Hey guys,
Im really confused on how to setup my rig.

Ive got a GH50L - which is obviously only 1 channel amp.
Ive also got a Boss GT8 (nice for cleans)

Is there any way that i can use my amps distortion - but be switchable with clean sounds from the Boss GT8?

Im looking for a Reuben sort of distortion - a raw distorted tone - but cannot seem to get it out of the Boss GT8. But then again im plugging into the Boss input then the output straight into the front of my amp.

Now i dont know how to use my effects loop properly - and ive heard of lots of different ways including: the 4 cable method.

Any help on achieving a good Reuben type sound would be a great help.

If anyone are wondering who Reuben are - well here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VyoP4C9UA0&feature=related

Thanks guys. (p.s back after 3 or so years from UG!)
My Stuff
The good
Ibanez RG550
Laney GH50L (Head)
Laney 4x12 TT (Cab)
Jim Dunlop Wah-Wah
Boss ME-8 Multi Effects
Marshall Blues Breaker
The Okay
H/H 100 Watt Combo 1975
Ibanez GRX 420
The Ugly
Marshall 15 Watt MG
Strat Copy
The GH50L has a switchable gainstage that you can activate with any standard footswitch. If you play a bit with the volumepot on your guitar, you can change from a dirty clean just before breakup to a nice distorted tone.

Until your GT8 has something like a relay, you can't use it to switch your amps distortion. All you could do is set your amp to clean, and use the GT8's distortion. If you want to do that, I'd advise bypassing the the Laney's Preamp by pluging directly into the return of the FX-loop.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
So Guitar - input on amp.

And FX send - GT8 - FX return.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
So Guitar - input on amp.

And FX send - GT8 - FX return.

No, Guitar -> GT8 input, then GT8 Output -> Amp's FX return
That's the way you do it if you want to bypass the preamp and hook the GT8 straight into the power amp.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Well, the 4Cm would only work if the GT8 has the FXLoop between the Ampmodelling and the Effects-section. A lot of MultiFX just have an InsertFX-loop that is before everything (or after everything). I'm not familiar with the GT8, so I really can't tell.

The correct signal path for the 4CM would be (IIRC and I'm by no means sure.) Guitar --> Input GT8 ---> FX Send GT8 --> Input GH50L ---> FX Send Laney ---> FX Return GT8 ---> Outpout GT8 ---> Laney FX Return.

Basiclly you have Guitar --> Preamp1 ---> Preamp2 ---> FX Section (Gt8) ---> Poweramp.

However, the 4CM won't bring TS anyfurther, since he wants to use the cleans from the Gt8 and the distortion from the Laney, which is pretty much impossible with his setup. (Unless he get's a second footswitch for the switchable Gainstage.)

At least if I'm not totally mistaken.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

Not really bothered on what to do but could i use my GT8 to switch the amp gain off, and then use just effects from the GT8? I love my amps distortion - but i also do play some clean now and again so just looking for a way to gig with it you know? Dont want to give up on the GH50L!
My Stuff
The good
Ibanez RG550
Laney GH50L (Head)
Laney 4x12 TT (Cab)
Jim Dunlop Wah-Wah
Boss ME-8 Multi Effects
Marshall Blues Breaker
The Okay
H/H 100 Watt Combo 1975
Ibanez GRX 420
The Ugly
Marshall 15 Watt MG
Strat Copy
You could, but I guess you would need a midi relay for that. I assume that the GT8 has an midi output? You would then hook that up to a midi-relay that triggers the Switchable gainstage.

Something like that: http://www.guitarcenter.com/MIDI-Solutions-Relay-702505-i1154392.gc

I'm not sure if there are cheaper solutions, maybe someone comes with something smart.

Another thing you could do is just get a standard footswtich and press as well the patch select on the GT8 as well as the footswitch. Bit of a hassle but cheaper then going midi. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Solutions-LWS21-Universal-Latching-Footswitch-104208756-i1323844.gc

Edit: You're lucky, the GT8 has something called "Relay Switching." I'm not sure how exactly it works on the gT8, but you can use it to change the amp Channel. Your best bet would probably to read the manual.

Gear:

My Lyrics and Poems

Last edited by OrangeWalls at Dec 15, 2011,