electronics that might fail and maybe the potential for tuning problems if the guitar isn't setup properly (neither of these problems are exclusive to cheaper guitars though) is some people are insecure about something and have to be seen playing something expensive.

it's a bit like people buying a new car every 6 months just for the sake of having a new car, i guess.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have 2 issues in gigging cheap guitars: 1) component quality; on a cheap guitar, tuners, pickups, pots, jacks and hardware tend to be cheaper. that means that it wont sound as good as a better one, and certain things (like tuners) will give you serious grief on-stage if they aren't working just right. 2) playability; a cheap guitar generally wont play as well as a better one (I know theres people who'll tell you their agile plays as well as an ESP... they're either lying outright or just don't know any better). In a longer show, fatigue can become an issue, so having better playability is quite key

I have nothing against playing a cheap guitar live (I still bring my $250 godin SD out to most gigs because it hasn't let me down yet), so long as it works. its not that cheap guitars are inherently bad, its that they are the result of cost-saving measures, most of which impede performance
I've had a few nice guitars here and there as well as access to be able to play a few nice ones live. Right now I'd be perfectly happy gigging with my Epiphone SG Special. Their cheapest model, but the pots and tuners are upgraded (I use .13s when I play anyway, never gonna lose tuning). It sounds great, the pickups are wonderful, it talks very nicely with my AC15. I simply have no reason to risk using anything super nice in a gig right now.
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Because they buy better gear. It's that simple There are Mexican Fenders and there are American Fenders. There's Gibson and then there's Epiphone. Why get the cheap version of a guitar when you can get the premium version that is improved in almost every way? Most big companies work like that. There are a cheap lines to offer a similar guitar for a much cheaper price. I'm sure if you have 5,000 to get a guitar, you're not going to get a Squier or Epiphone. You're going to get something more expensive. When you have better guitars, why gig with a worse one? You got the expensive one for a reason.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Because they buy better gear. It's that simple There are Mexican Fenders and there are American Fenders. There's Gibson and then there's Epiphone. Why get the cheap version of a guitar when you can get the premium version that is improved in almost every way? Most big companies work like that. There are a cheap lines to offer a similar guitar for a much cheaper price. I'm sure if you have 5,000 to get a guitar, you're not going to get a Squier or Epiphone. You're going to get something more expensive. When you have better guitars, why gig with a worse one? You got the expensive one for a reason.

there are actually people who buy expensive guitars that never leave the house, because they use their cheaper guitars for gigs - that way they don't mind so much if it gets damaged or stolen or something. for these people the expensive guitars are used for messing around with at home. i see no reason to have a problem with people who do this - they paid money, it's their guitar, it's their choice what they do with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Blompcube
there are actually people who buy expensive guitars that never leave the house, because they use their cheaper guitars for gigs - that way they don't mind so much if it gets damaged or stolen or something. for these people the expensive guitars are used for messing around with at home. i see no reason to have a problem with people who do this - they paid money, it's their guitar, it's their choice what they do with it.

That's part of the reason I almost preferred my Electromatics to the 'real' Gretsch or Gibsons I used to have. I wasn't scared to drop them!!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Oh I dunno, maybe because some people don't like playing cheap guitars?

You're basically asking why people don't like driving Toyota Corollas when they can afford Corvettes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You're basically asking why people don't like driving Toyota Corollas when they can afford Corvettes.

just because you can afford a corvette doesn't mean it's a practical thing for you to own. a corvette is useless to someone who has a PA system, a guitar amp and a few guitars they need to transport to a gig

for many reasons not everyone needs to have an expensive guitar either.

Wow, there ARE some serious gear snobs here. Like they wouldn't be caught dead with an Epi or Squire even if they do play better.
Quote by deepfat
Wow, there ARE some serious gear snobs here. Like they wouldn't be caught dead with an Epi or Squire even if they do play better.

it's not that.

if you have money. maybe you're a little older and have
a nice job. why not buy what you want.

it doesn t mean that person is a snob.

it just means they can easily buy and replace
what they want.

I don't see a lot of " I wouldn't be caught dead
statements.".
just, "I prefer to play----".
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I'm the opposite, I don't want to gig my expensive guitars in case they get stolen or damaged.
Quote by JackalUK
I'm the opposite, I don't want to gig my expensive guitars in case they get stolen or damaged.

Agreed. My most prized guitar I use for recording and jamming at home, and the less prized ones go on the road. To much possibility of it getting lost, damaged, or stolen at a show.

Besides, at a show, 90% of people don't really care about how your guitar sounds, so as long as it (a) looks cool and (b) holds together then the audience will be suitably happy.
Gear;
Epiphone Dot, Hondo II LP (wi S. Duncans), Squire Affinity Strat, Fender Deluxe 112 Plus (85w)

Best Bands Seen; AC/DC, Metallica, Sex Pistols, Iggy & The Stooges, The Cure, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, The Answer, The Stranglers.
Quote by cuscus97

at a show, 90% of people don't really care about how your guitar sounds, so as long as it (a) looks cool and (b) holds together then the audience will be suitably happy.

this is seriously it. i personally like to have good/great tone at a show but for me i play in a cover band so it doesnt matter. 2/150 people might notice what guitar you have, how it sounds, etc. the others are drunk and want to dance
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by JackalUK

i'm not saying i'd bring my most expensive gear into a bad situation.

more that, im used to playing, feel comfortable playing, certain guitars,
and don't feel like i'm a snob just because i happen to use them out.

(not that you used that term, but others in the thread seem to have
jumped to that conclusion.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Just to weigh in...

Fact is that at a 500 person venue, unless it's a battle of the bands, or something where Musicians will hang out, only a handful of people are going to realize that the Gibson Les Paul that you're playing is worth $3000.00, and out of the few that realize it, chances are that none are going to care, except that they realize you have good tools for your trade.

when I was in Law Enforcement, I learned that "Statistically" 1 out of every 100,000 people is a criminal, but 1000 are opportunists, meaning that if they saw your guitar sitting alone for more than 5 minutes, they'd take it, but only if they were certain that they wouldn't get caught. (ever hear the term "keeping honest people honest"?) So, your guitar getting stolen from a venue where you are the one keeping track of your gear, while yes, it happenes, is "statistically" unlikely. Some musicians are up to taking that small risk, some, are not. I've had a 200.00 Japanese "no name" strat copy stolen while it sat next to an American Tele Plus, so the brand in my case, didn't make a difference, thanks to an idiot thief.

As I stated in my previous post, when I played professionally, I had good tools, that I knew I could count on just as I did when I was a professional Mechanic. I didn't have walmart tools in my tool box because I couldn't rely on them to make my living. I don't make my living playing music anymore, and it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of money when the "Return on Investment" will take that long to recoupe. I've been able to find good quality instruments that will get the job done, and not break the bank. I get a variety of instruments for the same money as one, very good quality, expensive guitar. (and it keeps my wife happier with my hobby) but trust me, Playing a $400.00 Epiphone is not the same as a $3000.00 Gibson. In my case it's a matter of reward vs. return.

Playing an expensive guitar at a gig, is just using good tools... If your worried about it getting stolen or damaged, either don't let it out of your sight, or don't take it. It doesn't make you a snob one way or another.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Only one of my guitars cost over a grand, and while it is my favorite guitar, I love the others as well. I would easily gig with any of mine (except maybe the V, it has some setup issues that need to be resolved).
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
it's really all about being gig worthy to me. i don't mind using cheaper guitars as long as they have been made gig worthy. this often means replacing the jack and some or all of the electronics (depends on how cheap we are talking) or perhaps the tuners. the other thing has to do with the venues played. if i'm going to a nice venue that i'm familiar with and comfortable with then bringing my better gear is fine. if it's a new place or a dive then i'd rather use cheaper stuff that if something happens to i won't have to get to upset.
Quote by deepfat

It's not being a gear snob. I picked an Ibanez Prestige because it was better than the others. I picked an American Deluxe Strat because it was better than MIMs and it was a better value than the American Standards. I have an Epi G-400 and I won't be caught dead playing it unless the situation is very dire. Not because of the headstock but because my other guitars are so much better than it.
Quote by Papabear505
Just to weigh in...

Fact is that at a 500 person venue, unless it's a battle of the bands, or something where Musicians will hang out, only a handful of people are going to realize that the Gibson Les Paul that you're playing is worth $3000.00, and out of the few that realize it, chances are that none are going to care, except that they realize you have good tools for your trade.

when I was in Law Enforcement, I learned that "Statistically" 1 out of every 100,000 people is a criminal, but 1000 are opportunists, meaning that if they saw your guitar sitting alone for more than 5 minutes, they'd take it, but only if they were certain that they wouldn't get caught. (ever hear the term "keeping honest people honest"?) So, your guitar getting stolen from a venue where you are the one keeping track of your gear, while yes, it happenes, is "statistically" unlikely. Some musicians are up to taking that small risk, some, are not. I've had a 200.00 Japanese "no name" strat copy stolen while it sat next to an American Tele Plus, so the brand in my case, didn't make a difference, thanks to an idiot thief.

As I stated in my previous post, when I played professionally, I had good tools, that I knew I could count on just as I did when I was a professional Mechanic. I didn't have walmart tools in my tool box because I couldn't rely on them to make my living. I don't make my living playing music anymore, and it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of money when the "Return on Investment" will take that long to recoupe. I've been able to find good quality instruments that will get the job done, and not break the bank. I get a variety of instruments for the same money as one, very good quality, expensive guitar. (and it keeps my wife happier with my hobby) but trust me, Playing a $400.00 Epiphone is not the same as a $3000.00 Gibson. In my case it's a matter of reward vs. return.

Playing an expensive guitar at a gig, is just using good tools... If your worried about it getting stolen or damaged, either don't let it out of your sight, or don't take it. It doesn't make you a snob one way or another.

i could tell we had a lot in common.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by deepfat

See, what you've done here is to invent and then question an argument that doesn't actually exist. Nobody's ever said they wouldn't play a cheap guitar at a gig, just that they wouldn't play a crappy one.

There are people who don't feel comfortable playing cheaper guitars at shows. We'll say it's because they would rather play an instrument that sounds better and is more reliable, comfortable, etc., because that's what's been said in this thread. That negates the second half of your question, because it's obvious that people would prefer to use an instrument they actually liked.

Then you ask why you wouldn't use a cheap guitar if it sounds great and plays comfortably. The falsehood comes in because every person in this thread, and everywhere else I've ever read, would use such a guitar.

The problem is, people's tastes often lead them to like expensive guitars more. So it's not that they have something against cheap guitars, as you suggest, but that they've found a guitar that works better for them that happens to be more expensive. The only situation in which people feel uncomfortable bringing an instrument they like to a gig is if it's too expensive - just the opposite of your claims of snobbery.

So, unless anybody wants to come forward and say that they wouldn't play a guitar - a good guitar, that they liked a lot - just because it was cheap, the premise of this thread is flawed.
I wish I had enough money to *afford* more than one guitar ^_^

Still depending on my Yamaha strat copy...
Quote by Roc8995
See, what you've done here is to invent and then question an argument that doesn't actually exist. Nobody's ever said they wouldn't play a cheap guitar at a gig, just that they wouldn't play a crappy one.

There are people who don't feel comfortable playing cheaper guitars at shows. We'll say it's because they would rather play an instrument that sounds better and is more reliable, comfortable, etc., because that's what's been said in this thread. That negates the second half of your question, because it's obvious that people would prefer to use an instrument they actually liked.

Then you ask why you wouldn't use a cheap guitar if it sounds great and plays comfortably. The falsehood comes in because every person in this thread, and everywhere else I've ever read, would use such a guitar.

The problem is, people's tastes often lead them to like expensive guitars more. So it's not that they have something against cheap guitars, as you suggest, but that they've found a guitar that works better for them that happens to be more expensive. The only situation in which people feel uncomfortable bringing an instrument they like to a gig is if it's too expensive - just the opposite of your claims of snobbery.

So, unless anybody wants to come forward and say that they wouldn't play a guitar - a good guitar, that they liked a lot - just because it was cheap, the premise of this thread is flawed.

Could not be said better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X