Page 1 of 2
I am terrible embarrassed to admit this, but here goes...

Our first band practice after replacing all our stolen gear was a bit of a mess. Long story short, the other guitarists rig wasn't working so there was a lot of cable switching and signal routing changes going on trying to figure out what was broken. This led to two completely idiot mistakes on my part...

1. I played for about a minute on the nitro before realizing it wasn't plugged into a speaker (there were sparks....)

2. We had the output of his amp running into the output of my amp for about 10 seconds (I am going to blame him for this one since he didn't tell me he was switching anything.)

At first everything seemed ok, but once I tried to turn up, the amp wouldn't get very much volume (past 12 o'clock and I didn't need earplugs) and it didn't get much louder than that.

After one song, the sound just cut out. I turned everything off to take a peak around and everything seemed ok so I tried again. Halfway through another song and it happened again.

At this point I knew something was wrong....

Any idea what it could be? All the tubes were lit so if it is those I can't really tell...

Also, yes, I am a dumb ass...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
The tubes can blow and still be lit.

The first thing i would check is the fuse. Then replace all tubes. Hopefully that fixes. If not your screwed and you blew a transformer or something from playing without a cab.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
can you not replace a transformer?

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka
can you not replace a transformer?

You can. Let me ask you what kind of amp is it? Might not be worth the money or hassle unless you can fix yourself.
Its a splawn nitro. Brand new. I cannot tell you how much I am kicking myself right now...

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka
Its a splawn nitro. Brand new. I cannot tell you how much I am kicking myself right now...

Ouch....yeah man. Worth fixing for sure.

Given that you barely played with no load it might (hopefully) just be tubes.

Sometimes even a brand new amp will have a bad or weak tube stock.

If you have 1 of each pre and power tube that you know is good start swapping 1 at a time to find a bad tube.

Check fuse first, then tubes, then tech.

Good luck I feel for you. Hopefully you know a cheap tech.

Edit: since its brand new, assuming you bought from dealer. I would just bring it back and play dumb like they sold you a bad amp.
Last edited by maddnotez at Dec 15, 2011,
No load, and then plugged into another amp's output? You fried the output transformer. That's going to be expensive.
Lol please do not tell me you started a splawn nitro without a load
Troll or just stupid?
anyway ya OT
It won't be fuse, because that wouldn't allow any power to a particular section of the amp... So it wouldn't work at all with a blown fuse. (Unless there's some interesting fusing in the Nitro I don't know about.) Tubes are pretty unlikely from what you've said, in my opinion, but worth a shot.

Honestly if you saw sparks when you ran it with no load then I'd guess the transformer is going. Pretty shitty... That's literally the most expensive part of the amp.

Get a tech involved ASAP. Good luck man, I hope it turns out alright. We all have our moments.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Lol please do not tell me you started a splawn nitro without a load
Troll or just stupid?
anyway ya OT

Was this not really pointless and hypocritical.

You angus are the troll here.
You said there were sparks out of the Nitro? Can you clarify this?
Quote by tubetime86
It won't be fuse, because that wouldn't allow any power to a particular section of the amp... So it wouldn't work at all with a blown fuse. (Unless there's some interesting fusing in the Nitro I don't know about.) Tubes are pretty unlikely from what you've said, in my opinion, but worth a shot.

Honestly if you saw sparks when you ran it with no load then I'd guess the transformer is going. Pretty shitty... That's literally the most expensive part of the amp.

Get a tech involved ASAP. Good luck man, I hope it turns out alright. We all have our moments.

Yeah they are just basic troubleshooting that I always check regardless of what I did to the amp. Sparks are not good. again best bet, bring it back to store and act like they sold you a bad amp and get a new 1.

They can afford it dont worry
Quote by maddnotez
Was this not really pointless and hypocritical.

You angus are the troll here.

No. Its not pointless
An eslap was needed.
Quote by R45VT
You said there were sparks out of the Nitro? Can you clarify this?

When we were playing, some light flashed from the inside of the amp by the first power tube, which, now that I think about it, is where the transformer is...

aaaaggggghhhhh.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
you'll be looking at roughly $300-$350 for the ot on that amp plus shipping back to Splawn.

I'd say you most assuridly blew the OT

Sorry to hear you F'ed up a great amp on day one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't turn it in as if it was shipped to you broken. That's a pretty shitty move. If anything email Scott at Splawn and tell him exactly what happened and pray for mercy. If it were a Marshall or something I might turn a blind eye to some less-than-honest dealings, but Scott Splawn is a craftsman. You don't cheat craftsman.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Don't turn it in as if it was shipped to you broken. That's a pretty shitty move. If anything email Scott at Splawn and tell him exactly what happened and pray for mercy. If it were a Marshall or something I might turn a blind eye to some less-than-honest dealings, but Scott Splawn is a craftsman. You don't cheat craftsman.

Yeah but he probably bought it at Guitar Center or some gay corporate place who thrives off of raping musicians. So in that case let them deal with it.
Quote by tubetime86

No, I wouldn't cheat the guy. He is way too cool. There is a tech here that works pretty cheap and is really good. I am planning on getting him to take a look at it.

Just so we are clear, I do get output (at least for a while). Would that happen with a busted OT? I always assumed that it would prevent any output...

Quote by maddnotez
Yeah but he probably bought it at Guitar Center or some gay corporate place who thrives off of raping musicians. So in that case let them deal with it.

I bought it from wild west guitars. They are also a bunch of cool guys that I woudn't rip off. If it was GC, I would have no problem.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Last edited by shikkaka at Dec 15, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
No. Its not pointless
An eslap was needed.

ok I guess. But I am sure he learned a lesson here.

I learned the hard way so I can relate.

I thought it would be awesome to use the pre from my Crate Stealth and Power from my 6505+...Only did not know I needed a dummy load.

Ouch!! ruined 2 amps that day lol..
Quote by maddnotez

Only if it was used. Splawn amps are factory direct, thats why you can get a completely handwired amp for $1600 new. And they are quite amazing amps too.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Only if it was used. Splawn amps are factory direct, thats why you can get a completely handwired amp for $1600 new. And they are quite amazing amps too.

I have yet to try one. I need to hit up 311
This is my second splawn. I had a promod which got stolen. Maybe splawn and I aren't meant to be.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka
This is my second splawn. I had a promod which got stolen. Maybe splawn and I aren't meant to be.

My VHT has been good to me.

Maybe try an Orange Rockerverb?

You love the Splawn dont lie to yourself
get it fixed, and never let anyone touch it again.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

seriously........I freaked out on my bandmates when they decided to rearrange when I wasnt there and left my amp and cab unconnected.

I have only let one guy use my amp besides my other guitarist and it was a pretty big band at a show. (they blew tubes the night before) even then I was reluctant
Quote by maddnotez
seriously........I freaked out on my bandmates when they decided to rearrange when I wasnt there and left my amp and cab unconnected.

I have only let one guy use my amp besides my other guitarist and it was a pretty big band at a show. (they blew tubes the night before) even then I was reluctant

yep I know the fealing. Even though I may not have the most expensive gear, it is mine and I can not afford to replace it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by maddnotez
My VHT has been good to me.

Maybe try an Orange Rockerverb?

You love the Splawn dont lie to yourself

I do. They sound so good. The nitro kills.

Quote by Robbgnarly

This is my new plan. I am usually super careful. Checking, double checking. But there were so many cables and I got confused...

Is there a *shoots self in face* emoticon?

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka

Is there a *shoots self in face* emoticon?

is not severe enough

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka
is not severe enough

well hear you go, couldn't find one of getting screwed by a bear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The hammer one is better.

The bear rape might be a bit too severe though.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by shikkaka

It only hurts for the first couple of seconds
Quote by shikkaka

No, it would be perfect

Just make sure that if it is the OT the tech fixing it can get the exact one that scott uses, or your tone will change
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get in touch with Scott... Seriously. If for no other reason he may have some input for your tech, as I'm sure he cringes every time one of his amps finds its way to a random tech he doesn't know. Also as I said, he may feel pity on you and send you a T-shirt or maybe more.

You never know until you try.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I decided I would give him a call. I definitely want to get one of the transformers he uses though. I hope they aren't too expensive.

This tech is really good. He did some work on my promod and was extremely impressed with Splawn quality.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
One word: WARRANTY

Normally I'd send something back under warranty even if i secretly knew it was my fault (like the first time I built a PC, screwed the motherboard straight into the case with no standoffs and fried it ).

That said, Splawn are a small company and I'd be much more reluctant to rip them off - I'd suggest giving them a call or email and just explaining it honestly. They might take pity and do a cheap/free repair.

High quality amps like Splawn generally use excellent quality, over-engineered parts - so there's a good chance it's not badly damaged at all. If you genuinely saw sparks and that wasn't jsut hyperbole, that's cause for concern though. As soon as anything happens on an amp that's enough to cause sparks/smoke, the fuse should blow.
Hope fuly his OT's aren't proprietary, like Soldano and some others are.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Could be one of a few things (I once accidentally turned my Hiwatt on with no cab):
Blown transformer - this will be a pain, but still worth replacing
Blown tubes - still annoying, but not the end of the world
Some wiring melted (what happened to me. £30 for an amp tech to fix).

A pain in the arse for sure, but it's not the end of the world.
Still... I feel for you. Always worse when it happens on such nice gear.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Page 1 of 2